Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I went to look at a Solstice pre-production model I noticed that the area behind the grill seemed to be to a greatly obstructed / blocked. I could see what I took to be the cool air intake as well as what looked to be the structual support for the front facia blocking much of the available air flow. Does anyone have a feel for exactly what the path for cooling air might be? It looked to me that the chin spoiler may divert more air into the radiator than the more direct path through the grill. Maybe the pre-production car is different from that of the production model? How well does this car deal with high outside ambient temps. in traffic?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This is not uncommon. When a car is traveling down the road, an area of high pressure is created just about where the 'chin' spoiler is located. At speed, this is where the cooling air flow for most (all?) cars comes from.

That's why you see many cars ('vettes, F-bodies) have no real grill - they don't need them.

Its probably also why you can cover a big chunk of the Sols grill with a licenses plate with out fear of overheating :yesnod: ...unfortunately :brentil:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Bingo. Ya hit the nail on the head.

Another product I'm designing up right now is an aftermarket under-chin spoiler that is even lower to the ground, with additional ducting for brake ducts. It'll be made out of low cost flexible plastic, just like OEM. Yeah, it will be too low for some. But for those looking for additional cooling power and less under-car air flow it will be a nice affordable modification.

·
5,600 Posts
Sounds great. Depending on the look, I would definitely be interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts