Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note of caution. Yesterday I was driving my wife's car in the right lane of the interstate and got passed by a new Camero Convertible, good looking car. He was about 3 care-lengths in front of me in the middle lane when the snap-n or velcoi cover for his top let loose and came flying at our car.

I managed to dodge it by going to the shoulder, but on a cruise at 65 or 70 it could cover a Sol windshield and lead to a very unpleasant experience.

Chased him down and let him know where his cover landed, may have a few tire tracks before he got back, but at least nobody got hurt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Like an aftermarket cover?
Not necessarily. The RS/SS model comes with a "tonneau" or "boot" cover to hide the top when down. This is installed manually and secured by two clips that friction fit into two posts (2010-2011). The 2012+ use the same posts but use an elastic band of sorts to secure it. This is well documented on the Camaro5 forum. That why I no longer use my cover; plus it's a pain to manually install and remove anytime you want to use the powered roof.

Back to the op, good thing you or anyone else didn't get killed because of it.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Not necessarily. The RS/SS model comes with a "tonneau" or "boot" cover to hide the top when down. This is installed manually and secured by two clips that friction fit into two posts (2010-2011). The 2012+ use the same posts but use an elastic band of sorts to secure it. This is well documented on the Camaro5 forum. That why I no longer use my cover; plus it's a pain to manually install and remove anytime you want to use the powered roof.

Back to the op, good thing you or anyone else didn't get killed because of it.
It must have been a bit of an afterthought to build. Clearly not wind-tested. Something that people don't give the Solstice enough credit for is that its top is wind tested to go much faster than the majority of soft-top convertibles in the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts