Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 94 Probe GT that has a cup holder behind the drivers right elbow, and I have to tell you, it is the WORST place for a cup holder. Try reaching for your cup of hot coffee in the Probe, where there is a back area to reveive your outstretched elbow, and it's bad enough. The solstice holder between the seats is going to make for some seriously fancy contortions (and the odd unintended lane change here and there...) I suspect I'll be using the passenger side knee-high holder when I'm driving solo.

(Wow... I'm bitching about the cup holder... I've reached a new low in my wait for the Solstice :nonod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I can't drink and shift at same time anyway :willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Danno said:
(Wow... I'm bitching about the cup holder... I've reached a new low in my wait for the Solstice :nonod:
Just be glad you know where the cup holders are and what they look like now. I think we spent a two solid months pondering this until AztekzRpurty finaly got some pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mceb said:
I can't drink and shift at same time anyway :willy:
There's a reason why Porsches don't have cupholders...and minivans do.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I had a 91 Probe and a 97 Probe. The 91 had no cupholder, so the 97's behind the gearshift was an improvement IMO! :lol:

From the looks of the Sol, the cupholders in the Sol will be much farther back from the gearshift than the Probe's is. The Probe's essentially pops out of the front of the little armrest, while in the Sol they are at the back of the armrest. I am hoping they are far enough back to avoid elbow contact in spirited driving.

There is a third cupholder off the central tunnel into the passenger footwell. Worse comes to worse you could use that one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Porsche's have regular cupholders (not the pretty lady kind, but the attached to the car inanimate object kind).

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The cup holders in the water fall may be usable by the passenger but probably not by the driver. My Miata has two cup holders build into the center console between the seats. To use it you have to open the console and clear out all the junk that migrated into the the cup depressions. It's a disaster. I bought two flip open cup holders which I mounted on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel. These cup holders work great and are located well for the driver. The similar location in the Sol should work okay for those of us who like to sip on a diet pepsi while we drive home from work.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drink coffee and eat in cars (or starve) with manuals as follows...
Left foot clutch operation
Right foot Accelerator and Brake
Left hand sustinance
Right hand gear shift
Right more than left knee on steering wheel to maintain (rather than change)direction.

Turns are hard but it depends on the bank and radius.
Best to time it properly on a familiar straight-away, assured clear distance, and when one is least likely to need to shift.

Also, I wont allow any eating, drinking, spitting, slobbering, flatualance, emesis, micturation, or smoking in or near my Solstice either. Ive found eating in a car is the quickest, surest way to have work harder to keep the interior looking good.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'll make it work. I'm just thankful they're there!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Solstick said:
I drink coffee and eat in cars (or starve) with manuals as follows...
Left foot clutch operation
Right foot Accelerator and Brake
Left hand sustinance
Right hand gear shift
Right more than left knee on steering wheel to maintain (rather than change)direction.

Turns are hard but it depends on the bank and radius.
Best to time it properly on a familiar straight-away, assured clear distance, and when one is least likely to need to shift.

Also, I wont allow any eating, drinking, spitting, slobbering, flatualance, emesis, micturation, or smoking in or near my Solstice either. Ive found eating in a car is the quickest, surest way to have work harder to keep the interior looking good.
What about someone who wants to nictitate in your car? ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Other activities

I passed a lady the other day on the interstate, actually she passed me at 80, and had her checkbook on the steering wheel balancing it as she drove. Scary! :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
First look at cupholders.... :rolleyes: Pontiac...I luv ya, but what were you thinking!!! :brentil: My elbow only folds one way (not backwards) and I'm going to have to lean out the window to reach my drink!!! :cuss:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My Camaro has a flip out cup holder very similar to the Solstices and it works very well. I shift and drive fine but it's still in reach. I never use the cup holder behind the shifter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove a Honda CRX for 12 years and having no cup holders really sux! Told myself that I would never do that again. I had been looking at a Chrysler Crossfire, but THEIR cup holder is the worst thing I have ever seen. It pops up under your right elbow and the cup just sits out in the middle of your arm rest. I thought I was going to have to settle for a crappy cup holder. Having the cup behind my right shoulder will be a little hard to get at, but I will just have to reach around with my left hand or use the passenger side holder.

HORAY!!!!! I have found my next car! And I can get it with every bell and whistle for around 22,000.00 (according to the Pontiac site) No heated leather seats though :(

Anyone want to buy a 97 Cadillac STS?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
brian carpenter said:
I passed a lady the other day on the interstate, actually she passed me at 80, and had her checkbook on the steering wheel balancing it as she drove. Scary! :lol: :cool:
And yet woman get cheeper insurance.

But I don't want to get started on that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts