Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who would be interested in a small hatchback or coupe Kappa platform 2-seater (or 2+2)? Not like the hardtop Solstice; I'm thinking a vehicle that was designed from the ground up as a coupe. If they could keep the cost below 20k, wouldn't this be an excellent alternative to the Cobalt? I need a car to supplement my Outback, since I've started commuting 140 miles round trip. I'm going to bring an '88 Honda CRX HF out of retirement (50 mpg...), but I would really like to have a vehicle that got good mileage and was entertaining to drive (at least more so than the Cobalt or Ion). I would think that a Kappa car would be perfect for this; maybe starting around 15k for a "base" 2.2 Ecotech, smaller brakes and other costly accessories, working up towards a 20k+ SS. Ideally, they would offer the car with a diesel- easy 50 mpg+, and GM has plenty of potential engine donors thanks to Opel and Vauxhall. Even without the diesel, they could easily increase the sales volume substantially, improving the economy of scale associated with their current niche target market. I would like a RWD car, but I need a hard top- not many Michigan days that make a convertible worthwhile, and I have to share the expressways with hulking SUVs and tractor trailers; I would like every chance I have against physics, and a softtop does not meet my standards. Just a thought, it seems to me like they gave up on the LWB models too easily; people didn't like the Nomad, so they killed the idea; it may not be the idea, but the implementation. Or maybe it is the idea, and I'm way out in left field here...

·
5,600 Posts
No you are not the only one who would leap at the chance to buy a Kappa 2+2 like the Chevy Nomad concept car. There has been a ton of discussion about it on this forum. There have been many people who are NOT going to buy a Solstice or Sky roadster and who are chomping at the bit for a Solstice Coupe or a Nomad.

As they used to say on the X-Files, "Your are not alone." :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I love the Nomad. If they ever build it, I will more than likely buy it. It actualy suits my lifestyle better than the Solstice, but the Solstice, come on! How can I resist! :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
I would buy a Solstice AND a Nomad. I kid you not. :cuss:

·
Registered
381 Posts
jimbo said:
I would buy a Solstice AND a Nomad. I kid you not. :cuss:
Same here. Solstice first, Nomad after our 2001 Focus hatchback dies, eventually. I have to have a vehicle that has a little cargo capacity. (Have you seen how much space there is in a Focus ZX3 with the seat down?)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
They did a nice job with the Nomad concept. The original was a pretty cool car for 1954. Here's pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
On the X-Files, I think the tag-line was "We are not alone." It was Michael Jackson that said, "You are not alone."

But back on topic, you truly are not alone. A permanent hard-top coupe or hatchback with a sunroof could be perfect for weekend trips for two, if there was enough room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've seen the threads on the permanent hardtop Solstice. I was wondering what people thought about a Cobalt-like RWD Kappa, one that could actually be used as a regular car, not just a weekend toy (don't know if the Nomad was really intended this way, or if it was also intended as a toy; suspension tuning, powertrain options and interior are some of the variables we don't know here). Kinda a poor man's BMW 1 series; seems like GM could really produce a category-busting vehicle, beat DC and Ford, and the foreign automakers, by being the first to produce an affordable, modern RWD platform. The Neon, Focus and Cobalt really don't have much to differentiate themselves; for that matter, they aren't all that different from the Corolla, Civic or 3, just cost and quality vary. I think GM just really blew it by not pursuing the concept further; they seem to be more interested in copying successful ideas than in coming up with their own. Yeah, I liked the Nomad concept and the original wagon; but then again, my taste is suspect since I think my Outback is a good looking vehicle.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thinking I may have to settle for a Solstice/HHR combo but would much rather have a Nomad than an HHR. Wondering if an inexpensive Kappa coupe could be built with stamped body panels vs hydroforming to further save weight and increase line speed and capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts