Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner waxed a lot. And got wax and polishing compound all over the OnStar antenna, rear diffuser etc.

I used to use a product called "Black again" which was OK but only seemed to hide the wax and polish marks.

What do you guys use now? What works?

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I have used both of these:

Griot’s Garage Dried-On Wax Remover
McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

The McKee's seems to work a little better on really old wax, emphasis on "little".

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Check to see if your town has a local Painter Supply store (or something similar), or your local NAPA. They supply local body shops w/products, but they are also open to the public.
Painters Supply

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser
or a slightly damp green scrubby

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Respectfully I balk at scotchbrite pads...the 3M products and Magic Eraser are much more attractive solutions

Thanks gents

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Magic Eraser works "good" - I've found nothing that works "great". The liquid 3M that Chop recommended works "good" also.

I've found the best approach is to put a good plastic detailer/sealant on BEFORE you detail the paint. Makes it easier to get the wax off afterward.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Full strength Simple Green works well. Make sure you wear rubber gloves because it will dry your hands out...even though it's "Bio-degradable".

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
You'd be surprised at what a simple eraser like this can do;

White Eraser

If you use one of the pink ones they tend to leave a little residue. If you use the white ones they remove the wax and really don't leave any residue. Sometimes they don't remove everything but I have had really good luck removing wax from places like the rear fascia. Chemicals can sometimes be harsh. I always like to try the eraser first because it doesn't have any negative side effects. If it doesn't work you may need to try simple green or some of the other products mentioned in the other posts.

·
Registered
352 Posts
my wife has a honda element with 2.4, 4 cylinder ( quicker then my solstice) most of it is unpainted textured plastic. they have lots of issues with wax on those pannels. from being on the "elelent site" for years( it's a 2005) the answer is...peanut butter. well thats what they all swear by. I did however buy some of the 3m wax&addhisive remover today at a discount store so i can get all the tire goo off the inner fender wells&flood maps. my solstice rear panel did have a lot of wax buildup on it wen I get it.I bought some rainex dry wash spray or something lik that.Ive used it about 4 times now after some good pollen baths & a short drive or 2. and I think it is removing that wax buildup or possiably making it clear again. it's slicker than snot seems to work good for pollen removal when washing aint gonna happen( like around midnight) and I need to get the cover on. so other than peanut butter that seems to work on mine( I have not tried peanutbutter)

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I've tried that a couple of times. It appears to "wet" the wax rather than actually remove it. The wax always turned chalky and became visible again after a couple of weeks.
Looks like we have come full circle to the OP's original question.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No outstanding success so far. Found a product that was supposed to work...again kinda sort did. Careful use of mineral spirits worked great on the antenna base though.

My big areas are the rear valance, the rubber weatherstrip on the doors, and the onstar antenna. And the previous owner did...something...to the valance, used some product or other to clean it. I scrubbed and cleaned and rinsed and worked it. Mostly good but there's areas that are dull, and when I rub my thumbnail on it, the are gets bigger, like something is chipping off. Did he paint the damned thing?? Might just find a better one.

Peanut butter eh? I've done crazier things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts