Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 GXP and the temp has been running as high as 230. The AC will stop cooling while at a stop light, so I know something is wrong. When I stop and check the fans, only the passenger side is running (this is at idle with the AC turned on) or with engine shut off and fan running after shutdown. I'm assuming at 230 degrees both fans should be operational and since they're not is the consensus that the controller is bad or the fan ? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The fans should both be on at 218 or above.

Try powering the non functioning fan directly and see if it comes on. If it does, then its most likely the controller.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took a closer look this morning while the car was not running and had cooled down. What i thought was a non-working fan on the drivers side was actually the fins on the back of the fan. So if the fan is working properly, which it seems to be doing, why is my ac cutting out while at a stop light ? when moving the ac is strong and blows very cold. it's really hot here in n. texas (103) yesterday with the car getting up to 230 in city driving.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
took a closer look this morning while the car was not running and had cooled down. What i thought was a non-working fan on the drivers side was actually the fins on the back of the fan. So if the fan is working properly, which it seems to be doing, why is my ac cutting out while at a stop light ? when moving the ac is strong and blows very cold. it's really hot here in n. texas (103) yesterday with the car getting up to 230 in city driving.
It could be the heat itself. The AC will shut down if the refrigerant pressure gets too high, and the conditions could be such that there is not enough cooling. Do you have the fan on high or some intermediate level? You could try turning the fan to a lower setting to see if that helps, although I am not confident.

Also check (if you haven't already) for obstructions or dirt in the radiator or elsewhere in the air path.

A final check would be to have the refrigerant level checked, as it could have been overfilled at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts