Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
The hail blanket is good protection for pea size or slightly larger it has a layer of rubber like energy absorbent material seen into it. For protection against baseball size hail I have blow up air mattresses that go under the cover

You need "collector car" agreed value insurance. I have it on my car at $70k and on the Dragon at $25k. They will pay for repairs up to that value and not total it

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
We need some sort of ablative armor system. Or, just ditch the steel body and go CF or fiberglass. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Finally got word back from my insurer ... If I keep the car, they pay out $5,266. If I let them keep it, they pay out $7,633.

I think I can get it repaired for a lot less than $5,266, but it will have a salvage title until I can get it repaired and then inspected by the DMV.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
There was a really nice GXP listed on the Facebook group the other day for $7200. Braces, tuned, something like 50k miles.

—-

2007, 53k Miles, Manual!

Replaced HPFP (zzp higher flow pump) and waterpump since I purchased it in 2017. DDM tunnel brace, venom brace, short shifter and cai/charge tubes installed. Hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Solo catless downpipe. Custom hptuner tune (91/e85) and Trifecta (91/e47/e85). Car has been great but I picked up a low mileage Z06 and need to get rid of this, only issue is the bypassed heater core (gave up on bleeding it, poor design) since then temps never get above 192 or so in Vegas summer's. Car is garage kept, price is firm. Happy to take anyone out for a ride, but test drivers must be serious. Feel free to ask any questions, I strive to be transparent! (Will add more pictures tomorrow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I know I'm late to this party, can I ask a couple of questions?

Did the hail damage the top? The windshield?

Instead of paying someone to remove the dents, would it be less expensive to just replace the hood and deck lid?

The cost of removing (or living with) the dents on the quarter panels alone may be affordable.

And there's always this place for spare parts: https://www.redlineautoparts.com/pontiac-solstice-saturn-sky/

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah, I thought about just replacing parts. Top is fine. Hood and trunk lid (or bonnet and boot lid, for my British friends) are the worst hit. I've found black parts, but no silver yet. Definitely keeping that open as an option.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I PM’d it to you earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Another fun fact, while you're thinking on this one:

In Texas, you don't have to report hail and get a salvage title.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I looked at the insurance settlement again and noticed that they had all the options unchecked on my Sol. Notified them and they made adjustments and have now offered me $8984 ... that's more than I paid for it back in October! After a $250 deductible, that would $8734. The "keep it" payout would be $6366.

Thought about taking the payout and getting another, but I'm keeping it. Now I just need to locate a hood and deck lid and then have my PDR company take care of the rest.

Between this payout and more for 2 of my other vehicles, I'll have plenty for repairs, extras, deductible for the roof and then some.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lots of NOS deck lids in Michigan, but they're $250 and shipping starts at $100 for the crate and all that jazz.

Plus they don't have any of the weatherstripping and may or may not have the spoiler/antenna holes you need.

In the long run, you're probably better off finding something local that's more ready to bolt on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
My dad's got a dark gray lid for sale in TN, however you're probably better off buying one of the new ones that were previously mentioned since you can probably get one already painted your cool silver color (the fastest color).

If interested in my dad's then feel free to email him (Darryl) at [email protected].

41 - 60 of 81 Posts