Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may or may not have a cooling fan issue with my 08 GXP. I have read many past posts concerning cooling issues but none seem to address my issue. I went for a run with my local chapter Friday and Saturday. The car runs fine at between 188 and 194 degrees. We made several stops along the way and each time after I turned the motor off the coolant temp would rise to 205 plus. As soon as I restarted the motor the temp dropped back to normal. My question is, is the fan supposed to continue running after the motor is switched off?

Cheers, Don

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
The fan will continue to run if the coolant is hot enough, but I think that is in the 220 range. 205 is well within the normal operating range, so relax. You do not have a problem.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What John said.

Also remember that the temp probe does get a bit of heat soak, even with the engine off but fans on.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
When you shut off your vehicle, heat from the cylinders continues to disapate into coolant that is not moving, thus rising the temp. The fan will turn on on most cars at 220 and will continue to run if you turn the car off. Mine is an exception as I'm tuned and my fan temps are different then normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts