Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
YES!
Get a $22 Ford Crown Vic Fan Controller:
My Sky R/L radiator fan quit working, and I recently read about replacing the fan controller with one for the 2007 Ford Crown Vic for $22: RY1532 Fan Control Relay Module Fits Ford Crown Victoria Town Car Marquis | eBay

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f24/another-succesful-radiator-fan-controller-replacement-76793/

Yogi
Was going to get one of these and try it but O'Reillys shows it for $140.99. :frown2: Where/when did you get one for $22?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...rown-victoria?q=Cooling+Fan+Controller/Module

RockAuto has it for $85. Better.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Many have used the cheap $25 ones without issues but as with everything you takes your chances. That would be one I'd be willing to take.
Is there something you aren't telling us JR-Dallas? :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an observation on the feedback of the cheap ones. OK, bought 3 (in case both are bad and one more spare!) on ebay for $9 ea plus shipping. :willy:

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
... as with everything you takes your chances. That would be one I'd be willing to take.
I completely agree. If you can buy the cheap ones at a fifth of the price of an ACdelco one, then why not? You can go through 4 failures and *still* be ahead. It's not like they're difficult to swap.

I'd struggle a bit with the $9 ones JR found, but again so cheap, buy a few (as he did) and have fun!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I completely agree. If you can buy the cheap ones at a fifth of the price of an ACdelco one, then why not? You can go through 4 failures and *still* be ahead. It's not like they're difficult to swap.

I'd struggle a bit with the $9 ones JR found, but again so cheap, buy a few (as he did) and have fun!
Well carry the extras with you lol. Mine failed 30 minutes from my house on a hot Phoenix day in rush hour traffic. Had to stop 3 times for extended cool offs to limp it home. Luckily it wasn't 115 degrees hot out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well carry the extras with you lol. Mine failed 30 minutes from my house on a hot Phoenix day in rush hour traffic. Had to stop 3 times for extended cool offs to limp it home. Luckily it wasn't 115 degrees hot out.
I guess I'm necroing this thread, but I just came across what seems to be the same part being used on the 08-10 HHR. I've ordered a couple of the cheapo eBay Ford versions, but I'd considered trying to find a wrecked HHR to get rolling faster since I can't seem to find any wrecked Crown Vics.. Right now I can't really take my Sky out of the driveway for fear of overheat, it's been in the hundreds here and she's not happy about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi all.

My cooling fan no longer comes on. I've browsed some posts that says the 2.0L GXP has a variable speed controller, though I can't really see much of the unit right now. I'm guessing either the fan motor died, or the controller died.

I was hoping somebody would have some troubleshooting guide or suggestions, or leads as to where I could get a replacement controller.

I should mention the car had the blown fuse issue (following a jump start) and overheated a couple months ago because I had stupidly walked away for a few minutes. The fuse has of course been replaced. After the fuse replacement, it seemed to be OK for a month or two, then I noticed the A/C was dying while stopped.

I was going to start disassembling Sunday (Feb 2nd) and see if I could get the motor to spin up, thereby conclusively determining whether it was the motor or the controller.
I went through this aggravating situation on my Solstice. Appears I had an electrical short but all fixes were short lived and in the end I had to replace the fan assembly. My local mechanic charged me $250 while the local Chevrolet dealer wanted $800 plus. Firestone/Bridgestone wanted $650.
Hi all.

My cooling fan no longer comes on. I've browsed some posts that says the 2.0L GXP has a variable speed controller, though I can't really see much of the unit right now. I'm guessing either the fan motor died, or the controller died.

I was hoping somebody would have some troubleshooting guide or suggestions, or leads as to where I could get a replacement controller.

I should mention the car had the blown fuse issue (following a jump start) and overheated a couple months ago because I had stupidly walked away for a few minutes. The fuse has of course been replaced. After the fuse replacement, it seemed to be OK for a month or two, then I noticed the A/C was dying while stopped.

I was going to start disassembling Sunday (Feb 2nd) and see if I could get the motor to spin up, thereby conclusively determining whether it was the motor or the controller.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went through this aggravating situation on my Solstice. Appears I had an electrical short but all fixes were short lived and in the end I had to replace the fan assembly. My local mechanic charged me $250 while the local Chevrolet dealer wanted $800 plus. Firestone/Bridgestone wanted $650.
The most irritating/ironic thing about it is that the previous owner (I just bought it four days ago) had put most of 2k into it getting the water pump replaced along with "every other pipe and hose as long as you have it apart" in late June of this year. It would really be something if the money he spent on it was really just a simple computer control, eh?

If it's not the control, I'll have to talk to the place that did the work and see if they'll stand behind it even though the car has been sold.

Actually, the most irritating thing is that I have the most exciting car I've driven in over 40 years, and I can't DRIVE it. I have to walk past her sitting in the driveway. Thank goodness the part comes tomorrow and I can see.

BTW, edited to add, this is the part I'm expecting: Amazon.com: High Performance Radiator Cooling Fan Control Module Relay ECU for Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis, RR28 6W1Z-8B658-AC 940002904 RY1532 902-209: Automotive

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi all.

dmiles813....I apologize for a typo in my recent post to you: My mechanic charged me $350 not $250. He got the fan assembly through an aftermarket supplier. I usually drive with the interior recycling air on when it is humid and fresh air intake when it is dry (which is rare in NC). GM dealers charge you by what their book says regardless of how long it takes to make the repair. I once paid $380 plus $85 for the part to replace the passenger side door handle. My mechanic told me afterward he would have charged me $150 if I supplied the door handle. I no longer go to the local GM Chevrolet dealer who was once a Pontiac dealer since I found this mechanic through a neighbor. When I get a recall notice I go to the local Cadillac dealer. Hope all this helps you.

·
Super Moderator
16,748 Posts
the fan will not turn on until it reaches the proper temperature. To force the fan on, set the HVAC to defrost which uses the AC to dry the incoming air. The AC on also turns on the fan so you will be able to have the fan on all the time if you wish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, successful completion! With the new controller, I have a solid 189 degrees with the AC on, 199-201 degrees sitting in the drive thru line with the AC off.

It's fixed! Or at least I know what fixed this symptom. Obviously it's not impossible that something else will blow the controller up, but since the previous owner reported a blow fuse, I suspect the "jumped the car wrong" idea.

I bought the cheap one, ordered another one for a spare and I'll keep it and a stubby screwdriver in the glove box "just in case".

If you're interested:

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
We've come a long way!

I run electric fans on two of my British cars (well, actually three, but the other one is a race car and is operated only manually by switch).

Back in the day, we were never that confident that electrical systems would flawlessly do what they were supposed to do, so we usually fitted an over-ride switch so that if the fan didn't come on when we figured it should, we could manually switch it in and bypass the inoperative thermostatic switch.

The manual switch simply ground the leg of the relay that controlled the hot side. The local Jensen dealer did that on all the new Interceptors before they were sold to prevent come backs, though I must say that I have never needed them on any of the four that I have owned.

Is there an easy quick fix if you are on the road and your fan controller fails - along the lines of shorting a relay contact to ground? Or have they made things too complicated so that is no longer possible?

I lost confidence in the American electrics (I'd long held the British as being suspect) when my Fiero failed to start once. It was a manual trans and there was a switch that prevented stupid drivers from starting them in gear and driving into their garage wall (funny, we never seemed to have that issue with the old cars). I was able to steal a paperclip off some files I was carrying and jump the switch (I later permanently bridged it). Now part of my tool pack I carry in most of the cars includes a foot long jumper wire with alligator clips on each end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've come a long way!

I run electric fans on two of my British cars (well, actually three, but the other one is a race car and is operated only manually by switch).

Back in the day, we were never that confident that electrical systems would flawlessly do what they were supposed to do, so we usually fitted an over-ride switch so that if the fan didn't come on when we figured it should, we could manually switch it in and bypass the inoperative thermostatic switch.

The manual switch simply ground the leg of the relay that controlled the hot side. The local Jensen dealer did that on all the new Interceptors before they were sold to prevent come backs, though I must say that I have never needed them on any of the four that I have owned.

Is there an easy quick fix if you are on the road and your fan controller fails - along the lines of shorting a relay contact to ground? Or have they made things too complicated so that is no longer possible?

I lost confidence in the American electrics (I'd long held the British as being suspect) when my Fiero failed to start once. It was a manual trans and there was a switch that prevented stupid drivers from starting them in gear and driving into their garage wall (funny, we never seemed to have that issue with the old cars). I was able to steal a paperclip off some files I was carrying and jump the switch (I later permanently bridged it). Now part of my tool pack I carry in most of the cars includes a foot long jumper wire with alligator clips on each end.
I agree. And you don't necessarily know the fan is gone until you sit someplace for awhile and realize the "needle" didn't stop climbing at 202 or 203, for instance.

Looking at the design of the electronic device, it seems to me it would be simple to just have a couple plugs with a wire between them that you could just sub in, in place of the module. I realize this would be a stop, stick my hands in the hot car and make the change kind of deal. I plan on carrying a spare with me, of course, but the idea of a switch under the hood to flip is seductive.

I bet you could take a saddle splice and put it to the negative wire of the fan side of the controller device and hook that with a simple toggle to ground. If the fan failed to run, you could just open the hood and flip that switch and voila! you'd have a fan running all the time. Of course, this assumes the fan itself isn't the problem, but we're in a different ballpark if that's the case, anyhow.

I don't know the schematic of the controller, but if that didn't work, the same concept would be to have both a positive and negative running to it and flipping the switch would kick on the fan with both poles live.

·
Super Moderator
8,327 Posts
I know that you had a failure, and they are not unheard of, but they are also not common, so don't live in fear of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just had my fan controller die yesterday in 95 degree florida heat. wasnt bad with the heater going to keep the temp at bay.......until the rain started. Heat on full, engine at 220 and windows rolled up....... I must have sweated 20 #. new controller coming off of Amazon, about half a dozen Kappa owners have given it positive reviews......

·
Registered
9 Posts
My spare came yesterday. I think I'll put the spare and the stubby screwdriver in a nice padded box and fasten it someplace in the "trunk" area. I figure if I actually have an alternative there, I'll never need it .. :)

On the other hand, just saying that out loud probably means it will happen and my spare will be defective.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts