Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Santana cup holder in my GXP. The next morning when I left for work I discovered that none of my travel mugs would fit in my new cup holder. The Santana is a very well built cup holder that I like very much. Does anyone know where to get a nice stainless travel/coffee mug that will fit in this holder properly?:willy:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Hammacher-Schlemmer has a commuter cup that is the diameter of a 12 oz can but is taller. They don't travel well in the center console holder as they tend to rock due to the taller height. I've left one with ice water in the side holder, top down, in 95 degree heat and there were still ice cubes in it the following morning.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Hammacher-Schlemmer has a commuter cup that is the diameter of a 12 oz can but is taller. They don't travel well in the center console holder as they tend to rock due to the taller height. I've left one with ice water in the side holder, top down, in 95 degree heat and there were still ice cubes in it the following morning.
Interesting Chickenwire! Is it the one on their website called the. "Best Commuter Cup"? If so, it fits perfectly into the Santana holder?
Dimensions are 9 inches high x 2.5 inches wide.
Please confirm.

I only use small water bottles in my cupholder. My understanding from Rich Santana is that if you want to use bigger containers in it you can remove the stirrup.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That cup sounds like what I need. I have some cups that come close to fitting but they are 2 5/8 inch diameter, and have a slight taper. They will go in it but at an angle, and wedge against the handle before it contacts the stirrup. I would prefer buy a cup that fits properly rather than to grind material off of the cup holder or reshape/dent the cups that I have.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
That cup sounds like what I need. I have some cups that come close to fitting but they are 2 5/8 inch diameter, and have a slight taper. They will go in it but at an angle, and wedge against the handle before it contacts the stirrup. I would prefer buy a cup that fits properly rather than to grind material off of the cup holder or reshape/dent the cups that I have.
Me too! As I said right now I only use small water bottles. If this fits I will be able to have a coffee!!!:thumbs:
Standing by for Chickenwire's feedback.:cool:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
That is the cup I'm referring to. The Best Commuter Cup - Hammacher Schlemmer

Keep in mind that the top "flips" up so if I take a drink whilst behind the wheel I turn my head sideways to keep an eye on the road..

I'll assume the Santana holder is the same diameter as the stock holder? I'll double check the fit tonight when I get home.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts

Keep in mind that the top "flips" up so if I take a drink whilst behind the wheel I turn my head sideways to keep an eye on the road..

I'll assume the Santana holder is the same diameter as the stock holder? I'll double check the fit tonight when I get home.
Yep...that is the one I was referring to. Appreciate you double checking the fit with the Santana Holder.:thumbs: I have containers that I used with my original holder but do to fit the Santana holder. I know I am pushing it, :devil:but if you could...a picture of this "Commuter Cup" in the Santana holder would be really helpful.:thumbs:

·
Registered
612 Posts

Nice, but way too tall. I have an old Aladdin that I use that's only 7" tall. I tried the taller units and one fell out of the holder onto the floor and made a mess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Santana holder is smaller than stock. only one of the cups that I have been using in the stock holder will fit the Santana, and it wedges in at an angle.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Don't have the Santana holder, but a shot in the stock holder will not be a problem.

Sky - I understand your concern, probably moreso now that I'm driving the Sol a little more "aggressive" than at first. lol. This flip top, however, doesn't leak. I also like the lock on the lid so I can toss it on the floor or in the trunk without worrying about it.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Remove the stirrup, I was the first to do this entirely by accident, the screw came out I never put it back. it will hold a RT 44 Sonic cup, without the stirrup it won't hold a bottle anymore

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I love my Santana holder. It works great with the stirrup in and smaller bottles of water. I thought Chickenwire had the Santana set up and this " Commuter Container " worked with it. However it appears that is not the case. As the other post mentioned it is too tall. I would suspect this to be true. Therefore I will continue to drink my water and wait to see what develops on this thread.:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Okay - this is in the stock holder which is 3.0 inches in diameter and about 2.5 inches deep (to the stirrup). As you see, the little "bump" that is intended to take up the slack for a standard 12 oz can doesn't get it on the taller cup from H&S. However, if the Santana holder is smaller in diameter it might be better.

This is a shot of the "bump" that the stock holder has:

I'm not the type of person to recommend something "because I bought it, you should too". Though the fit in the stock holder is less than desirable, the quality of the cup is very good. Seams are tight and clean and the plastic (which I work in) is of very good quality.

If in doubt, Hammacher/Schlemmer has a lifetime unconditional warrantly. You might pay shipping back, but you'll get the purchase price returned.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Chickenwire. Definetly helps. I will contemplate.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
You do loose functionality without the stirrup, I most likely would never have removed mine if the screw hadn't fallen out, I do sometimes miss the ability to hold a bottle but it holds my coffee cup and any fast cup food great, it's an option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts