Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Cooling Fan Failure - GXP (Variable Speed?)

71K views 105 replies 36 participants last post by  alpaca 
#1 ·
Hi all.

My cooling fan no longer comes on. I've browsed some posts that says the 2.0L GXP has a variable speed controller, though I can't really see much of the unit right now. I'm guessing either the fan motor died, or the controller died.

I was hoping somebody would have some troubleshooting guide or suggestions, or leads as to where I could get a replacement controller.

I should mention the car had the blown fuse issue (following a jump start) and overheated a couple months ago because I had stupidly walked away for a few minutes. The fuse has of course been replaced. After the fuse replacement, it seemed to be OK for a month or two, then I noticed the A/C was dying while stopped.

I was going to start disassembling Sunday (Feb 2nd) and see if I could get the motor to spin up, thereby conclusively determining whether it was the motor or the controller.

#105 ·
Only three pins in the connector are used:
  1. Top Right Pin, RD/BK Wire, Battery Positive Voltage from Underhood Fuse Block
  2. Bottom Left Pin, BK Wire, Ground
  3. Top left Pin, Not Used
  4. Bottom Left Pin, WH Wire, Fan Control Signal from Underhood Fuse Block (Passthrough from ECM)
The fan motor and controller are shown in the schematics as an integrated unit.

• Helpful
Reactions: agent008
#106 ·
Thanks, the operation appears to have been successful. The weather is not conducive to a test drive, but might get a day here or there. Idling and turning ac heater defroster etc on and off no cel. revving got to steady 189.

The wires were easy enough to find, having been used for the after market controller somewhat, and the white signal was just capped and tucked away. the new harness didn't clip right on the fan side, but it's a right secure fit just with the clip too close to the tabs for installation so that took some effort.

on to the next off season project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.