Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently there are 15 unique ads listing coupes for sale in the the major for auto sale media; Cars.com, Autotrader and EBAY. Prices ranged from $23k to $39K.

Two years ago when I was looking for a coupe, there were approximately 40 coupes listed for sale in the same media. Prices then ranged from about 19K to $39K. So it looks like the supply has diminished and prices at the low end have moved up. Not sure how one got there but a few days ago CARMAX had a NA coupe. They ship nationwide if anyone is looking.

I know folks discuss "appreciation" in a few other threads. The supply side looks favorable, but demand isn't pushing prices much right now. Personally, I'm happy with prices holding while I "appreciate" driving my car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Given the relatively low production number for the coupe, they will continue to get harder to find, as will 'verts and Skys for that matter, but I wouldn't count on those prices holding up - even for the garage queens - and they will all likely end up being lousy investments for making money.

HOWEVER (and I shudder a bit as I approach this inexplicably controversial topic) as an investment in f-u-n, the Solstice and Sky are among the best cars ever built. Can't beat the bang for the buck in terms of styling or performance (well the GXP/Redlines anyway), and in the future when electric appliances are the norm, our cars will be more desirable than just another Miata or Mustang.

I got waaay lucky when I bought mine new off the lot with a big GM rebate for leftover Pontiacs and Saturns, and got a kick out of realizing that my coupe was worth more than I paid for it for several months - until I took it on an epic road trip and cracked the windshield and incurred some road rash - but that was never the point. I bought the car because the bargain was a no-brainer, and have grown so fond of it I'll probably be buried in it.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
As I told my wife early on in our ownership as we parked next to a BMW 'vert. "All the fun for a fraction of the price!"

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love the car it handles, good fuel economy and it turns heads everywhere I go. Once the car is out of the body shop I will put in more miles and no it is not for sale. When I found out that they had stopped production and what you saw was what there was. I started to look for a NA Solstice Coupe. Why pay extra for a GXP with a bigger 4 cylinder motor, when I was going to transplant the motor? I was reading somewhere in this forum where Lowlife1 came up with a great idea about forming a coupe cartel in a market where the industry is dominated by a small number of sellers. Agreements to fix prices. I like it.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Given the relatively low production number for the coupe, they will continue to get harder to find, as will 'verts and Skys for that matter, but I wouldn't count on those prices holding up - even for the garage queens - and they will all likely end up being lousy investments for making money.

HOWEVER (and I shudder a bit as I approach this inexplicably controversial topic) as an investment in f-u-n, the Solstice and Sky are among the best cars ever built. Can't beat the bang for the buck in terms of styling or performance (well the GXP/Redlines anyway), and in the future when electric appliances are the norm, our cars will be more desirable than just another Miata or Mustang.

I got waaay lucky when I bought mine new off the lot with a big GM rebate for leftover Pontiacs and Saturns, and got a kick out of realizing that my coupe was worth more than I paid for it for several months - until I took it on an epic road trip and cracked the windshield and incurred some road rash - but that was never the point. I bought the car because the bargain was a no-brainer, and have grown so fond of it I'll probably be buried in it.
Make that 1 less Deep NA coupe as I totaled mine last month.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I also got the GM incentive (something like $6K off list, but then Canadian list was also higher than the US pricing) when I bought mine new.

It is nice if you happen to have a car that may depreciate a little slower than other cars, but that's as good as it gets. You won't live long enough to make a true calculated profit on any of them.

I agree that the best profit is taken in enjoyment and driving them (driving mine today - put the Fiero away for the winter last week).

I also suspect that many of the coupes have landed with homes that may last them awhile. The first shuffling about with some buyers selling them on when they discovered they didn't like them as much as they thought they would, as well as the few trying to make a profit on a 'collectible' car has pretty much ended and the current owners may well keep the cars until they lust after something else or something changes in their lives.

There will still be a few new ones held by collector/speculators. We saw a brand new Fiero appear recently more than 20 years after the car left the factory, with less than 100 miles on it. They failed to sell it for asking price.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
That jsantro is a team player. Wrinkled his up to preserve the value of the rest of yours!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was reading somewhere in this forum where Lowlife1 came up with a great idea about forming a coupe cartel in a market where the industry is dominated by a small number of sellers. Agreements to fix prices. I like it.......
Sure - I'll start by listing mine for $1 million. For another $2 million I might consider including my 14-year-old arthritic hound dog in the sale.

My point is, coupes are cars not commodities, and should be thought of as such. (IMHO, YMMV ;) )

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Well, of course there are less and less Solstice Coupes. And 21st Century Insurance is at fault.

I've seen probably 20 of their commercials, and each time they DESTROY two Solstice Coupes. That's at least 40 gone that I know of!

Damn insurance company!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Well, of course there are less and less Solstice Coupes. And Progressive Insurance is at fault.

I've seen probably 20 of their commercials, and each time they DESTROY two Solstice Coupes. That's at least 40 gone that I know of!

Damn Progressive!

You mean 21st Century?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you want to have fun, buy a sports car.

If you want to invest, see your broker.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well, of course there are less and less Solstice Coupes. And Progressive Insurance is at fault.

Damn Progressive!

:lol: Good one Giz :thumbs:

I’ll offer a somewhat different opinion. When I attended the recent Detroit Woodward Dream Cruise (largest one day car show in the world) while watching all the usual suspects it didn't matter how pristine the paint jobs were, or how they were modified, or even how they sounded, because after a while they all started to blend in together (and yes, I get or understand the reason for their popularity). But the fact remains that when you see the same popular cars over and over again there is a tendency for a car show to get a little boring. Which is why when I'd finally see something different, like a Hudson, Studebaker, AMC, Austin Healy, Triumph, etc., those are the vehicle's that began catching my eye and standing out, and appreciated seeing more of. What I didn't expect was it wasn't just the rarely seen orphan vehicles that were beginning to catch my eye but brands that really haven't been gone all that long (Oldsmobile's, Dodge's, Mercury's, etc.). Which means Pontiacs' will to eventually begin to start standing out a little bit more in a sea of sameness.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do you ever watch peoples' faces in your rear view mirror at stoplights?

Sometimes they're funny... first is the puzzled expression, and you can almost hear them thinking "what is that?"

Then, often as not, you can see their lips move: "P-o-n-t-i-a-c" as they read the logo.

It seems strange to me that six years (well, OK, three years for the Coupe) after the car was introduced, some people still don't know what it is.

Strange, but cool! :cool:

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
It seems strange to me that six years (well, OK, three years for the Coupe) after the car was introduced, some people still don't know what it is.
I don't see that many Solstices of any kind on the streets around here, and I look for them, so no surprise that a casual observer may not have noticed them. I have only seen one other coupe 'in the wild' in Vancouver and a few others at the dealers when I was buying mine.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I don't see that many Solstices of any kind on the streets around here, and I look for them, so no surprise that a casual observer may not have noticed them. I have only seen one other coupe 'in the wild' in Vancouver and a few others at the dealers when I was buying mine.
That "in the wild" one a black one with portholes? Saw that in Coquitlam...

I'm now up to 3 "in the wild" sightings.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Saw the porthole car (fugly addition, IMO) at the dealer in Vancouver, but not on the street. Saw a dealer owned yellow coupe and another black coupe at a Pontiac show 2 years ago, and a black coupe lives in North Van, though I haven't actually seen it on the road.

So I guess I've seen 2 on the road, other than mine. Also saw 3 others at the dealer including a pretty blue (sadly an auto, or I'd have bought it) and a black without air that I test drove.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Other than seeing wspohn's & LiquidPT's at the Regionals meets, I've never seen another "in the wild"!
We are A Rare Breed!
Gotta Love It.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the only car I've ever driven that attracks this much attention. Half way home from the purchase of this car, I pulled in to a roadside rest stop and as I get of the car people approach me with "wow what a beautiful car" and "what is it". Part of the fascination people have with the car is they really don't know what it is. You see a rare Ferrari and you know it is a Ferrari, they see a Solstice coupe and they just don't know what it is.

I live near a road that is not far from the local "cruise night" road. Just for fun I drove slowly through one of the burger joints packed with various hot rods. You could see the conversations stopping and heads turning with the "what's that" looks on their faces. Priceless!

I am having one problem. The car attracts "boy racers" on the road, but the 2.4 NA coupe doesn't have the power to dice with tuned cars. There are superchager kits but none seem to fit the 2009 automatic, although automatics from other years have kits offerred. Anyone know why there is nothing offered for the '09 automatic.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts