Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the passenger side flap door back on and working properly. Raised and lowered the convertible top to check everything out. Got up this morning and noticed that the corner of the top, at the back of the drivers side window where it meets the body, is flapping free. Looks like the material that surrounde the plastic carriage piece ripped out and the carriage piece came completely out of the track. The plastic piece is also bent/fractured and will not go back to being straight. I took the top out of the car and will be taking it over to a friend of mine who does upholstery and top work for hotrods and custom cars...will see if he can figure out a way to fix it or tell me where to go locally. If I have to get a "new top", can I get just the fabric and window or do I have to get the frame and all? I now I have seen a couple of complete tops advertised for sale here on this site but would be kind of leary about shipping charges and quality. I may call the local Chevy dealer Monday and see what they say. I am a month old owner of this car, a 2006. I do not mind working on the car as I also own a couple of MG's and just got rid of an old Harley in order to finance the Solstice. Anyway, just wondering what the general consensus is on how to go about repairing this top...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE!! Think I found the cause of the problem...there are two cables attached to the plastic corner piece that rides in a track. The cables are for pulling the corner up or down when folding or unfolding the top. Somehow, the bottom cable jumped track and came off the little pulley and got trapped beside it allowing no movement at all. This is what caused the fabric corner pocket to rip open and the plastic piece to break. I have freed up the cable and put it back on the pulley. I made up a 16 ga. piece of stainless steel to gusset up the plastic piece. This will be held on with ss pop rivets. Of course, all my rivets are either too short or too long so will have to wait till tomorrow to buy some more. Monday, I will take the top assembly to the upholstry shop and see if there is any way to sew the corner material back together. Thinking that maybe I could use contact cement in that area if sewing is out of the question.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE #2: Pop-riveted the stainless sheet metal to the back of the plastic corner piece along with the cable anchor. Pop-riveted the plastic corner piece to the cardboard backer in the corner of the top as the factory did. There is now no way anyone could sew the torn flap back in. I went ahead and used contact cement to glue it down. Installed the plastic feet into the track with a little help from Momma. Corner piece/top now moves up and down as it is supposed to. Later this evening, I hope to get a couple of my neighbors to help me get the top back in the car...it ain't light weight and it is kind of awkward to manipulate. The top is six almost seven years old and has some fraying around the edges here and there. Would like to find some kind of waterproof glue to prevent those edges from getting worse. May also start checking into getting a new top eventually.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
UPDATE #2: The top is six almost seven years old and has some fraying around the edges here and there. Would like to find some kind of waterproof glue to prevent those edges from getting worse.
I use: Bish's Original Tear Mender "Instant Fabric & Leather Adhesive"

Works very well on our canvas tops and holds up great. I had a little wear damage on the lead edge of my top, at the corners. Applied this fix almost three years ago, and still holding up great. I have a black top, so after the repair had thoroughly dried, I applied a little black touch up to the repaired area, to help hide the fix-worked great.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE #3 ...and hopefully the last one! The top is back on the car and in fine working condition. Cannot tell the problem ever existed. Will be looking for the Bish's product later today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. Generally, I consider convertible tops like license plates - they need to be replaced every seven years.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Glad you are back to normal with the top. Hope you get many more years out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts