Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way to work while descending a hill my coolant light flashed on very briefly. Temp was normal and the light did not come back on during the rest of my 25 mile drive to work.

I went out and checked on my car at lunch, and it looks like every drop in the coolant system is on the ground except for a very small skim in the overflow bottle.

I park my car in a clean garage and haven't noticed a single drop prior to this.

My question is; I need to fill the system to attempt the drive home. i have some pre-mixed dexcool from the parts store across the street. Do I need to be concerned about "burping" the system or other issues pertaining to refilling it? Any advice?

Sorry for my ignorance if this topic is covered in the forum elsewhere; I'm still working and only had a minute to post this (and no time to search)

I have no idea where the leak is, but seeing as how it gave me no warning I'm hesitant to believe that it is the pump, only because of previous experience with other cars. I've never had one leak like this from a water pump, it's usually a slow process or at least slower than this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check all hose clamps to and from the radiator one of mine blew on a drive once and left my coolant bottle empty it happens really fast so you might have not noticed it if that's the problem but new clamps and coolant to filler up (also it can happen radomly like mine did, everything was fine then a clamp blew it was about 6 year old so I guess it had to go it was the factory one as well

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
It's a roll of the die, pew. Could be the water pump as others have indicated that it happened catastrophically, but as you indicated, most do not. I'd check the lines before you dump a bunch more money on the ground.

As for bleeding the system of air, I found the process of removing a return line from the top of the engine (2.4l anyway) to let the air out, detaching the fill bottle and lifting as high as possible, then filling worked excellent for me. First time was the last time I had to do it.

The danger is that if you get an air pocket and the coolant isn't moving, you'll also get false temperature readings on the DIC. So you think you're okay temp wise, but you may not be and could cause some $$ problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Pew,

Hopefully it's something simple like a clamp or hose coming loose, but if it keeps happening you may want to keep the possibility of the water pump being the cause in mind.

A considerably low level of coolant was alerted to me by the mechanic when I got an oil change and not by the DIC... I hadn't noticed my coolant was leaking either even after I was keeping an eye out for it after having to top mine off a couple of times. Mine was due to the water pump which was only causing it to leak when running rather than constantly like a bad hose would, making it harder to pool up a noticeable amount of coolant.

The leak on mine was coming from around a 1/4 of the way in on the axle from the passenger's side. The engine temperature wasn't originally an issue since I never was alerted to it and when I'd scroll through the DIC, the temp was in a fine range. My drive was mostly highway giving more air-flow and a steadier throttle than city so it seems my specific drive's conditions was able to cover enough of the loss from the defunct pump.

I actually just took mine in for it and the dealer said it was covered under the power-train warranty without a second thought (2008 GXP, 48k miles, & not the original owner).

Hope that helps.

- Erik

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made it

Made it home, it is the water pump that is leaking for sure.

Made me nervous the whole way home though, as the temp never got over 185. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen it level out anywhere other than 199 (I was thinking of you, chickenwire).

Still, got it here and now the fun begins! I have research to do before I get it off.

Thanks again guys, you were a huge help.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Mine was a lot like Erik's description above. So gradual there was no pooling or drip and the only evidence was a slight trace of reddish residue on the passenger side of the engine bay - could barely see it.

Pew - what year is your car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was a lot like Erik's description above. So gradual there was no pooling or drip and the only evidence was a slight trace of reddish residue on the passenger side of the engine bay - could barely see it.

Pew - what year is your car?

This text is here to overcome the ridiculous 10 word minimum.

·
Registered
612 Posts
CW might be alluding to the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty under which it would/could be covered. Mine was replaced last week under the warrantly. Do you know the exact date your car was first sold? It's a wild shot but, hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CW might be alluding to the 5yr/100K powertrain warranty under which it would/could be covered. Mine was replaced last week under the warrantly. Do you know the exact date your car was first sold? It's a wild shot but, hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I actually called the dealership today in my desperation, and my warranty expired in May. Must have been a 5 year??

I'm desperate to get this going again at this point because my beater blew a head gasket this morning. Cars....

·
Registered
432 Posts
My water pump failed the exact same way catastrophically. It was fine I take a two hour drive arrive at destination and my coolant light comes on. I get out and pop the hood tank is empty, walk around to passenger side of car and find it pissed itself in the parking lot! Luckily I still had the 5 year on mine and the dealer replaced it (though it took them almost two weeks to do it)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Pew - read up on the waterpump threads and have an in-depth discussion with your service guy before they get started on it (assuming you're not doing it yourself.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts