Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right side convertible top will not release from the trunk using the key fob or release button in the glove compartment. Dealer says he will have to break something to get in. Any suggestions appreciated. F8driver!

· Registered
410 Posts
That's happened to me before. You have to get a 90* pick or something and use it to release the wire that holds the pin. It just goes into a groove in the pin so if you can see which way it is angles you can get something in there and and yank it towrds the rear I believe. I think I used a welding rod that I bent and kept it on the floor until I fixed the cable. With me there was a little plastic piece that broke. I think I had to use some other part off some other car or something like that. It was on my previous solstice.

· Premium Member
184 Posts
Do not let the "Dealer" break anything!. A small allen wrench with a pair of vise grips can release the cable holding the buttress pin on the flap that's not releasing. The cables release towards the center of the trunk lid, not towards the rear. Check the movement of the cable inside the hole on the side that's released to see which way to pull the allen wrench. It also helps to push the buttress flap down while pulling the allen wrench to get the cable out of the groove in the buttress pin. Once you get it released, you can pull the trunk lid liner away to fix the release cable. The cable has a ball at the end and the plastic piece holding the ball on the release wire is what typically breaks. I used a fishing lead anchor to keep the ball from pulling through the release wire. I also keep the allen wrench and vise grips in the glove box for future failures, because it will happen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts