Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Curse you, Texas weather!

6K views 80 replies 17 participants last post by  al_c 
#1 ·
Rain was in the forecast. Golf ball sized hail was not. Dang it!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
That sucks, man. Sorry. Mine got caught in softball-sized hail in 2016. It was not fun.

#9 ·
Could be worse. My hood and quarterpanel had chunks of paint the size of my fist knocked off. PDR doesn't work so well when there's no P left.

#37 ·
Hey Rob, do you feel the car cover would protect the car from the type of hail we get here in Colorado? I park outside currently so about twenty times this past year I had to move my car under my neighbors carport for like 20 minutes, I’d love a car cover that would provide the same protection

#22 ·
In the case of this thread, it seems that the car was not at home when the storm arrived, and when it is at home it has a garage to live in.

I agree that I would not put it on the car a every stop, but I would consider carrying it during storm season so that I had it available if a storm blew in.

There were storms in the long-range forecast prior to the 2017 NASSAM, and I know that several people brought these covers with them in case the weather got really bad.

Seeing the damage to that car is really depressing. I hope the repairs are successful.

For tail lights you should contact Hoosier GXP.

#29 ·
Can't find a pair but if you go on Cleveland Craigslist Auto Parts (Pontiac Solstice )there is a guy who has a drivers side used but in nice condition 40 bucks .I was going to pick it up as a spare but you need it more than me . If he won't ship I'll see what I can do to help you out it's about a 1/2 hr . to 45 min. drive from the homestead . :grin:

#33 ·
Had it happen to me about 5 years ago - looked like someone took a ballpeen hammer to it, more than 100 dents. The only remaining blemish is on the windshield surround. Took advantage of the situation to have the car repainted white, and I love it.

#38 ·
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! :crying: If it were me before I did anything with the insurance company I would get an estimate maybe a couple from the paintless dent removal companies I've used these guys on the Solstice and Chevelle and was really impressed .The insurance company is going to give you blue book value unless you have an agreed price policy which we know is not worth what a car in good condition is especially if you like the car .Any other parts are out there it's just a matter of finding them and I'm sure if you put a list of wants on the forum you have a country full of enthusiasts here to help you . GOOD LUCK !

#35 · (Edited)
Having been through this, in Texas, two years ago, I'd say:

Let them have it, buy another one. Good examples pop up surprisingly frequently. Rebuilding a hail car can be fun and educational, but it'll never be quite right unless you're willing to spend $$$$.

If it was a GXP, I'd say it would be worth parting out, or storing as a parts car if you have the space.

Take the check, throw in another couple of grand, and get a GXP or whatever your heart desires. Sucks, but... such is life.

I rebuilt my car, after this happened:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/members/raygun-albums-hail-damage.html

Now I'm trying to find someone to take it off of my hands at a steep discount. Bought a GXP last year, and it is a very different and far better car. It's not just the extra horsepower (which is substantial, but still not really 'Vette or SS levels).

Could've bought a Corvette but I didn't want to get on Rob's bad side.

#40 · (Edited)
Wylie, TX. June 11 2016.

Fast forward to about 5mins and then wait for it. This video shows some of the smaller hail. (One of my neighbors' house.)

Softball-sized hail. We had three cars totaled, including a fairly new, not-cheap 4Runner. Roof completely destroyed - we had hail on the kitchen floor that went through the roof, stuff in the attic, and the ceiling. Literally every window in the house busted out, fence destroyed, craters in the backyard, and I got a nice concussion. It took over a year before most of the houses in the neighborhood were repaired.

It was not fun.

#41 ·
The hail blanket is good protection for pea size or slightly larger it has a layer of rubber like energy absorbent material seen into it. For protection against baseball size hail I have blow up air mattresses that go under the cover

You need "collector car" agreed value insurance. I have it on my car at $70k and on the Dragon at $25k. They will pay for repairs up to that value and not total it

#42 ·
We need some sort of ablative armor system. Or, just ditch the steel body and go CF or fiberglass. :D

#44 ·
Finally got word back from my insurer ... If I keep the car, they pay out $5,266. If I let them keep it, they pay out $7,633.

I think I can get it repaired for a lot less than $5,266, but it will have a salvage title until I can get it repaired and then inspected by the DMV.

#45 ·
There was a really nice GXP listed on the Facebook group the other day for $7200. Braces, tuned, something like 50k miles.

—-

2007, 53k Miles, Manual!

Replaced HPFP (zzp higher flow pump) and waterpump since I purchased it in 2017. DDM tunnel brace, venom brace, short shifter and cai/charge tubes installed. Hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Solo catless downpipe. Custom hptuner tune (91/e85) and Trifecta (91/e47/e85). Car has been great but I picked up a low mileage Z06 and need to get rid of this, only issue is the bypassed heater core (gave up on bleeding it, poor design) since then temps never get above 192 or so in Vegas summer's. Car is garage kept, price is firm. Happy to take anyone out for a ride, but test drivers must be serious. Feel free to ask any questions, I strive to be transparent! (Will add more pictures tomorrow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#46 ·
I know I'm late to this party, can I ask a couple of questions?

Did the hail damage the top? The windshield?

Instead of paying someone to remove the dents, would it be less expensive to just replace the hood and deck lid?

The cost of removing (or living with) the dents on the quarter panels alone may be affordable.

And there's always this place for spare parts: https://www.redlineautoparts.com/pontiac-solstice-saturn-sky/

#47 ·
Yeah, I thought about just replacing parts. Top is fine. Hood and trunk lid (or bonnet and boot lid, for my British friends) are the worst hit. I've found black parts, but no silver yet. Definitely keeping that open as an option.

#49 ·
I PM’d it to you earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 ·
Another fun fact, while you're thinking on this one:

In Texas, you don't have to report hail and get a salvage title.

#57 ·
I looked at the insurance settlement again and noticed that they had all the options unchecked on my Sol. Notified them and they made adjustments and have now offered me $8984 ... that's more than I paid for it back in October! After a $250 deductible, that would $8734. The "keep it" payout would be $6366.

Thought about taking the payout and getting another, but I'm keeping it. Now I just need to locate a hood and deck lid and then have my PDR company take care of the rest.

Between this payout and more for 2 of my other vehicles, I'll have plenty for repairs, extras, deductible for the roof and then some.

Wish me luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.