Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Where you allowed to keep your old keys after the ignition recall ?

• Not sure, I did not ask if I could.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No, I asked but was not allowed to keep them.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Yes, I was allowed to keep them.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 13.9%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have read some posts where the dealer took the keys and some where they did not so my guess is it's up to the dealer mine will be going in on Aug. 8 and I'm planning on keeping my original set we will see what happens and I'll update this post.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was allowed to keep one as a souvenir. Not planning to use it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I choose "other", they kept the key I brought in when they did the fix, I got 2 back, and I have mama's as a spare/souvenir..

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is one of those things that aren't worth fretting about, hey?

:devil:

Yup..:thumbs::willy::agree: Although some anal members are puttin stickers that say "solstice" or Pontiac" or Saturn on the the keys..:dunno::leaving:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I asked, and the dealer said GM wanted all keys returned, because of the wide slot. Since I only took the key I drove it with, I still have the original spare, with plastic bits glued in to make the slot into a hole.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, important enough for you to fret about :)

LOL. think that counts for a No.
LOL, No it doesn't, I didn't ask anything, so I still vote other and that's gonna stick..:thumbs:...:devil: beside, I STILL HAVE ONE OF THEM...:D, "other" it is...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I asked, and the dealer said GM wanted all keys returned, because of the wide slot. Since I only took the key I drove it with, I still have the original spare, with plastic bits glued in to make the slot into a hole.
Actually the old key is a bit tighter fit than the new one. I wouldn't use it and risk wearing out the new cylinder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No problem keeping the old keys, service adviser turned in one of the new ones instead. All work perfectly. Do not understand all the fuss about the logo when you can keep your keys.

·
Registered
756 Posts
No problem keeping the old keys, service adviser turned in one of the new ones instead. All work perfectly. Do not understand all the fuss about the logo when you can keep your keys.
Read what I just said.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Actually the old key is a bit tighter fit than the new one. I wouldn't use it and risk wearing out the new cylinder.
Donno where these rumors come from, :willy: the new key is identical to the OEM key in every way, shape and form thickness etc, the ONLY difference at least with Sky keys is that is has a small circular hole, no Saturn logo vs the OEM oblong hole to attach to the FOB... My new key felt exactly like my OEM key when inserted into the new ignition module..:yesnod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My recall was done last week. The service tech handed me two new keys...and the two old ones. All of the keys worked the ignition and locks. I was told that's normal and to only use the old keys if necessary. Not sure why tho. I called another dealer and they told me the old keys were supposed to be destroyed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I understand that you have questions regarding key usage and the ignition switch recall. After the repairs, only use the new round hole keys and rings that have been provided
to you by your dealership in the ignition switch. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Feel free to message us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Except GM is saying use the new one.
Why go through the ignition recall and end up using the old key.
Just keep it as suveneir, but use the new one to drive the car.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Except GM is saying use the new one.
Why go through the ignition recall and end up using the old key.
Just keep it as souvenir, but use the new one to drive the car.
+2 :agree::yesnod:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have no emotional need for the old keys but I will probably keep one of the original keys whenever I get the recall done.

WHY??

When I bought my car (8/31/08) the dealership only had one key and fob that they could find, even though they were supposed to give me two. They ended up getting me the second key and fob made and given to me before I left the dealership.
Early the next spring I was giving the car a great clean. To do so, I unbolted my driver's seat to clean under it and found the previously missing key and fob stuck under the seat cushion. Hence, now I had three of each!
I will probably give GM two of the old keys but I will hang on to the third. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts