Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just returned home in the GXP from a road trip to NOLA. Looks like I have received a pebble to the windshield that started a hairline crack on the drivers side. Working with my insurance company I have set up an appointment to have the windshield replaced under my comprehensive.

Are there any hidden gotchas I need to be aware of that might pertain to the replacement of a windshield on a Solstice? Do most reputable glass replacement services do this replacement well?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by a local father/son team a couple of years ago.
Usual procedure...pull a wire around to break adhesive, remove old glass, clean out mounting area, add new adhesive and install new glass. Some tape to hold glass in proper position till the adhesive sets. I believe I was told to wait 24 hours before back on road.
Don't remember if they removed windshield wipers or just popped them up.
Job done in my garage. New windshield shipped up from warehouse in Cincinnati. Forget the cost.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Are there any hidden gotchas I need to be aware of that might pertain to the replacement of a windshield on a Solstice? Do most reputable glass replacement services do this replacement well?
A couple of folks have reported increased wind noise after replacing windshields. Most have found the cause to be insufficient adhesive and/or slight gaps around the edges of the windshield. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've replaced 2 and have three repaired stars on my current windshield. I guess that's the price for being low, I've never replaced a windshield on my Suburban.

I believe there was a design change to the weather-stripping around mid-2007 but I think they're interchangeable.

·
Administrator
9,711 Posts
The wipers and the plastic cowl cover have to be removed. There are clips that hold the cowl cover against the glass, and it is easy to break these when removing it. Most AGR windshields do not have the seal lip that the OEMs have, so that could be the source of the added noise. You will also get a loud buzzing from the cowl if the clips get broken.

Inspect the glass before it is installed to make sure there are no defects, especially if it is not a GM replacement. AGR glass is not inspected to the same standard as OEM, and you do not want to be looking through a windshield that causes distortion.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
You are right! I had forgotten about the cowl w/wipers having to come off. My new windshield did have the seal lip with it. I have not had any problems with noises on my install.

Found some picture to help illustrate:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Most AGR windshields do not have the seal lip that the OEMs have, so that could be the source of the added noise.
JohnWR, could you explain more about the seal lip, are you saying the windshield has a lip molded into it?

·
Administrator
9,711 Posts
There is a rubber lip seal bonded or molded onto the edge of the glass that runs up one pillar, across the top, and down the other pillar. This isn't a very good picture but at least you can see the lip.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts