Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this code from onstar diagnostic on demand. P0480. I guess this error is when the cooling fans don't turn on period. Does anybody know how much this will run me at a dealership or is it an easy fix I can do myself?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Check the fuses for the fan. Many have found the fuses blown after boosting the car. Have you used booster cables lately?

·
Registered
406 Posts
he means jumper cables... not sure if you understood boosting, not turbo or S/C boosting

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
For what it's worth, here's what the service manual has to say-

Circuit/System Description

The engine cooling fan is a variable speed fan. The engine control module (ECM) controls the fan speed by sending a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the cooling fan control module. The cooling fan control module varies the voltage drop across the engine cooling fan motor in relation to the pulse width modulated signal. The cooling fan speed can be adjusted from 10 percent to 90 percent duty cycle. 90-94 percent is considered high speed fan.

The ECM monitors the voltage on the cooling fan speed control circuit driver output. Voltage is near B+ when the driver is OFF, and near ground when the driver is ON. If the difference between the actual and expected voltage exceeds a calibrated value, a DTC will set.

P0480

The ECM detects 0 voltage on the output during commanded transitions.

attached is the wiring schematic

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I fixed the problem and the fans are working now. The check engine light is still on and I called onstar and asked for diagnostics on demand and it was the same problem and they told me I probably just need to clear the codes. Is there a way to clear the computer myself instead of paying some 30 bucks to do it at a shop? Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Three ways:
1) Go to an autoparts store (i.e Autozone etc) that reads OBD codes for free and ask them to reset.
2) Buy a cheap scanner of your own (avail. for $30 & up) and you can reset them with that. Plus you'll have it for use in future.
3) Remove the ECM fuse for ~1min (or disconnect the battery). In theory, fuses 42/43 in the engine bay fuse box are the ones you want.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Or just ignore it and drive. After a number of key cycles and driving, the CEL should reset on it's own. Will probably take a couple weeks of regular driving every day. (as long as the cause of the original CEL has been corrected)

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I have had occasion to reset the codes on my car several times over the past couple of weeks.:devil:

I used a socket wrench to loosen up the positive battery terminal, pull it up and off for one minute, reconnect and tighten and the ECM is reset. Codes cleared.

Or as GS says, cycle the key (remove, open and close the door) and it should clear itself. Its there for historical purposes currently and should go away on its own.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The dead fan after using jumper cables is a common issue. If you need to clear the code, as others have said, just disconnect the battery for a minute or so but make sure you do not disconnect the positive first.

Always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery first. There can be flammable gasses on the top of the battery and if you disconnect the positive first and you happen to short the wrench to ground while you disconnect the terminal you could have an explosion. It might be just a big spark but if those flammable gasses explode, there's trouble.

I have seen someone disconnect the positive first and have the top of the battery blow off. If the battery blows, battery acid (sulfuric acid) will be all over you and in your eyes. Believe me, it's an ugly sight.

Disconnecting the ground or negative first is the correct way. All you need to do is to break the circuit and if you touch the wrench to ground no spark is going to occur because your body and frame on the car has a negative potential.

Be safe and don't take a chance unless you are into possible pain and suffering. Always disconnect the negative first!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I found out today during my lunch break that the car just turned the light off by itself. It was on in the morning and when I went on lunch it was off. Thanks for all the help fellas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts