Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father gave me his NA convertible about a year ago, since then he's informed me that he regretted it. Now he's back in the market, only thing time for a coupe. He reached out to someone on the interwebs whose selling one and he received 18 photos of the car (one is attached here) as well as story that's clearly scam. Since I'm assuming this is a scam I thought it'd be nice to inform the actual owner of the car (if possible) of the scam.

Copied text from the "seller".

Hello,
I purchased the vehicle in US and I shipped it to France, it is currently registered in US, clean title, there is no lien on the title and there is no duty or cost to re-import the vehicle to the US, the vehicle is currently being stored in Europe.
In France the import taxes are high up to 50% of the value of the vehicle and this is the reason of the selling, I didn't know about the import taxes when I acquired the car, the vehicle is in excellent condition both aesthetically, mechanically and very well maintained!
I am ready to ship it back to the US and I will cover the transport cost. The car looks and runs fantastic! Within 19 days you will get the car and you will have a period of 2 days to inspect the car and when the inspection period ends, if everything is fine I will get my money.
CLEAR TITLE IN HAND, NO LIENS OR ISSUES!

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER SO WE CAN TALK ALL DETAILS OVER THE PHONE.

I'm looking forward to hear from you soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I ran into a very similar ad a couple of years ago and followed up with the seller.
In my case, car advertised in Canadian city but seller told me car as in Kansas.
Would ship for my review and they I was to pay if I liked the car.

The old "I will ship the car and you can decide if you want to keep it. Then the seller gets payment".

Looks like a scam.

i would search the forum as this pops up fairly regularly and typical type of scam.

If it is not a scam I would be very surprised.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Just look at Chop Top's listings you can pretty much bet they are legit . To add I would post what he is looking for a GXP ,Auto , Mileage , Price willing to pay , and area of the country he is in etc.that way the members can keep an eye out for any that pop up locally .There is one listed in the latest Hemmings Motor News (September ) it has 810 original miles ,Brazen orange , GXP with a tune ,hardtop , soft top ,cat back exhaust and a $38500.00 OBO . price mark [email protected]

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just look at Chop Top's listings you can pretty much bet they are legit . To add I would post what he is looking for a GXP ,Auto , Mileage , Price willing to pay , and area of the country he is in etc.that way the members can keep an eye out for any that pop up locally .There is one listed in the latest Hemmings Motor News (September ) it has 810 original miles ,Brazen orange , GXP with a tune ,hardtop , soft top ,cat back exhaust and a $38500.00 OBO . price mark [email protected]
:surprise:

Bill

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
This is the thread your father needs to keep his eye on, Looking for a coupe now?;
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/looking-coupe-now-part-2-a-82386/

Forum member sirwm and myself generally find coupes at least once a week for sale and post them to that thread. I generally stick to Craigslist because I know the listings are current, and it used to be mainly private sellers, but not as much anymore.

Sirwm generally posts Ebay listing and the more popular car selling sites. Between the two of us, and a few other, we find the majority of coupes currently for sale.

Here's the last two I recently posted within the last few days.
2009 (VIN Y107290, not on coupe list), One owner, 2.4, Auto, 65,000 Miles, $15,000, Aventura, FL
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/d/2009-pontiac-solstice-coupe/6658571034.html

Thanks to RedOne

2009 (VIN 465, on coupe list), 2.4, Auto, Pure, 53,618 Miles, $24,999, Ocala, FL
Sellers moment: This particular example is number 465, and is one of only 77 units produced in "Pure" white.
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1128739/2009-pontiac-solstice-for-sale-in-ocala-florida-34480

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your post. This is our beauty, yes, located in central Ohio. We listed to sell it on eBay, and someone must have hacked listing. Can you PM message sent to your father so I can contact ebay? Yes, car is still for sale, 2,800 miles, soft top.

Thanks again for posting! We truly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
........In France the import taxes are high up to 50% of the value of the vehicle.....
That is not correct.
Good to know, thanks! Those were the "sellers" words and I'm not surprised he got it incorrect seeing as how it's all a ruse anyway. =(

I have a hard time dealing with dishonesty and people purposely trying to take advantage others. This kind of stuff just makes me sick~

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
Good to know, thanks! Those were the "sellers" words and I'm not surprised he got it incorrect seeing as how it's all a ruse anyway. =(

I have a hard time dealing with dishonesty and people purposely trying to take advantage others. This kind of stuff just makes me sick~
Just email the guy that you have someone that wants to see the car in France. I will be happy to go there for you for free and check out the car.

I wrote that to several other similar car deals (last one was a similar scam in Denmark). After writing that they never reply anymore or have other excuses. Also they have excuses not showing Import / Export / Shipping / Insurance / Waybill paperwork.

Also ... . . . . anyone reading the US Trump Administration trade-triff news in the newspapers already knows the European Union does not have 50% tax on US cars. Import tax is about 10% and then there is the sales tax. Sales tax is different per country but mostly around 20%. Of course anyone importing a car to Europe knows that. No one will put a car on a ship to Europe without checking what has to be done and what has to be paid to get it on the road.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@RedOne07 That's a fantastic idea to tell them I have someone in Europe, brilliant!! Thanks for the offer and all the good information that you shared, I really appreciate it!!
-Michael

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I played the game with one in Europe about a year ago. He was sending pictures of his family at the dock as the car was being loaded, on and on. The car was loaded, then got a call from the shipping company that they had to pay the special loading fee, a mere 700.00. He would contact me as soon as the money was in the account and the car was loaded. I played up to the point that I called back, but alas a bogus phone number. I think it was for a coupe for a small amount. I think I posted about it as it was going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts