Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a convertable after selling my roush mustang vert two years ago ,but I fell in love with the coupes looks ! My question is does a coupe feel like a convertable with the top off ? Thanks for the imput , mods if this should be in the coupe section sorry move it, but I tought all would have an opinion , Thank again friends:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
During the summer months I run strictly with the soft-top on, so I can easily remove it for that top down feel. It may not be a perfect vert top-down feel, but I still like the way it opens up the sky with the top off.
Just had my 3rd Anniversary with the coupe on July 3rd. Loving the style and power & handling. What a great ride top On or Off!
Go For It! You only live once!

Host for the 2012 PNWR 4th Annual Regionals
July 19-22, 2012 Clarkston, WA

http://www.portlandroadsters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=1

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a coupe and looooooove it. I declared it is the best thing I ever bought. Probably the number one benefit of owning and driving a coupe is the great feeling that you will not see another on the road. There is noise and you have to be careful about any little bit of paper in the car (I’m not messy, and I have to make sure there’s no fast-food wrappers in the car before the top comes off. I have long hair and my face is continually stung by whipping hair. I keep a baseball cap in the car for the top off driving and a hair brush in the glove box, along with spare sunglasses and sun block. All in all, I really don’t regret my purchase at all. It’s a fun car to drive. The wind in your hair, with all senses engaged, just can't be beat. Excessive wind buffeting in the passenger compartment can kill your joy. Not being able to hear the radio, having to shout at your passenger to be understood. For my ears wind and traffic can be loud. I reduce turbulence and wind noise by putting up the windows. If I listen to the stereo, I choose something that is enjoyable and not loud enough to drown out the road noise. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For drives below 50mph the top off is almost like a vert. Same with a Corvette Coupe.

Above 50 they are just too noisy from the turbluence. You don't have that turbluence in a roadster.

LJ

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
In my opinion, the roadster is much easier for open air fun but once the coupe top is off I don't really notice much difference. I love how the coupe looks with top on and much prefer to drive with top off...

·
Registered
59 Posts
One irritation of the Coupe is that with the top off the wind over the opening creates a huge Venturi effect and tries to suck everything out of the car therefore; the coupe is not a true convertible you always have a view out of the corner of your eye of a pillar ... In my opinion the design itself created extra wind turbulence inside the car by catching air with the rear window and then spinning it around the driver's head. It may be true that the roadster is actually a better convertible??? Removing the rear window is not an option with the top off. The idea of locking down the rear hatch with the aftermarket latch so that it is really open an inch or two at the bottom may be disappointing with the thought of failure at speeds above 55+on the expressway can fall flat. I would hate to see anyone ruin their car that they love so much. I will continue to reduce turbulence and wind noise by putting up the windows. As before enjoy your ride.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
One irritation of the Coupe is that with the top off the wind over the opening creates a huge Venturi effect and tries to suck everything out of the car therefore; the coupe is not a true convertible you always have a view out of the corner of your eye of a pillar ... In my opinion the design itself created extra wind turbulence inside the car by catching air with the rear window and then spinning it around the driver's head. It may be true that the roadster is actually a better convertible??? Removing the rear window is not an option with the top off. The idea of locking down the rear hatch with the aftermarket latch so that it is really open an inch or two at the bottom may be disappointing with the thought of failure at speeds above 55+on the expressway can fall flat. I would hate to see anyone ruin their car that they love so much. I will continue to reduce turbulence and wind noise by putting up the windows. As before enjoy your ride.
I have had mine twice (2x) the speed you have listed above and nary a problem with the rear window partially open and secured with the hook I received from Go_Drvn. I agree the noise is better with the windows up @ speed.

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts