Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls. I've been a long time watcher on this forum and just now joined. First a little about me, then I'll get to my question. I bought my black 2006 Pontiac Solstice 4.5 years ago when I was 15. Ever since I saw the concept in 2004, I knew I wanted one. So, I worked and saved like crazy for a down payment, and financed the rest. In 2010, my car was sitting by the railroad track in my town with a for sale sign. It had 54k miles on it and I paid 11,500 for it. Anyways, it now has 107k miles on it and has been a pretty good car to maintain and an absolute blast to own. I've had to have the exhaust manifold replaced (cracked), starter, A/C blower motor, then oil changes, and a set of tires. So, all in all, pretty good. Well, it's a manual and has 107k miles on the original clutch and it also has the original water pump, so I'm sure that is coming soon. As of recent, it has taken a small down turn, the valve cover gasket is leaking oil, the front brakes have finally warn out (not really a down turn, just maintenence), the rear suspension is sagging quite a bit, for example, the tires are leaning inward but, no broken springs or anything, and the cruise control issue that I promise I'm getting to.

Ok, so I'm out of school for Christmas break (I'm in college) and I'm taking the car in Monday to have the valve cover gasket replaced, the rear suspension realigned (I think this would be the cheapest way assuming nothing is broken), and then to have the cruise control looked at.

The problem is that I don't really know what to expect for the cruise which scares me because I don't really trust dealerships and I don't want to have parts thrown at it.

Finally to it, the cruise works the vast majority of the time, however, when there is a person in the passenger seat, it gets a bit sketchy. If the person adjusts in the seat, pushes on the base board, or something of the sort, the cruise kicks off if I have it on. Sometimes, if someone is in the passenger seat, it won't even let me set it. All the buttons in the steering wheel work as far as I'm aware. Do you all have any clue about what could cause that? I just want to have something to tell them when I drop it off.

Sorry about that, I'm pretty long winded. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Body control module is under the passenger side floor board. But I THINK the cruise would only be connected to the Engine Control Module so someone fidgeting or putting pressure against the floorboard shouldn't, in my mind, cause a connection to cut out.

Possibility the wiring harness exits the passenger compartment on that side? I'll have to go look at my service manuals.

TS - where're you at?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I am not sure if it's helpful, but I believe the BCM interfaces with the EVM and the drivers controls. If there were some kind if connecter issue with the BCM it's theoretically a source.

There are instances where the BCM checks status of the center brake light and if it's burned out or disconnected it disables the cruise.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Brief check of shop manual this afternoon (between other tasks.) Fuse 28 feeds the left and right steering wheel controls. Theoretically this could cause a break/make/break signal for the cruise?

I'd be suspicious that the fuse and terminals may be fine - be sure to check the underside plug of the bcm. Lemme find the post I had on the HVAC blower cutting out on mine....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much Chicken Wire. I will definitely take a look around on your links and see if I can find anything before I drop it off Monday. Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here it is. Nose around and see if you can find a bad connection or a broken wire. I can't see the cruise being a big current load like when my blower cooked a terminal, but there might be something loose in/around the BCM.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/heater-ac-blower-stopped-working-68002/index5.html
When my blower went out, it took out the connector with it as well. But, since the cruise only doesn't work when people are in the passenger seat, I don't know that it would have a broken wire.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Wow! Interesting one. Apart from the already stated theory that the passenger is pressing on the BCM somehow - a stretch I would think - the only other connection I can think of is that the passenger sensor box grounds the 'airbag ON' light in the dash, when someone is in the seat. Maybe there's a short somewhere that's affecting the cruise control wiring(?)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I now realize that TS means Tomato Soup and not Topper Sol haha.

Anyways, I hope not Tomato, in the dash shorts sound expensive.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Wow! Interesting one. Apart from the already stated theory that the passenger is pressing on the BCM somehow - a stretch I would think - the only other connection I can think of is that the passenger sensor box grounds the 'airbag ON' light in the dash, when someone is in the seat. Maybe there's a short somewhere that's affecting the cruise control wiring(?)
Soup - the only way I found my short for the blower was when I was pushing the floorboard back down after re-assembling. I felt a puff of air through the dash vent on the side of my head while I was putting it back together. That's when I realized there had to be something going on under the bcm because everything on "top" checked out good.

If the presence of a passenger on the air bag sensor is the determining factor, something REALLY screw would have to be going on, as the sensor actually communicates via the network, right? So a processor or piece of code would have to disable the cruise because somebody is or isn't in the passenger seat? I don't see how that could tie into any programming logic???

Topper did mention that it appeared to have occurred when a passenger moved and/or was pressing against the floor?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
If the presence of a passenger on the air bag sensor is the determining factor, something REALLY screw would have to be going on, as the sensor actually communicates via the network, right? So a processor or piece of code would have to disable the cruise because somebody is or isn't in the passenger seat? I don't see how that could tie into any programming logic???
Yes... and... No. The sensor communicates with the BCM over GMLAN, true. But it ALSO provides a direct switched-ground circuit to turn on the LEDs in the Airbag display in the dash. You may have seen a couple of posts where people have cross connected the contacts in the connector, seen the lights go on/off, and think they've 'fixed' it. All they did was just turn the lights on/off!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cruise interfaces with the BCM at wire/terminal J2-61, circuit #1884, gray wire. So it wouldn't surprise me if your issue starts there.

If you pull back the carpet in the forward passenger foot well, there should be a close-out panel that protects the BCM and connections (like a plastic piece of cardboard). Do you have this in your car? If it's missing, it'd be a lot easier for a passenger to put pressure on the BCM connections and cause issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The J2 connector at the BCM (may also be called X2 in some documents), is the 72-way small connector located at the "top" of the BCM in-vehicle. I believe that pin #61 should be the 7th terminal on the top row from the left (if I recall orientation correctly) when looking at the BCM. I'd guess your issue is on the harness side of the connection so find the corresponding wire/terminal on the harness and troubleshoot from there.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Cruise interfaces with the BCM at wire/terminal J2-61, circuit #1884, gray wire. So it wouldn't surprise me if your issue starts there.

If you pull back the carpet in the forward passenger foot well, there should be a close-out panel that protects the BCM and connections (like a plastic piece of cardboard). Do you have this in your car? If it's missing, it'd be a lot easier for a passenger to put pressure on the BCM connections and cause issues.
That's the GMLAN signal connection. If that was bad, he'd have FAR worse issues than just disabling cruise.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Yes... and... No. The sensor communicates with the BCM over GMLAN, true. But it ALSO provides a direct switched-ground circuit to turn on the LEDs in the Airbag display in the dash. You may have seen a couple of posts where people have cross connected the contacts in the connector, seen the lights go on/off, and think they've 'fixed' it. All they did was just turn the lights on/off!
Understood, but turning an LED on or off could cause the cruise to cut out?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Because it's a switched ground, if it were shorted somehow, with the cruise switch wire(s), it might affect the cruise controls. Bit of a stretch too, but the only connection I can see apart from a fubar'd BCM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's the GMLAN signal connection. If that was bad, he'd have FAR worse issues than just disabling cruise.
TS,

I believe J2-61 is a discreet switch to the steering wheel for cruise control on/off. HS GMLAN travels through J2-1, J2-2, J2-19 & J2-20 and are tan wires, circuits 2500 & 2501.

Generally communication between the steering wheel and the BCM is a discreet wire. Between BCM and ECM is over LAN via some logic in the BCM. If there's an intermittent connection caused by the passenger putting pressure on the terminal J2-61 at the BCM, I may expect the cruise to cut out.

LS GMLAN is at J2-38 for reference.

I agree if LAN was involved, there would be bigger issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts