Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the folks who have the Coupe soft top, do you keep it stored put together, or do you keep it stored rolled up in the soft top storage bag?

I currently have mine rolled up in its bag stored on a shelf in the garage. I've used it twice in 2010 to see if I liked it on the car (I didn't). So I've been wondering if it would be better to put it together and store it in the hardtop storage bag in order for it to stay in excellent condition?

Thoughts.

Yeah I know it's a dumb question, but nothing happens in the coupe subforum anymore other than finding coupes for sale. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
CT, we keep ours together in a padded bag I made, stored under a Queen size bad. (fits nicely)

Steve

·
Registered
747 Posts
They say to keep it built to retain it's shape. At least that's what I've done with mine. Funny, I never got a soft top storage bag, only the hard top one.

·
Premium Member
4,504 Posts
They say to keep it built to retain it's shape. At least that's what I've done with mine.....
yeah - I keep it built too. I store it between a wall and my computer desk.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I built a wall rack for my hardtop and in winter store the soft top assembled on it. Being a convertible guy for fifty year I found old tops would shrink up so always stored my cars with tops up. Using that same logic with the coupe soft top.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I purchased my Coupe for the original owner in the Spring of 2013 I purchased a new used soft top on eBay and also bought the lined storage bag for the hard targa top from GM.

I bought one of those hanging horizontal, expanded metal strorage racks at Home Depot and installed it directly above the hood of our SUV in our 2 1/2 car attached garage with finished walls and ceiling.

When I run with the soft top of the coupe, the hard top is stored in the bag which rests on the storage rack.

During the first 2 years of ownership I kept the softtop on the coupe for both entire summers just in case I wanted to go open air for my 20 minute ride home from work on nice days. I only disassembled it, rolled it up, and stored it in the nylon bag when I wanted to drive in the open air.

I roll it up with a stadium blanket to keep the crossbars from leaving imprintes in the softtop material. I also use the stadium blanket to lay the unassembled soft top on when I have to reassemble it with the crossbars out in the field to avoid damaging the soft top material. The soft top rolled in the stadium balnket fits nicely the provided nylon bag.

I have stored the coupe for two cold winters with the hard targa top installed.

When I put the hard targa roof on coupe the assembled soft top goes in the bag and is stored on that elevated same rack. I lay the hard top as well as the assembled soft top upside down on this storage rack with some soft foam to rest the roof on to avoid damaging the weather strips.

This year was the third summer of ownership and decided to keep the hard targa top roof on all summer. The coupe is pretty noisy with the soft top installed. I think i removed the top one time for a Sunday car show held at the local Quaker Steak & Lube Restaurant.

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool Sol Manual Trans GXP Coupe

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I keep mine assembled and it rests on 3 foam covered "J" brackets on my garage wall. Then I replace the soft top with the hard top when in use.
Keep it stored assembled to keep its shape. For those that have kept theirs rolled up, Assemble the top and use a light feathering of heat from a hair dryer to help soften and relax the pimples in the top that are from the crossbows and side rails poking the top while stored rolled. Either that or let sit in the sun for awhile and they will eventually relax. FYI

·
Registered
859 Posts
assembled as well. I will also say that I don't roll up the soft top and put it in the bag for the couple times I've taken it out while driving, just in case. Instead the top is kinda open in that back wheelwell, with a towel around it, and the hard front/rear pieces go into the bag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Related Soft top question

I have owned a coupe for all of two weeks now so I am a real newbie. Went to put the soft top on the other day for the first time since buying the car, and could not get the rear latch to snap closed. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? It went in fine when the seller showed me how to do it two weeks ago. Does the rear bar go above or below the plastic strip on the edge?
Richard C
Marietta, GA

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have owned a coupe for all of two weeks now so I am a real newbie. Went to put the soft top on the other day for the first time since buying the car, and could not get the rear latch to snap closed. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? It went in fine when the seller showed me how to do it two weeks ago. Does the rear bar go above or below the plastic strip on the edge?
Richard C
Marietta, GA

I've only put on/removed ours a couple times, but I would not be surprised if you are doing nothing wrong. Even with the hard top, first thing I do is lay the top in back first and then front as I recall. Then I look at the top from outside to make sure it is sitting pretty near flush to the roof lines. Then I go in and pull the rear latch, which on ours seems like it's pretty firm to catch, and a time or two it does not want to. I just look at everything and press down from the outside and try and again and it has always grabbed and locked. The front swing arm locks have been finicky at times as well, but nothing that has ever been an issue. I actually like the fact that nothing is loose or easy to just pop in, I want a firm engagement so I get max sealing of the weatherstrip.

Don't get me wrong, nothing should be forced by you, just don't think that they will be loosey-goosey and easy to engage as they do require some firm effort.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
unless you plan to carry it disassembled with you in the car, i recommend you store it 'assembled' to avoid shrinkage. mine is stored assembled in the GM box it came it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I haven't had my hard top on my car in five years and hope not to ever have it on again. The soft top is either folded and placed in the rear, sticking into the well area, or it is on the car because of unexpected inclement weather. It is best to not leave it folded for really long periods because they will shrink up.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Any easy instructions on soft top disassembly, GM aren’t very clear
Not really instructions, but this is how I do it

(1) never set it down on a hard surface, always keep something like a large beach towel between the top and a hard surface to prevent damage
(2) I keep a small rubber mallet with me to use when assembling/dissassembling the top. I find it much easier on my hands.
(3) When reassembling try and mimic the curves to the top when installing the front & rear frames, it makes it much easier to install them
(4) watch the seals on the front and rear when installing the frames, it is easy to damage them if they are out of position when trying to get the pins to snap into position

1 - 19 of 19 Posts