Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Coolant and other fluids....

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  chickenwire 
#1 ·
So with all of the posts about waterpumps and coolant again, I wanted to just bring up the fact that none of the Kappa cars should still be running all of their original fluids. It’s been over 8 years since the last car rolled off the line. And it’s been over 12 years for the first cars, so they should be very close to having a second change of fluids already. The coolant, brake, diff and transmission fluids should have all been changed by now on every single Kappa car that’s still around. Also other items to look at with all cars. If you are still running the original tires, it’s time to dig deep in those pockets and buy new shoes for your baby. Also original batteries (I’m guilty here!) should be replaced. Again, some cars should be on their 3rd battery.

Reactions: Sting Ya
#2 ·
some fluid numbers...

#3 ·
To add :GM recommends the coolant changed at least every 5 years and with DexCool /Trans and Rear End at the 100000 mile mark / Brake Fluid at 60000 mile mark . Of course a lot depends on how you drive the car my stuff gets changed every 3 years no matter the mileage the other thing is that I do all my own maintenance . I'm sure someone will pipe up with this is overkill but for me I plan on keeping my car and part of that philosophy is having it in the best condition that I can

#4 ·
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more comments on this post!! So 1 of 3 things is happening here.
1. Everyone adheres to this already and has had all their fluids changed - Highly unlikely!!! Especially since just last year we had guys that had 3 or 4k on their car asking if they should do their first oil change!!! LMAO
2. Nobody really cares to follow the recommendations of the book - Highly likely...see the comment on line 1
3. Nobody really wants to talk about it because it costs money.....

I meant to put more into the post initially but the boss came walking by and gave me more work!! So, after the battery, check your brakes as well. If you have the original pads, they might be old and brittle and have chunks missing. Check your serpentine belt for cracks. Check your exhaust, especially if the car sits outside or is stored in a garage/barn with a dirt floor. While you're checking your exhaust, check for any fluid leaks. Those of you that have '07 GXPs, and have over 70k, it might be time to think about a timing chain replacement. IMSMC the early '07s were built with inferior guides that wear prematurely or fail.

And this is personal preference, but I would either change oil right before storage or right after getting it out. Not something that has to be done, but I recommend it. I used to change it on my Mustang the day of storage and the day I got it out of storage. And I never had an issue with it....I had over 160k on it and never had a major engine issue...not even a waterpump!

#6 ·
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more comments on this post!!
OK, well I have a 10-yr-old car with 22K miles on her. I've changed everything but the trans and diff fluids. Not so sure I have to worry about those two because of age - more because of miles I would think (hope).

Discuss.

#7 ·
if you're still going on an original battery; I would look for the battery on sale, buy it and either replace it or store it if you can find a good enough sale.

I had mine replaced and it was a lot more than I was expecting for a battery.

#10 ·
If anyone wants to get their battery replaced, GM has a pretty good offer right now.

Solstice Battery

$134.95 for the Professional Silver which would be the OEM equivalent
$149.95 for the Professional Gold which has a 42 month replacement warranty.

Prices are good to the end of the year.

The dealer will charge you one hour labour for installation.

#8 · (Edited)
T.S . You should be fine I initially changed my fluids to upgrade to Royal Purple and GM in their wisdom put drain & fill plugs on the trans and diff making it pretty easy to change out the fluids ,the trans being a bit more work . These service intervals are recommendations from the manufacturers to keep your car running in the best possible condition especially now with newer cars getting over 200000 miles on a regular basis . The world is full of people who if you did not tell them to change the oil they probably would not and come back with nobody told me to do it . How many people do you know who have never read the service manual that comes with every car or can change a tire .? As for the battery comment I would not buy a battery and store it you want it to be fresh . I ran into this scenario when I purchased my Optima I could have bought one from the local autostore but who knows how long that thing has been sitting on a shelf years maybe ? I bought mine from Summit Racing because of their high turn over I know I was getting one that was made recently and it's always on a battery maintainer when not in use .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.