Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my niece has been a total car freak since I can remember, she got it from her dad and my dad (her grampa). We kinda all got the car "gene" passed down from many, many generations ago. Her great grandfather, (my grandfather) was the only tech in his Chevy dealership trusted to work on the '53 'Vette's when they first came out! She knows more about cars than most guys I know, and she's an amazing artist too!

Anyway, she's dreamed of having a Solstice ever since they came out. When she first saw the Coupe in '09, she knew one day she'd have one of her own. She's been saving for a very long time, and has been looking for that special Coupe for quite awhile now. She found one a few months back, but the deal just didn't work out. Probably for some good reason, who knows. I personally think the color wasn't meant to be for her, which is a good thing. She was pretty bummed out though to lose that car, it was very close to exactly what she wanted. She kept saving her money and kept looking.

I happened to see Spydermon's thread on here about selling his coupe, and took a look. Damn, it was ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY! I texted my niece and said, "How do you feel about a red coupe?' She was like "WHERE IS IT!!!" Ummmm, about 3500miles away. After many, many conversations about how it could possibly work out, and going over dozens of different ideas, she came up with a plan. Last Monday night at 10:45pm, she and her dad (amazing dad) got on a plane and flew to Massachusetts with a check and a couple of VERY small duffle bags! It was pretty funny talking about how there would be more room on the plane for luggage than there would be in the Coupe on the drive home!

Mike (spydermon) picked them up at the airport and was AMAZINGLY nice and easy to deal with through this whole deal. After taking it on a test drive (what was she gonna do, say "Oh no, I don't want it!"?) they did the paperwork and were on their way. She got her Coupe!

As of right now, they're in Illinois having dinner at an old favorite restaurant we used to go to when we lived there. They only have a week off work, so it's not gonna be a leisurely vacation, but they will get to see a ton of the country by the time they get back to California. We are all so super excited for her, and can't wait until they both get back home. She names all of their cars, so I'm sure this one will have a name too, I don't know if it's been decided yet though. Hopefully she'll become a member on here and share her excitement with her new dream car.

I just wanted to post this up so everyone can wish her luck on their journey home. It's gonna be a LONG drive, but one they won't EVER forget! And also to thank Mike on making my niece's dream come true. Thanks Mike! My niece is an amazing person, and luckily she has an amazing dad that would do something like this. I don't know of ANY Kappa owner that will be as excited and take as good of care of her car as she will. That Coupe will look as good as new I'm betting 20 years from now!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
What a nice story! I know she's going to love it, and I can't wait to see it in 20 years. :dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Good for her, hoping the trip back home is with no issues and they get to enjoy the sites.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What a great story, I just bought my wife a black coupe about 3 weeks ago. I live in orange county is the home of this coupe in So Cal?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Great story and I wish them a safe trip back. When I saw my first coupe at an auto show in Feb. of 2009, I knew I had to get one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a great story, I just bought my wife a black coupe about 3 weeks ago. I live in orange county is the home of this coupe in So Cal?
Nope, it's not going to So Cal, sorry. You are a part of this story though. Guess what color the car she lost out on was? Yep, it was a black one in Reno. I'm guessing that was the car you bought. You're lucky that car was still there when you finally picked it up! I called that sales manager about a dozen times until you finally picked it up and we knew the deal was done! We were ready to drive up to Reno if your deal would have fallen through.

It's all good though, I'm glad your wife got her coupe too. My niece's first choice was black, her second choice was red. Since I found this red one I think she might have realized the red fits her personality a little better. I think the red coupes look awesome, as does the black and actually the white with blue stripe is pretty cool too. The other reason why I think the red was a better fit for her is that my Sky is black. She needs to have her car be ALL her, color and everything. My son had a black Sky also, he really liked it but finally sold it to get a white one and couldn't be happier. Now we have black, white and red Kappa's, all different but all awesome! Can't wait to do a few photo shoots with the 3 cars.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Great story, thanks for taking the time to share, and tell your daughter welcome to the Koup Klub!

BTW, I contacted one of those business that sells old magazines because it has a fantastic double page pic of a red coupe that I had professionally framed w/gray suede matting/red aluminum frame. Old mag business name escapes me at the moment (but it may have been featured in 2009 Automobile mag). Makes a great addition to the garage or backdrop for a show sign. If I can figure it out I'll pass the info along. Had to buy a 2nd issue because the frame shop screwed up the first pic.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Pictures would be awesome, and I know how she feels. I found my GXP in Pennsylvania and I live in Albuquerque, so mine was close to a 2500 mile drive and I did it in 2 days.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know they've been taking pictures, but I think they're too busy driving to send them! Last I heard they were in Nebraska and did an 850 mile day.

Here's a pic of the car outside of Chicago...

I think my brother is liking it a little too much. My niece said he was sizing up the back wondering if his bag he takes to work would fit in it! I told my niece to tell him "Ummmmmmm NOOOOOO!"

Oh I also heard they're averaging over 30mpg!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Great story.

Several years ago, I sold my 1991 911 to a young guy from Montreal. He and his father flew out to Orange County to pick up the car, then drove it back to Montreal. The ultimate father/son road trip.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I love stories like that.

Jt: I didn't know you were a chi town native too! I knew there was a reason I liked you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jeff465, yes I am a raiders fan as you can tell. I became one way back when Kenny Stabler was the QB so I am dating myself.

gmtech, That is so cool that we were after the same coupe! The dealer seemed a little upset that they took my offer of $19k. They said people from Texas, California, Oregon and Washington were hoping that I wouldn't buy it and offered more than their asking prices of $24k.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is a great story! Kind of sounds like the one my Uncle had when he bought is 06 SSR! Ok I am seeing more California Solstice and Skys on here, I know they are having a meet in Maryland I think we need to have one here in Cali! What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Here she is, the happiest Kappa owner I know!

Can't blame her there!
Great story too and an awesome 1st experience / roadtrip with her new Sol. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts