Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Kind of in an odd situation that may turn a few dollar problem into potentially hundreds, depending on the solution.

I needed to replace the coolant temperature sensor on my mom's 2008 Solstice. Should've taken maybe 10 - 15 minutes. Got the old one out no problem and quickly put in the new and caught the little bit of liquid that came out. Easy to clean.

Start tightening the new one and it just snaps, leaving half inside the threads and the connector part in my hand. I didn't tighten very hard, just enough to snug it. Did I actually overtighten it or did I just get a weak part? It's pictured below so you can see what happened.

What is the solution for digging that threaded half of the sensor out of the engine? Does this require a mechanic to tear that section open and fish it out, costing hundreds? Or is there a way for me to jimmy it out and replace it with another new one?

If I had to take it to a mechanic, could I drive the car a short distance or would it require a tow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old and new together. The new one is the broken one.

Other half of the new sensor is on the inside of the engine. Threaded, but there is nothing to grasp from the outside.

Located near the bottom of the image. This is the passenger side of the vehicle. Look for that white line.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Howdy,

Kind of in an odd situation that may turn a few dollar problem into potentially hundreds, depending on the solution.

I needed to replace the coolant temperature sensor on my mom's 2008 Solstice. Should've taken maybe 10 - 15 minutes. Got the old one out no problem and quickly put in the new and caught the little bit of liquid that came out. Easy to clean.

Start tightening the new one and it just snaps, leaving half inside the threads and the connector part in my hand. I didn't tighten very hard, just enough to snug it. Did I actually overtighten it or did I just get a weak part? It's pictured below so you can see what happened.

What is the solution for digging that threaded half of the sensor out of the engine? Does this require a mechanic to tear that section open and fish it out, costing hundreds? Or is there a way for me to jimmy it out and replace it with another new one?

If I had to take it to a mechanic, could I drive the car a short distance or would it require a tow?

View attachment 108685

View attachment 108686
Other half of the new sensor is on the inside of the engine. Threaded, but there is nothing to grasp from the outside.

View attachment 108687
Located near the bottom of the image. This is the passenger side of the vehicle. Look for that white line.
Howdy,

View attachment 108685

View attachment 108686

View attachment 108687
If there is no fluid leakage, you would probably be OK to drive to a garage. With the hex flange broken off as it is, It shouldn't be hard to remove. My first try would be to use an easy-out. If you don't have one handy, try lightly tapping the pointy end of a file in there, or a screwdriver. just enough to get a bite in the brass. It should screw out fairly easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy Bill,

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of easy out, but may try your method first since it's brand new and not rusted or seized. About to grab a new sensor though 😐

I'll update this thread on my results a little later today.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Howdy Bill,

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of easy out, but may try your method first since it's brand new and not rusted or seized. About to grab a new sensor though 😐

I'll update this thread on my results a little later today.
If all else fails, that thermostat housing that it screws into will come off the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Well, flathead screwdriver and... twist. Fancy, I know. Pictures below show what I did. High mechanical stuff.

A little coolant got out, but an easy fix. Started the car and currently just letting it run for a bit to see how it goes. Should be fine. There's other issues with this infernal machine, but those will be for an actual mechanic, lol.

I appreciate the responses you gave Bill and hope you have a great weekend.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,457 Posts
Don't you just love a problem to solution in just 5 posts? Well done gentlemen!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Yes, nicely done.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Can I ask why you were replacing this to begin with? Was it do to a CEL? If so, this might not be your issue, but report back either way....

Very nicely done!! My father snapped a plug off in his '73 Grand Prix when I was a little boy (I think I was 3 or 4). It was our only car and you had to go through the wheel well to get at the back 2 plugs. It took him 3 hours of whittling away at it until he managed to get a box-end around it and back it out. That was the last time he did plugs on that car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I ask why you were replacing this to begin with? Was it do to a CEL? If so, this might not be your issue, but report back either way....

Very nicely done!! My father snapped a plug off in his '73 Grand Prix when I was a little boy (I think I was 3 or 4). It was our only car and you had to go through the wheel well to get at the back 2 plugs. It took him 3 hours of whittling away at it until he managed to get a box-end around it and back it out. That was the last time he did plugs on that car.
According to my mother, it was the CEL. She took it to AutoZone, they checked the code, and determined it was the coolant temperature sensor (not sure on the exact conversation or how they reached that conclusion). She simply called me and asked me to install it. I didn't know of this until she already bought it.

CEL wasn't on while I let it run, but I'm not sure how long it would take for the computer to turn it back on if the problem isn't actually solved. AutoZone did exchange it for free, so she's not really out any cash. I'll see if she remembers which exact code it was or if she has the printout they usually give with it.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Just to let you, it could be the thermostat. If the thermostat is stuck open you could get a CEL. So if it comes back, you might need to do the thermostat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts