Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Coupe windshield weatherstrip

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  WickedMike 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a coupe windshield frame to top weather strip. I think it is part # 20818154. Mine has a slice in it and I want to replace it. Any information appreciated.

#2 ·
when I got my windshield replaced in 2018 on my blue/deep coupe,
SafeLite has a huge box of generic stuff.

As the new oem windshield had a "build date" on it from 2011, the weather strip was deformed and brittle.
They rewrapped the whole edge of the windshield with the new stuff.

( I hope I am talking about the same thing that you are asking about... )

#3 ·
William: I’m talking about top edge to windshield frame. Nothing to do with windshield. It’s the seal for the top. I think I must have hit the rubber weatherstrip with the pin on the top, when putting it back on.

Reactions: sirwm
#6 · (Edited)
Wicked i did some heavy looking for that part over the last 2 years & had no luck with it. I even had my my local GM dealership service parts manager find me a used one which i had to return as it was off a roadster as i asked him to phone the company back & sure enough it came off a solstice with no back window. The piece were looking for goes down to the mirrors. As in other threads it can't be found at replacement windshield shops. Lots of confusion in past threads on this. I'm still looking. I spent days on the phone calling around & searching the net. I don't think there are any salvage coupes around either.
I was told by my service parts manager its a different seal than the roadster. He was very sure about it.
Over the past 3 years i have purchased over 10 different OEM weather strip & seal parts.

#8 ·
Wicked i did some heavy looking for that part over the last 2 years & had no luck with it.
Over the past 3 years i have purchased over 10 different OEM weather strip & seal parts.
Do you just have a small piece missing? You can buy products that are a lose match and cut out a piece to cement into yours, or you can cast a liquid product into a replica.

Or someone should commission a custom molded part from a rubber company (buy the minimum length required and sell it by the inch to other coupe owners).

Can't recall if the sealing runner is solid or foam - have only had the top off twice - once to tighten the latch bolts and once to replace the driver side seat belt receiver that had died on me, so I can't recall exactly what the portion under the latch points looks like.

#7 ·
Help! Still looking for the coupe weatherstrip that goes along inside windshield top to hardtop. I must have hit it with top pin and tore it.

#9 ·
Hard to explain but it is a circular foamy rubber. I tried using some rubber cement on it but maybe the bulk ones of it made it tear further. Might be better looking to find some similar rubber tubing and a good clue to piece it in???? The weatherstrip unit is way different then my convertible. It goes down the side of the a-puller and creates some drain catches. I’ve taken some pictures and hope the show on here. It doesn’t look very good right now!! :frown2:

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
The cement that you used doesn't look like it did you any favors, I think you are correct about the bulkiness. Can you peel it off before it does any more damage?

Bill's idea is pretty good. You need something flexible and that would be, Whether it will stick is another question.

One thing you want to do is to use very little of it. Just enough to coat the surfaces of the tear is what you want, trying to keep it away from any other surface. The best applicator is a toothpick.

I have recently found some porous foam 3D printer filament that may be promising for something like this. It is still pretty bleeding edge stuff, but someday it could be a solution.

Something else that may be worth trying is a convertible weatherstrip. It goes all the way to the base of the door, but it is possible that it could be cut off to work on a coupe. I do wonder why they were made differently, since they seem to do the same job.

I won't advocate cutting up a good one for this idea, but if you can find a damaged one you could cut a section out of it to splice into yours. This still leaves the problem of an adhesive, but a section cut is probably more stable than a tear.

Reactions: easyryderca
#12 ·
Thanks Bill & John. I ordered the glue that Bill recommended. We will see how it works. I agree John that my repair was bulky and didn’t look good. If glue doesn’t work I’ll try the slicing idea. It certainly could look nicer. Thanks Guys. Mike

#13 ·
I got the glue today. Doesn’t want to work. Comes out of tube very rubbery and will not adhere to each side of the rubber weatherstrip. Trying to put thin coat using tooth pick but just turns into ball of rubber on toothpick. So anyone have another suggestion for glueing weatherstrip tear? Thanks Mike

#14 ·
I got the glue today. Doesn’t want to work.
Have you tried just automotive weatherstrip adhesive? It is used to glue the strip to metal but since it does stick to the strip you might want to try it to glue your pieces back together. Amazon has a 3M black one listed or you can get it at your local auto parts store.

If you haven't tried them yet, Steele Rubber Products has many universal types of strips that might work. They offer many sizes and shapes and one of them might come close to what you need for a repair. They also sell most by the foot so you wouldn't have to buy a whole roll unless the one you want is only sold by the roll. I bought some from them when I had to replace the side window strip on my Smoothline hardtop I had for my 07 Sly. They had the same shape as the original strip and it only cost a little over $ 20 plus shipping compared to the $ 120.00 that Smoothline wanted for theirs.

Just some thoughts on your dilemma, hope you are able to get it fixed.

#15 ·
I looked on google at options for glues. Weatherstrip adhesive advertise rubber to metals adhesion. I have some 3m weatherstrip adhesive but it is yellow so didn’t try it. I found on google and later at Ace an adhesive called Shoe Goo. Bought it and tried it, letting set and dry now, so we will see how well it works. Problem I have is that some material is missing . I may be better off buying some similar weatherstripping and do a inch or so cut out and patch???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.