Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my basic warranty is coming to an end this month, I took the car in to get one door sill plate replaced (they glue the 'Solstice' silver plate to the plastic surround but don't supply the inset separately so have to replace the whole lower sill cover assembly - seems pretty silly to me and i wonder why they don't just have a generic sill cover and individual Solstice/Sky insets, but hey - they must know what they are doing or they'd probably have gone bankrupt by now.....)

I figured what the heck, give them another shot at the coupe top, which had developed another rattle from the passenger side. They shimmed the right hand latch and said that caused a rattle on the driver side as well, and the whole thing seems tight as a drum now, better than it has ever been.

Thought I'd mention it as all the coupes will be coming of the 3 year warranty potion now (driveline continues another couple of years).

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have a creaking, snapping, popping sound that comes from both right and left front corners. I think I will take it in and see what they can so as well. If not, I will see if I can fix the problem myself. Also, do not hit a rabbit at 60mph with the front air dam; it breaks the little brackets or clips on the chin part and drops the air dam down a little. The little brackets broke and only the pins are left that the air dam attached to. I hope I do not have to replace the whole front end panel. Anyone with suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I took my Coupe in because the Service Air Bag light was on. I told them to fix the roof rattle too, I hope they know what they are doing. I took it to a Chevy dealer hoping that they might know about these kinds of issues with Corvettes.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I took the coupe in a few months back brcause the right side was making noise. They fixed it. I have never taken the roof off but this would make it the 2nd time the dealer has (1st time was the headliner recall when I first got it). raider68 is your first name Jared and do you play on the O line?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the coupe in a few months back brcause the right side was making noise. They fixed it. I have never taken the roof off but this would make it the 2nd time the dealer has (1st time was the headliner recall when I first got it). raider68 is your first name Jared and do you play on the O line?
Mine had that recall done before the car was sold, but the dealer has had the top off twice attending to rattles. I've never taken it off and probably never will. Wish it was welded on!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Mine had that recall done before the car was sold, but the dealer has had the top off twice attending to rattles. I've never taken it off and probably never will. Wish it was welded on!
I agree Bill, with the roof off it breaks up the flow too much. The first time I took it to the local Pontiac dealer, they were surprised that the selling dealer had not done the headliner(flew one way to El Paso to get the only coupe in the country that matched what I would have ordered).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the backbone, Probeam and LV front brace.

I conclude that this is not an issue related to chassis flexibility, although I expect that flexibility might exacerbate it. It is simply a latch pressure issue that can be addressed by properly tensioning the pressure on the hold down latches.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Put one of those backbone plates under the car and you'll never hear another creak from the top.
Erm, no. I have one and the top latch on the driver side creaks when it's hot. If I partially open the latch (creating more pressure) it stops...

I really need to get in there and shim it.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Speaking of, I put my top on for the first time in a while (taking in for new stereo head unit) and just don't know how you guys do it. I'll say it was nice to have the a/c blowing when it is 100 plus outside, but it is impossible to see out of, is a little claustrophobic and hard to get in and out of. Plus, with the V8, I miss the symphony that I get with the top off. Anyway, I know a lot of you drive with the top on exclusively and I agree that the lines look great, but to me, the coupe is an open only proposition.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Speaking of, I put my top on for the first time in a while (taking in for new stereo head unit) and just don't know how you guys do it. I'll say it was nice to have the a/c blowing when it is 100 plus outside, but it is impossible to see out of, is a little claustrophobic and hard to get in and out of. Plus, with the V8, I miss the symphony that I get with the top off. Anyway, I know a lot of you drive with the top on exclusively and I agree that the lines look great, but to me, the coupe is an open only proposition.
Because I live in a region where that's not practical 10 months out of the year?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Of course, I understand that weather requires the top, as it should for me here in the summer, but I just drive it less or early/late when it is not brutally hot. I was just commenting on how different the experience is.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My top prattled. My local guys tightened up the attachment screws for the latch points and it solved it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My top prattled. My local guys tightened up the attachment screws for the latch points and it solved it.
Hi Wspohn,
I'm having the same problem on my Coupe Top, how many days since they tightened up the screws? I put a small piece of 3M Shock absorber Foam, and it worked for about a week, then the rattles came up again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts