Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to Edmunds which has the mazda miata, mitsubishi eclipse spyder convtertible, toyota mr2 spyder, and the 2005 volkswagon beetle.

Edmunds uses a formula to figure out what it would cost to own a car for 5 years and 15,000 miles per year.

Edmunds

I would think the Solstice would compare favorably with a base price of $19,995. One of the problems with GM cars though is typically the huge amount of depreciation and with the way GM usually works in a couple years there could be up to $5,000 in rebates on the Solstice. Any thoughts?

BTW anyone know about how much tires might cost for the Solstice?

·
4,592 Posts
tennis4789 said:
Link to Edmunds which has the mazda miata, mitsubishi eclipse spyder convtertible, toyota mr2 spyder, and the 2005 volkswagon beetle.

Edmunds uses a formula to figure out what it would cost to own a car for 5 years and 15,000 miles per year.

Edmunds

I would think the Solstice would compare favorably with a base price of $19,995. One of the problems with GM cars though is typically the huge amount of depreciation and with the way GM usually works in a couple years there could be up to $5,000 in rebates on the Solstice. Any thoughts?

BTW anyone know about how much tires might cost for the Solstice?
THoughts, yea, I've got one:

wait for the $5K in rebates, it's worth it, I'll be hoping for $7K off msrp on the s/c engine, thus I in for a long wait, but that's OK ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Intellichoice also has a similar ownership cost breakdown.

A couple thoughts on them. GM cars always rate poorly due to their depreciation. However, you only eat the big depreciation if you buy the car without incentives and rebates since they figure it from MSRP. Aside from some niche vehicles, few pay MSRP for GM cars. So the depreciation figured into those numbers ends up being higher than the real world depreciation cost to most owners.

As far as the Solstice... depreciation is usually a reflection of a car's real world demand. Most GM cars are made in higher numbers than there is demand for them. Therfore, the market is flooded and drives down their prices as reflected in rebates and poor resale. If the Solstice is popular and remains popular, it won't suffer those huge depreciation figures. However, at 20K units a year, GM may flood the market.

Also, depreciation may not matter that much if you plan to keep the car a long time. If you plan on trading it in after 3 years, your in for a big hit. Especially if it suffers high depreciation. However, if you keep it for 10 years, 100K+ miles, it won't cost as much.

All that said, the car shouldn't cost a ton in ownership costs. At a price of $20K, high depreciation can only be so much. It should get good gas mileage, GM cars generally are not expensive to repair and maintain, and insurance may not be too bad if the Miata is any indication.

·
Registered
66 Posts
solsticeman said:
Count on about $215/tire for the Solstice tires.

Tirerack has them at about 195, but there's mounting, balancing, and taxes (if applicable).
245/40R18's seem to be a more popular size than the 245/45's. If you are willing to take the odometer hit and open up the wheel wells a little, Falken Azenis and Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires can be had in the $120 range. ($140 mounted) From Discount Tire.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
One thing to be aware of, if you live in the midst of such lovely road conditions as can be found in Michigan...

That extra 12 mm of sidewall (for the 45 series) can mean the difference between maybe damaging a wheel in 5 years of driving, vs. damaging a wheel every 2 years.

Yet another thing to consider.

·
Registered
66 Posts
solsticeman said:
One thing to be aware of, if you live in the midst of such lovely road conditions as can be found in Michigan...

That extra 12 mm of sidewall (for the 45 series) can mean the difference between maybe damaging a wheel in 5 years of driving, vs. damaging a wheel every 2 years.

Rats. I didn't think about that. So much for Dukes of Hazard style jumps and passing people over speedbumps. It's almost a deal-breaker. :lol:

As a comparason, Falken Azenis ST115's are $28 more a tire for the 45 aspect ratio. Thats $112 more all around. Not worth damageing a rim. I guess we'll have to see how stout the OEM's are.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
solsticeman said:

You're not kidding.. this week alone on the west side of the state I've had the snow melt twice... yeah, it snowed, melted, snowed again, melted, and got another 5 inches on Sunday. This causes major problems with the roads (freeze / thaw cycles) and leads to potholes.

I'll most likely drive with the RSA's until winter, then get rid of them. I hated them on my last GM car that came with them. I'll most likely only use the Sol during the non-winter drives... so the Kumho's or something like that in a 245/45 size will be my choice I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
SUVs, trucks and sport cars hold their value better than cars, minivans, etc.

For instance, on my 02 Chevy Avalanche:

$35,000 sticker price

$28,000 actual price with incentives/discounts

$22,000 avg retail selling price after 3 years/36,000 miles

that's not a lot of depreciation in my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts