Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Then I would look to the in-tank fuel pump. The pump motor may be turning, but it's obviously not pumping anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Agreed, in-tank pump must be struggling or clogged. I checked the rubber line all the way up and it feels good. I remember using this method to drain the gas years ago since I couldn't get a syphon hose to work. If the gas came out like it is now, it would have taken me a month. I would like to order a new pump today, any recommendations? I have seen prices all the way from $150 - $400. I don't want a lemon and have to do it all over again.
Thanks again to everyone. Finally making progress.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,274 Posts
nope that is not right.

It doesn't sound right, the stock pump should be able to move at least 200 liters an hour. that equates to 3.75 tablespoons a second. the pump only runs for 2 seconds at a time so you did a total of 6 seconds you should be seeing around 22.5 tablespoons worth.

It sounds like you have a problem with the pump, check valve or pressure regulator.
If you pull the carpet up in the trunk it will expose an access hatch on the top of the "Mayan Temple". If you remove the access hatch you are going to see the top of the fuel pump module. once you have disconnected the lines and the wiring there is a round collar that needs to be turned counter clockwise in order to unlock the module so it can be removed. Remove the module slowly and be sure not to bend the float. You will likely have to tip the module almost on it's side as you are removing it in order to get the float out of the tank.

Check the fuel sock (fuel filter) at the bottom of the module and see if it is all gooey. if it is then there was some gasoline in the bottom of the tank when the vehicle got stored and over time the gasoline evaporated leaving some crap behind. Normally after a car sits for as long as yours has an inspection of the inside of the tank should be done and to remove the stuff left behind. If you do not clean it out what happens is when new gasoline is put it it turns that crap into a gooey mess an it will plug everything up.

If you find that crap on the fuel sock you are going to have to empty the tank completely and get your hand down inside of it to clean out as much of that crap as you possibly can. It is going to be a real royal pain to do because you are going to have to do it from the hole in the top of the tank. Loosen up as much of it as you can and then fill your tank with water part way. That crap will float where you can use something like a small fish tank net to scoop it out. then siphon the water out and dry as much of the inside of the tank as you can. You can also wash the fuel pump module with water as well just make sure it is dry before putting it back in. You might get lucky and only the fuel sock may have been plugged up. Won't know until you clean everything and test it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
don't order a pump yet because you do not yet know what is plugged up. The only way you can make sure that it will be working is to order an entire fuel pump module which is the entire piece that you remove from the tank. That will be pricey. You may only have a bad regulator or a bad check valve. It could just be clogged and you need to remove the blockage.

I have attached some PDF files that should help you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@kgschlosser You always roll in with the exact math, lol. Your knowledge about this stuff is amazing.
I already gained access to the top a couple hours ago to have a look at it, so it is already exposed and ready to go. I have had to change so many fuel pumps and sending units that I shouldn't have too much trouble with it. After I posted my last reply, I wondered if I should try cleaning out any clogs first. That has never worked for me in the past, but this one is still working somewhat so I might get lucky. If not, I don't mind ordering the whole thing. I am already saving a lot by not having to tow it to a shop thanks to everyone's time on here.

Your procedure for cleaning out the tank is almost exactly to the "t" how I usually do it. I should have just done it this time, but thought I could cheat it. When I saw fuel come out of it last week, I thought I actually did but it was only a trick. Serves me right I guess.
Ok, will pull it out tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
OK cool deal. I am sure you will get the problem sorted out. we know it is something with the fuel pump module. You may consider moving all of the bits and pieces to your old hanger and sending unit this way you don't have to go through the headache of setting the float. This it really isn't that hard to do you just have to use a measured amount of gasoline and fill the tank exactly half way. You would have to put the pump in and out several times bending the float arm each time to adjust it so that the gauge on the dash reads a tad above a 1/2 a tank. I am sure you have had to go through this, but in the event you haven't that's how you do it.

It might not even be worth the time and effort of trying to clean it if you see the fuel sock completely clogged up.

Math provides theoretical numbers but it helps in giving an idea of what should be seen. I wrote a program that does unit conversions so all I have to do is enter the amount and unit of measure and it will spit out what that equates to in other measures. makes things nice and easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I tried to pull the fuel pump out and am unbelievably screwed. This car has a custom body on it so my access to the top of the tank is more from the back than directly on top. I tried to lift it out and I don't have enough clearance up above to get it out. I didn't realize this pump assembly is so obnoxiously big. I can only get it to about an inch or two past the white so I can't angle it to get it out. I looked into dropping the tank and the clown who built it welded the straps on and the bolt hole is just blank. No way I am going to cut metal next to a gas tank. My only option is to try and clean the pump enough while it is partially lifted out of the tank. The condition of it doesn't look very promising though. Otherwise, I will just have to sell it as is and explain what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You need to take some photos of what you are talking about.

If there is some kind of an issue getting it out you can also cut the top of the Mayan Temple off. Use a piece of trunk weatherstripping along the edge to make a seal and put some latches on it that you find on the doghouse of a van. That should give you more then enough room. it will also allow access to the charcoal canister if you cut the top off. Make yourself a guide so you can use a cutoff wheel and not go too deep. I do not believe there is anything really in the way. I am sure someone will chime in.

you DO NOT want to remove the tank. You literally have to drop the whole meatball and suspension out in the rear to get the tank out. It is a large job and one you really don't want to do.

post some photos so we can see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Agree, I cannot understand what's going on without a photo or two. But, can you not just unbolt the trunk lid - if that's the issue?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
This is the statement that i am hazy on

"This car has a custom body on it so my access to the top of the tank is more from the back than directly on top "\

If memory serves the access hole opening is offset from the pump module. The opening is more to the back of the car. This could be what he is referring to.

If that is the case it does come out of the hole. You have to rotate the thing when you are taking it out. It's definitely a pain in the ass to get out. just remember how you had to turn and tip it to get it to come out of the opening so you can reverse the process when putting it back in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Will post photos in a few minutes. To clarify, the original body was completely removed after a wreck and the vehicle was converted into a Lamborghini Murcielago kit car, so my panels and access are nothing like usual.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
OH!! the pizza cutters ...

LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here are the photos. There is only a tiny little trunk that I took apart. This pump would have to come out completely sideways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Also, the rear end is all one piece all the way to the doors so that would be quite impossible for me to remove.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
what is that white fiberglass that is hanging down? It looks like you should be able to cut that off. that might give you enough room to get it out.

It looks like the lid might screw to it but that is not a big deal. Quick run to Home Depot grab a piece of 1" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar and attach the at the top edge and let it hang. drill a hole in it where the lit attaches to.

If that flap isn't there it looks like you could tip the pump as you are pulling up on it and it may just clear the edge of the trunk opening.

Whoever built this car really didn't but thought into how to access things did they??

If you can't get the pump out all is not lost.. you can access enough of it to be able to grab the line coming off of it. Extend it so it can reach the bottom of the tank. Then you could add an external fuel pump just make sure that you put a filter between the pump and the tank. you will also need a fuel pressure regulator you can put after the pump.

You gauge still works correct? as long as that works then you can grab the wiring for the actual pump right there at the tank. The pump is not a variable speed pump so you are good there.

you will need a pressure regulator for 50-60 psi.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

you will need to add a return but that shouldn't be to big a deal to do.

That is another option for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Unfortunately, the fiberglass doesn't make a difference or else I would have already ripped it out. The pictures are a bit of an illusion as the pump sits way farther back than it looks. By the time I pull it up and try to angle it, I'm still several inches behind it.
No, the person that built it didn't think ANYTHING through. Even the fuse box under the hood is completely covered by the body and you have to blindly feel around to pull any of them out.
I never thought of an external pump. I am not an experienced mechanic, especially on a car like this, but that sounds like something I can try.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
an external pump will do the trick. and it is probably going to cost you less then buying the OE pump assembly. You have the space in the back there to mount it and the regulator so no worries there.. The only 2 things that are going to be a challenge for you is getting to the line at the pump inside the tank so you can extend it to reach the bottom of the tank. You are going to have to drill through the top of the hanger assembly in order to add a return. That's not too hard to do you will need a right angle drill attachment tho.

and here is the connector you are going to need in order to attach the return and have it drop into the tank.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts