Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting my name in the pot for a new Sol and wanted to know...
1. Is the extra $1200 "Leather Package" worth the $$? What all do you get with the package besides the 2 seats?

2. in the "CONVENIENCE PACKAGE" what does the "driver information center control" include?

3. if you do not get the "POWER PACKAGE", can you buy the power Windows/Locks/Mirrors seperate? I ask because I do not want the stock keyless entry, I plan on adding my own 2-way alarm system/keyless system.

4. What is the Rear LSD for? and is it worth the extra $195?

5. What is the est. weight of the A/C system? (less weight = faster Sol :) )

6. If you do not get any sound system, the speaker holes are still pre-cut, correct? (I like to add all my own sound systems)

Sorry all for the "noob" Sol questions lol :willy:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Integraoligist said:
1. Is the extra $1200 "Leather Package" worth the $$? What all do you get with the package besides the 2 seats?

2. in the "CONVENIENCE PACKAGE" what does the "driver information center control" include?

3. if you do not get the "POWER PACKAGE", can you buy the power Windows/Locks/Mirrors seperate? I ask because I do not want the stock keyless entry, I plan on adding my own 2-way alarm system/keyless system.

6. If you do not get any sound system, the speaker holes are still pre-cut, correct? (I like to add all my own sound systems)

Well to answer quickly. I agree with Y.T. Get it loaded.

the long version
1. The leather comes in the PCQ package and it gives you the leather seats, leather steering wheel and the redundant radio controls. It's cost is only $695 and the leather seats have many negatives and benefits. Your personaluyu preference is what counts there. The quality of the leather is in par with most other Pontiacs (GTO excluded).
2. Trip 1, Trip 2, Fuel Range, MPG, coolant temperature, and engine oil life. (I did that off of memory so let me know if I got that wrong)
3.From the factory NO. You can always get aftermarket. However, the power package is only 625. There is not an aftermarket company out there that can do all of that for the same price. If you get a high dollar alarm system then they can simply replace the fobs you have. I have done the same thing to my Denali when I added remote start to it.
4.Added traction. It makes both tires spin at the same rate on launch and cornering. Worth every penny. Especially if you are going to be adding HP at a later date.
5. 128lbs according to parts for shipping. That is ALL parts for it. A/C would hugely help resale.
6. They are not pre-drilled. Especially the sub-behind the drivers seat. Just do it. I would also highly reccomend getting one of the higher end radios. They are a HUGE difference from the base.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I hope that's not you in your new avatar, Dealernut..... :lol:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Integraoligist said:

1. Premium package includes leather wrapped steering wheel with stereo and DIC controls, as well as the leather seating surfaces.

2. DIC provides feul economy info, trip meter, and personalization options.

3. The power package options can only be ordered in a package. Not seperately.

4. LSD (limited slip differential) assists the vehicle in taking off without spinning the tires. It will reduce power from a slipping rear wheel and transfer a large portion of that power to the other wheel.

5. This is a guess, but I believe that the AC is around 60 lbs.

6. You can't order the car without a stereo, only with the base stereo am/fm/cd with 6 speakers.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
I hope that's not you in your new avatar, Dealernut..... :lol:

HAHA.. I saw this today and I could not stop laughing. Reminds me of that guy on Waterboy. I love it. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
819 Posts
dealernut said:
HAHA.. I saw this today and I could not stop laughing. Reminds me of that guy on Waterboy. I love it. :lol: :lol:
Either that or how Dori felt after his Sol verses sand issue the other day!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SCISOLSTICE said:
Ditto!!!!!
resale? I don't know of such a word ;)
i keep all my car's, forever really (unless they are totaled, stolen, or blown-up [don't ask]). resale i do not care about :)

Thanks for all the info guys!

when you ordered all of yours, what did you tell the dealers to DO with the car (besides NOT take it for a "test inspection drive" and rack up the miles :brentil: )

·
2,574 Posts
Integraoligist said:
resale? I don't know of such a word ;)
i keep all my car's, forever really (unless they are totaled, stolen, or blown-up [don't ask]). resale i do not care about :)

Thanks for all the info guys!

when you ordered all of yours, what did you tell the dealers to DO with the car (besides NOT take it for a "test inspection drive" and rack up the miles :brentil: )
I see the underlying thinking in your approach to ordering and I think there will be some problems for you in what you want to do. I don't disagree with what you want to do but I see some problems. For example you are going to receive a stock stereo even if you don't want it. Again I see where you're going but it's standard. Some of the other packages will include things you don't want but must be included, fog lights are two bulbs but they come with other stuff that you may want, just the way it is. You need to ferret out other answers by investing some time in searching. The LSD is popular for just under 200, but we have recently learned that G.M. thinks that the LSD may be responsible for a clunking noise present in the current tranny. Don't know if they are right but you need to decide what's best for you to do. Many other things like that. I have heard that the A.C. is only 30-35 lbs. Other estimates here have been as high as 65lbs. again don't know for sure. You need to get the answer. Also, most thinking here is get the stock A.C. useful for a roadster, not a huge weight issue and folks experienced with roadsters (me included) remember the "good old days" and wouldn't not have it. The aftermarket option is less attractive in terms of function and fit while maybe being a tad cheaper. You sound like you want to go with an aftermarket remote opener/starter but remember the tranny for now is a manual and will fly in the face of remote start. Sure there are ways to do it but here you go again. The advise about just get it loaded says something about all of the above plus these days if you mess with the various systems developed for the car there can often be probs. so go with the flow etc. So that's a little feedback (maybe more than you want) for what it's worth. Seems like the days of going down a menu ticking off exactly what you want may be history. Good Luck and Welcome! :yesnod:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Birdliver for the responce... if you couldnt tell from my posts, I like to mod every little thing to make it all my own. The stock radio, I assumed it would come with one along with stock speakers, that is not a problem to replace... The Packages, yes i know what you mean... in order to get 1 thing i DO want, i have to get everything else that i DONT want... doh!

Ah, so the LSD is what people were talking about, making that Clunking noise... noise for me is not a problem, my other car has open pipe exhaust, lid is not an issue ;) , however the question is, is that "clunking" going to cause problems. We'll just have to wait and see what GM comes up with... so thats a "maybe" :) in about 6 months, there will be aftermarkets LSD's for them anyway so i dont see it as a problem.

A/C, I have A/C in 2 of my cars, which I never turn on, so technically I don't even know if it still works, my other open piped car I ripped the A/C out to lower the weight.

Aftermarket Remote Alarm/Remote Start/Keyless entry/auto window roll-up/ect. is not a problem, even though it is a stick. Have done plenty of Manual cars... Shh, you didnt hear that from me though :cool:

One more Q:
Say I go on the GM site and "Build your Solstice" My total price comes out to $22,430.00 How do I get this car I just built on-line for this price? My only option is to "locate this vehicle"... in-which dose'nt find my exact spec's I want. :willy:

????
Thanks all!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Integraoligist said:
One more Q:
Say I go on the GM site and "Build your Solstice" My total price comes out to $22,430.00 How do I get this car I just built on-line for this price? My only option is to "locate this vehicle"... in-which dose'nt find my exact spec's I want. :willy:

????
Thanks all!
I would presume a lot of phone calls, to every Pontiac dealer within 500 miles. Some will charge a huge premium, some will charge a large premium, and some will charge MSRP. Search until you find what you want at a price you want. I wish you a lot of luck.

I suppose the internet could help you find contact information for each and every Pontiac dealer in that 500 mile radius. But when you find the right one, ask them to fax you a signed proposal so you don't waste your time of driving 500 miles and being told: Oh, the sales manager said we had to add on this and that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts