• Some other option that is detailed below

Votes: 27 14.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I started a poll ... yea, right ... Anywho, since I almost spilled my coffee on the way to work today as the cup nearly went flying out of the passenger side cup holder I thought I might see how the rest of you feel about the subject :D

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Woops, probably missed an option in the poll so if your fine with the cup holders the way they are just post a reply and say that.

Oh and I think someone could make a fortune with one that hangs on the front seat pouch and goes to the floor that keeps your drink between your legs ... are you listening aftermarket guys?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You left out

I don't really use them and they don't bother me so I don't care. :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My feelings on the subject of people spilling their precious coffee inside their cars because they want to drink java and drive?

You really don't want to know my feelings on that. When did this 'I need my coffee and teacups with me 24 hours a day' nonsense begin anyhow? I see kids with their own travel mugs of Joe at the flippin bus stop in the morning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My feelings on the subject of people spilling their precious coffee inside their cars because they want to drink java and drive?

You really don't want to know my feelings on that. When did this 'I need my coffee and teacups with me 24 hours a day' nonsense begin anyhow? I see kids with their own travel mugs of Joe at the flippin bus stop in the morning.

I agree. It is crazy. I read an article a couple of years ago that discussed this. It talked about one minivan (I know, who cares) that had 17 cup holders around the vehicle.

I do not currently remember the percentage (but 1% is ridiculous) but I was very surprised at the percentage of purchasers who said that the number and placement of cup holders was a major consideration in their purchasing decision and the lack of cup holders would eliminate a vehicle from consideration.

-

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts

edit:: removed off topic subject matter per OP's request

Personally .... I don't use ANY of the cup holders because in IMHO they are USELESS for their intended purpose.

I purchased a "Wedge" (picture will have to wait) that slides between the seat and the waterfall that I use on the passenger side... holds two drinks and has a section between for change, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Some other option detailed below...

I smoke, and I smoke in my cars. I have an ashtray that fits in the passenger-side cup holder, haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it could stay just like it is, for me.

I do, however, have a problem with the waterfall cup holder. On a long trip, my wife uses it for her drink, and I use it to hold the ashtray while my drink is in the front cup holder. I wouldn't want the waterfall cup holder removed, in this case, but I do wish that you had to turn a latch like you do for the storage compartment. It is a regular occurrence for me to bump the cup holder with my elbow, which causes it to slide out. Then, when I turn to look over my shoulder for traffic, I end up laying my arm on it, not knowing that it's there. I'm afraid that eventually I will break it. As far as depth, usability, etc, I don't have any trouble with them as they are. I've never had the ashtray jump out, nor a drink. The drinks are never in there other than on an interstate, anyway. When I am commuting, My morning coffee is in my lunchbag - I don't drink it on the road, unless I find myself sitting in traffic, waiting for a wreck to be cleared, very rare for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've never had a problem with the cupholders. The passenger side one is perfect for solo driving. Easy access and not in the way of anything. Then the waterfall cupholder is a beautiful invention that allows you to open the cupholder with out using any hands, just lean your elbow back and pop there it is. I've never even hit it with my arm while driving. I guess I am just concious of it and keep my hand on the shifter so I never run into the issue.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts

The way I see it, those who can't imagine taking a beverage along with them in their car don't use their cars the same way the rest of us do.

I don't bring my morning coffee in the car every day when I ride to work. But if I'm on a multi-hour road trip (anywhere from 2 to 15 hours just to get there) to attend a Solstice/Sky meeting somewhere, you better believe I'm gonna bring some beverages and a snack or two to get me through the drive without stopping every time I get thirsty or hungry.

My personal belief is that I bought this car to enjoy. And if some arbitrary rule I set for myself (like no food or beverages in the car) makes me miss out on some of that enjoyment, then it is a bad rule, and I don't need it.

I do try to stick to soda, tea or water in bottles so that I can screw the cap on and not have a spill if it falls out of the cup holder; and dry, crumbly food like a granola bar that can be vacuumed up, rather than something messy like a jelly donut. But that has more to do with me being lazy and not wanting to clean up a big mess than it does any need to protect my car from the ravages of everyday life. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
i like the passenger side cup holder, but

Since you cannot actually SEE it while driving, the "brail" on it should be more distinct so you more easily find it while you're feeling for it to pop it open.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Remove the waterfall cup holder, it doesn't hold things well. Cold drinks sweat and drip down onto the center console and the damb thing opens when you close the door, trunk, hit bumps. how annoying.... The passenger one is kinda ok except when you have a passenger hehe, with limited leg room due to the fuse panel, the cup hold is useless with a passenger. I end up using a screw on bottle that I place next to me behind the seat belt connection.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I don't bring my morning coffee in the car every day when I ride to work. But if I'm on a multi-hour road trip (anywhere from 2 to 15 hours just to get there) to attend a Solstice/Sky meeting somewhere, you better believe I'm gonna bring some beverages and a snack or two to get me through the drive without stopping every time I get thirsty or hungry.

I do try to stick to soda, tea or water in bottles so that I can screw the cap on and not have a spill if it falls out of the cup holder; and dry, crumbly food like a granola bar that can be vacuumed up, rather than something messy like a jelly donut. But that has more to do with me being lazy and not wanting to clean up a big mess than it does any need to protect my car from the ravages of everyday life. ;)
:agree: :lol: :agree: How true, but lose the waterfall.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
...The passenger one is kinda ok except when you have a passenger hehe, with limited leg room due to the fuse panel, the cup hold is useless with a passenger....
Hey, if I have a passenger, HE is holding my drink for me! Then who needs a cupholder? Problem solved. :lol:

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I have never had any trouble but then I do have a trick that makes that possible. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never had a problem with the cupholders. The passenger side one is perfect for solo driving. Easy access and not in the way of anything. Then the waterfall cupholder is a beautiful invention that allows you to open the cupholder with out using any hands, just lean your elbow back and pop there it is. I've never even hit it with my arm while driving. I guess I am just concious of it and keep my hand on the shifter so I never run into the issue.
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So since this is my thread.

How about if I ask that everyone who is posting to please remain on topic with what if anything you would like to see changed about the cup holders. If you have editorial comment then you are more then free to start your own thread. If folks can't do that then I may insist that the moderators do a bit of housekeeping.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Now back on topic anyone else find that the current depth of the passenger side cup holder can lead to what ever is in it to to be on the passenger seat floor while navigating the twisty roads for which a Solstice was made to own?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I only use bottles with screw on tops when driving Lucy (ducks as I admit I'm not a coffee drinker) and they tend to try to flip out of the cup holders. I'd like them deeper and I'm considering one of those wedges but I'm wondering if that will cramp a passenger as well?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The very first day I owned my Sol I used the passenger side cup holder and dumped an entire, untouched iced coffee in the passenger side footwell. I was irritated to say the least. I'd like to see that cupholder beefed up a little. Just way too easy to touch the breaks and dump your drink.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife and I use all the cupholders. When I am riding alone I will use the passenger side holder. If we are together then we use the waterfall holder. Usually only 16 to 20 oz waters.

I have heard many complaints about difficulty in reaching the waterfalls and the passenger side holder popping out. Yes these things occur. I have to twist a little to get to the waterfalls and the passenger side will pop out on my wife once in awhile.

These are small inconvienences compared to having well placed perfect cupholders in say a honda or mazda or a sedan of some kind.

Run it fast and hard, twist and grab your drink on the straight road and try to get it back into the holder before the next turn. Enjoy the ride and the feel, don't sweat the small stuff. Let the people who are jealous, wish, and dream of having one complain about all the supposed shortcomings to justify their not being able to have one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have to admit that I don't use the passenger cup holder very much.
But, it does come in very handy when you are on a long, or longer trip, and you need a cup of Java. Most of the long, or longer trips, have been by my lonesome.
Ever put a cup of coffee in the waterfall cup holder, and than try to get it out while driving. On my part, it could be on "America's Funniest Videos.":lol: :lol:
FYI- I would like to see the passenger side holder beefed up. Just my opinion;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts