Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was considering upgrading my audio system and was trying to find some ideas for a wish list. I actually like my stock radio with the radio cover now on it. I like the stock look overall. I never liked the fancy look in MY car (other cars are cool but I like stealthy). I do like the touch navigation type systems but I don't like the lighting in night driving. I am not a car audio person by any means but I know in my past cars that when I needed new radios or speakers, they never made me go wow that sounds awesome. In reading the forum reads here and Kappa, it seems hit and miss. I learned a lot but not nearly enough.

I have the Monsoon system and if possible I like to upgrade all speakers to get a better sound effect while driving top down. Reasonably priced. $50-100 range per set? I would prefer not to get any new amps.

In researching speakers to match the current OEM ohm type I found two 2 ohm types for door speakers and tweeters:
1. JBL GTO608C's ($50-70.00)
2. Infinity Kappa 60.9cs's ($100.00 to $135.00)

Any others of same? I understand there are more 4 ohm speakers but if the sound goes down, I then have to turn it up more???

Both of these sets have crossovers but I've read the monsoon amp has it built in and some say to add the crossover? Anyone know and what does the monsoon amp give power to?

I was not sure on rear speakers brands. I heard the debate of improve or not improve but If I can get something , what would be good?

Same for the sub. Is there a good 8 inch sub to sub?

I also looked at a Clark Synthesis TST209 Tactile Transducer vs. Aura under the driver side seat. Thoughts?

Not that I'm trying to cheap out but just adding a few bits to improve without asking the family for something crazy.

Your ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
The Monsoon amp supplies power to the door speakers, the tweeters, the rear 3/4 speakers and the sub.

The door speakers and A-pillar tweeters are wired directly from the amp, via some internal crossover (but of unknown quality!). If you were to replace the door speakers with component speakers, you could put the crossovers with the amp from the door speaker outputs and then cut/splice the speaker wires to the crossover.

As for 4 vs. 2 ohm, something equally (or more) important is the speaker sensitivity figures. The more sensitive a speaker is, the more sound at a given power in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will say that I replaced only my head unit with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, wired into the stock system, and the difference in sound quality was dramatic. I bought the unit in anticipation of replacing the amplifier and the speakers eventually and running it in "network" mode, but I was so impressed with the difference that it became a much lower priority.

The stock head unit is an absolute piece of junk, and is actually letting down an otherwise decent (but not outstanding) system. My recommendation is replace the turd stock unit first, then work from there.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Heh. I did the opposite. Yes, I changed the head unit, but only for the factory USB version. Then I added amp and all new speakers, and the difference in sound quality was dramatic. Plus I like the simplicity and ease of use of the stock headunit.

I since put a Kenwood touch screen unit in my wife's car and HATE the convoluted, complex and arcane user interface. No experience with the Pioneer, but I can only hope that it's better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 80PRS is a higher-end unit in terms of audio quality, but is a single DIN unit with the typical aftermarket unit navigation controls. I hate touch screen anything so I wasn't interested in a double-DIN, and I find the interface on this unit to be straightforward enough, but it's certainly not as trivial to use as the stock unit.

What it lacks in interface simplicity it more than makes up for with more control over the audio dynamics than other units. Maybe that's part of the reason it is able to get so much more out of the stock system. The far superior audio quality and the extended interface options (2xUSB, SD card, Bluetooth) more than make up for anything I miss with the stock unit.

And with the single DIN, I get a storage cubby in the center dash, effectively doubling my interior storage space... :thumbs:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If a new amp is a better way, is there one that can cover the speakers in the same way but more power? Also to add the Clark Transducer? Essentially 8 speakers or am I thinking the wrong way?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also brands, what do you like? What holds up?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading more and more and finding TS's name on most of them on the forums this is what I'm leaning towards since they meet the same ohm's as stock and seem to have good sensitivity levels:

Fronts/tweeters: JBL GTO608C's ($70.00) 2ohm/92dB
Rears: Kicker KS35 3.5 ($38.00) 4ohm/88dB
Sub:Kicker 40CWRT82 600W 8" ($100.00) 2ohm/84.8dB and dual coil
Tactile Transducer: Clark Synthesis TST209 ($110.00) 4ohm

So if I change the amp too, what would be a good fit to improve over the monsoon? Can one be used for all this? If I get an amp, would changing speakers in this range be better?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I kept the stock amp on mine & went with the Kenwood DNN 770 HD navi receiver player & Focal coax speakers in the doors along with Dynamat insulation in the doors. The unit has a lot more punch & a lot cleaner sound. Quite a learning curve with what the sytem is capable of doing . It uses a dongle at the end of a usb cable to get the internet. So far very happy. Best of luck Cdflint in your search.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I know the HU will give better response. I just happen to like the look. I've been looking for a 5 channel amp. So many my head is spinning. Whats good, what looks good but dung. What fits in the area where the monsoon is?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I've been looking at HU's and thinking of the Pioneer Appradio 4 along with 5 channel amps but just cant find what is quality at a reasonable price and what is crap. Thank considering a farad capacitor. Man this stuff can rack up quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I am sure you have seen this as you bought my aftermarket radio dash kit cover so you know my tale. Just in case......

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/my-new-avatar-soon-splash-screen-plus-door-speakers-117642/

CD, I honestly could not be happier with what I have done. I spent an easy 2k but it is worth every penny. Here is my justification....
1) Love the look and technology of the aftermarket head unit.
2) love having my avatar on the screen when I turn car on.
3) having a back up camera when roof is up or hard top is on is a great plus that I never thought I would need and now would not want to be without.
4) Noticed an improvement in sound quality when I had new head unit put in. When I added new door speakers it became incredible.

That is my 2 cents.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
67 Posts
I use a Pioneer appradio4, the front is all flat so it looks decently stealthy and it works with apple carplay which is really nice for maps. As far as audio, kicker KS components in the front, 3.5 ks coaxials in the back, amplified by a px300.4. Sub is a kicker hideaway. works pretty nicely.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all. My list has been given and we'll see what I get to know what else to get to complete a system.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy after Christmas...

My wife and family were very good to me. I received the JBL GTO608C's component speakers, Kicker KS35 rear speaker, Kicker 40CWRT82 subwoofer, Rockville RXH-F5 5 channel amp, Rockville RXC4D capacitor and Rockville wiring kit to re-wire everything. I also received speakers for my DD (Honda Element). Next up is looking at aftermarket radios. Leaning towards the Pioneer AVH-X2700bs for both cars but looking at the Pioneer Appradio 4 for the Solstice. It just depends on the deal I can find.

Looking to get everything together and then put all in. It going to be fun.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have started this project and the Amp is way bigger than the Monsoon. Thats ok. It is a 5 channel amp so I have the fronts with the crossovers done, the rears done and the sub done.

My issue is I have a Clark Transducer installed on the rear of the drivers seat but how should I wire to the amp? (things I should have thought about before I tore apart the car.)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got an email back from a kicker tech and I'll be wiring the sub in series with the Clark parallel wiring to the amp. I tried reading the ohms on a meter but the darn thing does not read properly. I think I'll take the car to an audio shop to cut the section out for the amp, bolt it down and set the power on the amp to its best capabilities.

My other issue I've had has been with the wiring. I got the GMOS LAN 04 and the steering control unit but when I try to program the steering wheel it wont connect and it also makes the volume go full blast every time I shut the car off? Anybody have this kind of issue? Also the chimes and onstar are not working either? The wiring couldn't be any more simple.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the radio and amp are now installed. Sounds great with a bit more fine tuning getting used to more advanced speaker balance. Seems the sound reduces during speed? But when I turn it up it is crisp. I also added the USB port in the middle storage area.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Way to go. Very, very nice!:thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the process of replacing monsoon system. Started backwards and ran into some issues. Replaced door and tweets with HERTZ HSK 165, Sub with kenwood 8in Excelon and Kenwood XR900 5 channel amp. Guys who did the install messed it up and could not get the balance or fade to work properly. Was told i would need to change out head unit to fix the issues. New shop is in process of installing JVC-KW-V200BT head unit. Seems the GMOS lan4 will not work now that the monsoon amp was pulled. Being told that i will need to run older GMOS LAN 3 to run my amp. anyone else have this issue? Or were you able to get the Lan 04 to work, and if so how? Lan 03 arrives tomorrow fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts