Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehe think some of those hit some nerves, it's almost impossible to read because all they're doing is bashing us. A lot of people over there getting really snippity about the comments made. :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...and the winner is...

mceb said:
Couple of MX-5 vs. Sol threads for you to read if interested over at MF.

The Sol "blows away Miata" comment made at ride/drive.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143555

Specs compare:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143503
I liked this quote from the 2d link: "Consider that the Solstice ACTUALLY is rated at 177 and that GM has traditionally rated their engines 5% LOW to avoid the isses that Ford/Mazda have had from rating them 10% HIGH. Road and Track has (r)ated the car at 160 as have other mags[referring to the miata?]. In light of Ford/Mazda's past this seems to be a more accurate figure.

Next consider that unless you get the Club Spec variant the cars weighs in at 2,498 pounds.

Next consider that the Solstice has 166 ft/lb of torque vs the NC's 140

Now you have a very real possibility of the Solstice coming in at about 186 and the NC at about 153-160." :cool:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...very interesting

brentil said:
hehehe think some of those hit some nerves, it's almost impossible to read because all they're doing is bashing us. A lot of people over there getting really snippity about the comments made. :D
Actually, I was impressed that there were so many Sol defenders in a Miata site. I liked the comments about developing some "roadster" clubs, without limiting the brands, tho. :cool:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
brentil said:
hehehe think some of those hit some nerves,

You think that's bad you should have been around for some of the NA (90-97) vs NB (99-05) arguments (errr...heated discussions)!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...what the??

LBJay said:
You think that's bad you should have been around for some of the NA (90-97) vs NB (99-05) arguments (errr...heated discussions)!!! ;)
HEY, HE'S GOT A MIATA ICON! GET EM!!
j/k...........lolololol :cool:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
I thought LWW gave us a fair shake in the spec thread
Keep in mind that LWW is a sales manager at a GM dealership, not that it makes any of his points less valid but can slant his opinions at times.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
RichSol said:
HEY, HE'S GOT A MIATA ICON! GET EM!!
j/k...........lolololol :cool:
Also a Miata (that one)!!!!!!!!!!! :D :devil:

·
Registered
263 Posts
It was fun reading the comments from both viewpoints. I too look forward to the magazine reviews of new Miata and Solstice. I feel safe in saying that "Car and Driver" magazine will add some weird ass catagory to the comparison to give the Miata the overall edge though. Maybe something like, "Pure roadster hertiage - 50 points".

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Delnari said:
I feel safe in saying that "Car and Driver" magazine will add some weird ass catagory to the comparison to give the Miata the overall edge though. Maybe something like, "Pure roadster hertiage - 50 points".
:lol: Too funny. C&D did give the Sol the worst writeup of the major mags first time around (England test mule articles).

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am surprised that there were so many level headed minds over there. The feeling I got was, "we'll see them at the track." Not a bunch of bashing I see at the honda/import/fbody sites

The reason I want a sol so badly is because my roommate had a miata that was an absolute blast to drive. Since then, I've wanted an american roadster and the vette was just out of my reach.

I hope this is the year.

silversolstice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Silver. :agree: with your perspective. Car enthusiasts can (and should) all appreciate each other's vehicles for what they are - machines that enable us to enjoy the privilege of driving. I just returned from a track day in Northern California, and had fun sharing the track with other Miatas, as well as Mini Coopers, Boxsters, S2000s, Lotus Elises, Subarus, etc...even a couple of Datsun 510s...all great cars and drivers who appreciate them. I hope the Solstice turns out to be as good as many think it will be. The world can never have too many roadsters, and every solstice sold means (perhaps) one less SUV in the way. ;)

Ron

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I get the impression that a lot of people on there hate the Solstice purely because they hate GM.

I also didn't like that juvenile comment from that one guy "We all know what kind of people are going to buy the Solstice/Sky" Exactly what the hell is that supposed to mean?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RichSol said:
I liked this quote from the 2d link: "Consider that the Solstice ACTUALLY is rated at 177 and that GM has traditionally rated their engines 5% LOW to avoid the isses that Ford/Mazda have had from rating them 10% HIGH. Road and Track has (r)ated the car at 160 as have other mags[referring to the miata?]. In light of Ford/Mazda's past this seems to be a more accurate figure.

Next consider that unless you get the Club Spec variant the cars weighs in at 2,498 pounds.

Next consider that the Solstice has 166 ft/lb of torque vs the NC's 140

Now you have a very real possibility of the Solstice coming in at about 186 and the NC at about 153-160." :cool:
I wonder if the new Solstice engine was rated using the new SAE Certified procedures, which give more accurate results (that are verified by a third party on hand for the testing) than prior procedures. The new Corvette Z06 was GM's first SAE Certified engine (at 505 HP), but they also have committed to using this procedure on all new engines.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Typical online banter going on over there. I like the posts about how one person says they cannot believe the claims made about the Solstice because it is not out yet, and then procede to make their own claims about what the Solstice won't be able to do. :cuss:

The Miata people have generally been very accepting of the Sol, and a friendly bunch. But like any car, there are those that get overly defensive about anything that could threaten their own opinion of their favorite car. We will have those people too, just like every other forum out there.

Fact of the matter is that we will have Solstice's and NC Miatas on the road in a few months time, and people will put them through their paces together. We'll see the results, here the opinions, and know just how close (or apart) they perform to each other. Until then, its just not worth getting all too worked up over. :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I'm thinking that the engine DID. There was a quote that said ALL of GM's vehicles would be certified in the next couple years. The Solstice would get hammered in the press if the HP was downgraded in 2007. Also, since this engine is being used across the GM product line, a downgraded HP rating would create a PR nightmare for more than just the Solstice.

I don't have any facts to back up this claim, but it makes sense from a marketing and sales point of view. :yesnod:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Personally - I could care less if the Miata outperforms the Solstice.
IT'S STILL UGLY!

No offense to anyone - Just my opinion!
;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts