·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buyer Be Aware !!!!
I received below email from [email protected]
------------------------------

Hi,

My name is Maria Johnson , owner of the car. The car is in great condition, has no issues mechanically, electrically or any other to be noted.
The reason I'm selling it is because my husband passed away 2 months ago and I was forced to moved with my 2 young kids to my parents house in Lakeland, FL, to be easier for me and my children. The car it is here with me and from here will be shipped.

So considering the circumstances I made arrangements with eBay Motors to help me with delivery and payment as I'm unable to. It is already in their possession all prepped & ready for delivery which is free within the US. Price is $6000 including shipping.
I will put an auction on Buy it Now for you on eBay so you can Buy it Now on your name. I chose to make the transaction through eBay because I am registered a long time ago and have positive feedback 245
afbeelding

If you agree please reply to me with your full name, shipping address and phone number and I will send you the eBay link so you can buy it now.
Thanks and God bless you!

You are interested in your listing below:
https://www.hotmusclecars.com/details.php?id=56261

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
^^ Agreed. I buy and sell cars online all the time. Scams are usually easy to spot as there are red flags everywhere. I've flown out to buy cars from Ebay, trailered across the country (north/south) to buy internet cars site unseen, and have many friends who purchase cars online having them shipped without issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From the description in the link at the end of the OP - "Braking is handled by four-wheel discs with red calipers bearing GXP lettering "
They sure look silver to me in the posted photo.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
279 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten that email, with car model and cities altered. One of the used car sites is selling email addresses, because it stops when I stop looking.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Buying a car online = guarantee to get scammed.
I also disagree, although I would not argue there is no risk of a scam, which this appears to be. I bought two Coupes through eBay with zero problems. Th first car was in FL so I had MyMechanic look it over. The second one was in OH so I was able to see it for myself.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Wasn't that picture lifted from another ad? What's the story with HotMuscleCars Group?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The minute the "eBay Motors gets mentioned for a car in an email instead of on eBay motors, I stop reading because I'm laughing too hard.
OP email said:
I made arrangements with eBay Motors to help me with delivery and payment as I'm unable to. It is already in their possession all prepped & ready for delivery which is free within the US. Price is $6000 including shipping
I never knew eBay Motors took possession of cars. I also think it's great that that price includes shipping to an unknown location which might be minutes or a multi-day drive away from the existing location of this supposed car.

I did look on eBay, there is a black coupe currently for sale...by a dealer, which of course means both someone who should have an idea of what it's worth & dealer markup; IOW, only $6000 if it's a "push, pull or drrrraaagg it in" car. Is the fact that there's one of these for sale there part of the pitch to make this look legit or dumb luck?

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
279 Posts
Dumb luck. It is, word for word, the same email I've received at least six times. Scammers bright enough to involve a real car would have done some editing over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course it is a scam, that is why I posted it here. To warn people. The minute I saw the price and that it was not salvaged I knew it was a scam.
At the moment I am negotiating with Maria. Told her I want to buy but need the VIN. Getting the VIN seems kind of impossible for her :) of course I already know the VIN.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts