Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking over some Solstice photos today I've noticed a couple things about the windshield surround I don't remember having been brough up before.

From this image in the gallery;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=430&size=big&sort=2&cat=3021
And the image I've attached to this thread below.

Instead of the central latch and two side posts, there now appears to be a central recieving area and two latch areas on the ends. This correspons with recent dealer information and the DVD saying it's not a "easy two latch system."

Also the Baby Arms are back as their semi-large ugly selves.

Also in the image attached, it you look on the left of the windshield pillar there are two small slits. I'm betting these are for the theft deterent system for the entry detection part of the system. It detects if a person enters the car with the roof down to try to grab stuff from out of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
brentil said:
Also in the image attached, it you look on the left of the windshield pillar there are two small slits. I'm betting these are for the theft deterent system for the entry detection part of the system. It detects if a person enters the car with the roof down to try to grab stuff from out of the car.
The slits look like the MIC for Onstar.
If we can see the right side and the slits are there, then maybe your right, but if they are only on the left side then it could be just the MIC.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bull_07 said:
If we can see the right side and the slits are there, then maybe your right, but if they are only on the left side then it could be just the MIC.
I thought the MIC was in the rear view mirror with the OnStar controls?

·
Registered
275 Posts
brentil said:
i doubt they would do that. that mirror falls off so easily in an accident... if they want an audio feed, they want something close to the driver, but still in a spot that wont fall off or be crushed. the onstar butten can go there because you would only need to call in a non-accident.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
brentil said:
That's what I thought it was when I saw it as well.

Also, what are these "baby arms" you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortimir said:
That's what I thought it was when I saw it as well.

Also, what are these "baby arms" you are talking about?
If you look to the left and right (pretty much directly to the left of the two black slits) you'll see two rubber arms sticking out from the windshield pillars. They're part of the roof system that the roof seals against. They used to not exist on the original show cars, but then over time they started to show up closer to production. There seemed to be various versions of the Baby Arms, some large like these, and others smaller and more integrated. Both of these images seem to come from some of the most recent builds have the larger amrs on them.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bull_07 said:
Could they be the pillar mounted tweaters for the radio systems? My GMC truck has these in a similar spot but facing a little more inward.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PAS22 said:
Could they be the pillar mounted tweaters for the radio systems? My GMC truck has these in a similar spot but facing a little more inward.
No, those are at the base of the A-Pillar. The ones I'm taking about are at the top.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Brentil,
When I went to the Fort LAuderdale Auto Show the car there had what you are describing:
there is a central recieving area and two latch areas on the ends. I also notice the Baby Wings were of the larger variety confirming what you have said. This car was suppose to be more like a production model, it was dark gray with the two tone interior and XM.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
No, those are at the base of the A-Pillar. The ones I'm taking about are at the top.
That looks exactly like the microphone slits in the microphone cover for the escalade I saw - I wondered what it was and the Caddy dealer told me it was the OnStar microphone (just in front of your forehead in the roof in the Escalade).

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Don't know if it means anything but notice that in this picture there's no antenna mast.
Dave,
On the Fort Lauderdale car the antenna was still there, as well as the XM PIMPLE :mad: in the center of the trunk, I HOPE GM/Pontiac listen to us complaining about them and have relocated these 2 items somewhere else in the car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DreamerDave said:
Don't know if it means anything but notice that in this picture there's no antenna mast.
It was more then likely removed for the Show car. We've seen a couple show cars that have he mast support but no actual antena.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Dave,
On the Fort Lauderdale car the antenna was still there, as well as the XM PIMPLE :mad: in the center of the trunk, I HOPE GM/Pontiac listen to us complaining about them and have relocated these 2 items somewhere else in the car.
Just out of curiosity, where would you suggest they locate the XM antenna instead? I've thought about this myself and couldn't come up with a better location on the outside of the vehicle (especially considering it's a drop-top).

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ho2go said:
Just out of curiosity, where would you suggest they locate the XM antenna instead? I've thought about this myself and couldn't come up with a better location on the outside of the vehicle (especially considering it's a drop-top).
I think they should put it RIGHT next to the base of the FM antenna... It would blend best there... of course, best would be inside the rear deck lid... but I don't believe that it can pick up signal there, seeing as you lose satellite signal just going under overpasses.

slowandlow said:
i hope they go bult in antena. i have one in my alero it is great for looks but can suffer in recepton.
It's probably more expensive to do the internal antennas, or they probably would have done it... just like power antennas... but they had to cut corners EVERY chance they got without cutting super-important things.

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
ho2go said:
Integrated to the base of the regular car antena, or put it on one of the winshield pilars inside the car, towards the very top of the pilar adjecent to the winshield.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I installed a Sirius radio in my Grand Am and rather than putting the antenna on the outside, I tested it's reception from inside the rear windshield. The reception was just as good as when the antenna was outside the car. I am wondering why they just don't put it just inside the front windshield. That is probably where I will put my Sirius antenna, since I don't plan on switching services. :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Integrated to the base of the regular car antena...
im not sure if you mean actually part of the base, or just up against the base. if you mean part of the base, this may work, but you would have all the issues of having the piece built and having it only work for the solstice, plus whatever patent issues there may be, as well as cost. if you mean next to the base, this may work, but you lose that big sheet of metal under the antenna, so all you have is a little bit. remember, the xm antenna mainly uses the sheet metal as a "satellite dish" if you will, in order to collect the stream of data.

LatinVenom said:
...or put it on one of the winshield pilars inside the car, towards the very top of the pilar adjecent to the winshield.
again, its not an issue of where can you fit it, its where would you get the best reception. and if you were to put the antenna there, your stream would cut out any time you drove under a tree. where as the only better spot i could think of to mount this would be the front hood. and i think they are being gracious in choosing to mount it in the back to preserve the looks of the hood.

·
Registered
275 Posts
pontiacinblack said:
I installed a Sirius radio in my Grand Am and rather than putting the antenna on the outside, I tested it's reception from inside the rear windshield. The reception was just as good as when the antenna was outside the car. I am wondering why they just don't put it just inside the front windshield. That is probably where I will put my Sirius antenna, since I don't plan on switching services. :cool:
this too would work. if you have a signal, its going to be clear no matter where your antenna is. the issue is how easily the stream is broken.

and just a little side note: southern states typically have better reception than northern states.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts