Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It anyone looking to replace their coupe headlights with the chrome style from the convertible?

Actually, it's me that wants the black coupe style headlights for my car. I recently had the windshield surround and rear bulkhead Painted black to match the body colour on my black GXP and would like to change the headlights. If it works for both parties ............Thought I would try here before going to the parts department.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Been mentioned many times... but you DO know this is a pretty easy DIY, right?

Just open them up, unscrew the chrome cover, then 10 mins with some Easy Off oven spray and that chrome will be gone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did that on my last GXP. I think I want to try this route this time. But, thank you.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It anyone looking to replace their coupe headlights with the chrome style from the convertible?

Actually, it's me that wants the black coupe style headlights for my car. I recently had the windshield surround and rear bulkhead Painted black to match the body colour on my black GXP and would like to change the headlights. If it works for both ............Thought I would try here before going to the parts department.
The color match looks better than the silver :thumbs:
BTW, you're interested in the GXP coupe headlights!

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
The color match looks better than the silver :thumbs:
BTW, you're interested in the GXP coupe headlights!
I think all Coupes had the black headlights

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Was lucky enough that the previous owner of my car swapped headlights with a used coupe at the dealership he worked at.

So I has the street edition headlights.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Only GXP Sequential VINs have Black headlights. :brentil:
Interesting. More trivia to try and remember.
Given that there were no NA coupes sold up here, I probably will never see one, but nice to know.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Only GXP Sequential VINs have Black headlights. :brentil:
Just looked up pics of N/A coupes. Yer right. Learn something new every day (or I forgot and only see GXPs) :)

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Just looked up pics of N/A coupes. Yer right. Learn something new every day (or I forgot and only see GXPs) :)
My big surprise was seeing a GXP with silver headlights??? then I checked the VIN....

I haven't seen many NA's around here either.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well..... I have the chrome ones and am looking for OEM black ones if anyone is interested?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
SOLTZ06 You can buy them new for about 288.00 each. I think I got mine from crateenginedepot.com

GM wants 377.00 each for the same unit.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Does anyone have a simple pic or two showing what a chrome or black headlight is that you're talking about? I assume this is trim and since all our front trim is GXP black, we lack some chrome I guess around the lights?

Edit: Ok , I see, it appears our lights are a little more smokey around the top of the light, appears to make the light blend in a bit better, especially with the black paint I guess?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Your GXP coupe Shadofax, should have the "smoked" headlights. the others have "clear" headlights like the verts have.
correct, I see that from his original pic and a pic of ours.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Does anyone have a simple pic or two showing what a chrome or black headlight is that you're talking about?

Edit: Ok , I see, it appears our lights are a little more smokey around the top of the light...
No smoke. The SKY kappas have similar 2 versions of their headlights and like the SOL the outer shell is indeed clear on all of them. Wilmington put the inside lamp assembly through two surface finishing phases. Primer coat was dark gray, followed by a chrome plating. SATURN put the non-chromed version on all turbo models from the beginning. PONTIAC didn't do that; subsequently 98% of the 65+K Solstices produced have the chromed headlights.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Shadofax , Look at my Avatar I have the 09GXP headlights in my 08 Roadster

·
Registered
859 Posts
Shadofax , Look at my Avatar I have the 09GXP headlights in my 08 Roadster
So it looks like we are talking about the top cover being dark, and we have the same lights, if you resize this image you can see the top of the lights better:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts