Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the Sol is American made, which I think is to be commended. But I was curious to see how Amercian the Solstice is. Does anyone have their parts content sticker that can share what the domestic (US/Canada) parts content is for the Solstice? I am curious!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fortimir said:
:eek: Now that sounds a little exagerated!

mikefred1952 said:
It's posted at 80% on one of the labels.
Now that is the figure I am looking for! (The production Sol I had driven didn't have it's stickers on it anymore, and I didn't see the parts content sticker). Thanks!!

New question. What does this srticker say for US/Canadian parts content on a Miata? :devil:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
It's posted at 80% on one of the labels.
That seems kind of high considering that parts we already know (transmission, seats? (frames),...) Someone must have their sticker (laminated and framed :lol: ) handy - please confirm

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:
New question. What does this srticker say for US/Canadian parts content on a Miata? :devil:
I'm thinking ZERO!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I found this doing a search on the Miata:

The Mazda Miata was created because a Mazda designer named Bob was asked what type of cars Mazda should make? Bob replied by saying that Mazda should build a "low priced, open-bodied sports car." Bob drew his first sketches of the MX-5 Miata car moments after he said this. Ask Bob the creator a question at Miata.net He answers all questions. The first Miata was available in May 1989. This car is a front engine rear wheel-drive vehicle.

Mr. Lutz: how could you? Tell me it wasn't you. Well, I'm just glad you came over to the Orange side, Bob. Viva La Revolucion!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Farther down I found this:

The 2nd generation model of this car was available in March of 1998. The differences between the two generations are minor. The 2nd generation model has exposed headlights, a spare tire under the trunk and large, color handles for the door. The engine is a 4 cylinder and this car is exclusively manufactured in Japan.

So in 1998 it was 100% manufactured in Japan. Probably still is, eh?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I read a article that said the guy that actually came up with the design drawings for the Solstice and Sky came VW. He was responsible for the Audi TT and new bettle. About 6 months ago he went to the M company.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gizmo2004 said:
So in 1998 it was 100% manufactured in Japan. Probably still is, eh?

I'd imagine so. At least, it probably has no parts from the US.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Iwant1 said:
I read a article that said the guy that actually came up with the design drawings for the Solstice and Sky came VW. He was responsible for the Audi TT and new bettle. About 6 months ago he went to the M company.
That would be Franz Von Holzhausen. He designed the Solstice and in February 2005 moved on to work for Mazda. He is now the inspirational leader of the Trolls.

http://www.dexigner.com/product/news-g3952.html

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Seeing a lot of inside jokes in a serious thread not in off topic. :smash: Reminder to stay on topic please

·
2,574 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
Our minds do tend to wander from time to time. 80% is a good number for US parts.
Will be curious to see if the % changes with Franz, but bottom line, it would be great, now that they have him, if they give him his head. Love to see him hit another homerun. The M guys may score runs but too often it's on singles and walks. And if he doesn't they may spend some seasons playing in the Euro/Asian Leagues! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts