Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I have mentioned on the 'other' forum, I have been working on a microcontroller-based custom boost gauge for my Solstice to replace the Passenger Seatbelt/Airbag Warning Light display in the dash. It's finally FINISHED and working, and I wanted to show a couple of pics and link to videos showing it in operation.

First, I should note here that although this circuit and code will work fine on a Sky, it's designed physically to (just!) fit in the available space behind the boomerang of a Solstice. I have no idea if it would fit in the Sky's dash - but probably not. :(

I have posted a much more detailed thread showing the stages of development & photos over on the kappaperformance forum (Solstice Custom Boost Gauge - show and tell) So, rather than reproduce that here, this is just a summary, If you are interested, please go over there for more detail. :)

From a feature perspective, this is the list of the requirements for what I was attempting:

• Microcontroller-based LED Boost Gauge to fit in the same location as the existing (and much-hated) Passenger Seatbelt/Airbag Warning Light display, incorporating (but geographically compressing) those same warning lights.
  • Reusing the signal from one of the existing LNF MAP sensors, buffered via an OpAmp to ensure it won't affect regular ECM operation. This avoids having to buy, plumb-in and install yet another boost sensor. I did make sure to have pins available on the board for ground and 5V though, so I could add a third sensor later, in case I did have troubles piggybacking off the factory MAP.
  • Providing as many boost LEDs as I could within the limitations of the microcontroller pins, showing both negative AND positive pressures. I ended up with -12 to +24 boost display (max available from GMPP tune) with 3 LEDs of negative = -4 PSI per LED, and 18 LEDs for positive = +1.33 PSI/LED. These ranges could be easily changed in the software to be either higher or lower though.
  • Have a "Peak Hold" feature to keep the highest-boost LED lit for four seconds after a peak. Selectable, on or off, by a jumper on the board.
  • Utilise the same Passenger Seatbelt/Airbag Warning Light connector to both power the device as well as light those warning LEDs
  • Utilise the dashboard backlight power to both illuminate the gauge backlights and also to trigger the micro to dim the boost gauge LED display at night (with adjustable levels via the dimmer knob).
  • Include an ISP (In-System Programming) jumper to allow future in-car re-programming of the micro, in case I had to change anything or modify parameters.

I did everything for this from scratch, including design, code and programming the micro, PCB layout and etch, drilling holes, mounting components, cosmetics (display), wiring in the car and installation. If you really want to, you can do this yourself and I will be glad to help. I can give you component lists, PCB layouts, code for the micro, etc. But even so, there's a LOT of work involved in this (see the other forum thread) and it's a lot to take on. I did it more from the hobby perspective (and to say "I DID IT") so that may not work for you. Another downside is that I cannabalised the existing Warning light assembly for the shell, the connector and some of the LEDs. No going back!

OK, so on to some pictures...

Here's the finished circuit board, ready to mount:

... and from the back, sitting in-place in the boomerang. Note that it JUST fits!

... and this is it, installed, ready to go:

Here's a couple of vids showing normal operation. Note I was getting on and off the gas to show both positive and negative swings and the responsiveness:

So that's it. Hope it was, at least, a little entertaining!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I am in awe of your talent!
I guess wanting to be like you when I grow up is out of the question seeing as how I'm 59 already.
TSoup, all I can say is WOW! :beer:

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
well done!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I want it!!! how much and when can i get one?

·
Registered
311 Posts
WOW!!! Very impressive!

I'd be interested in one if you decide to manufacture and sell these.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Looks fantastic!! Best conversion ever for that irritating airbag warning!! :dthumbs:

If I only had the know-how.....:bow:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sweet! Nicely done. I wish I had the know- how to do this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you use a pic microcontroller,I have seen some projects like that myself.I also played around with pic microprocessors,kinda of reminds me of some of the ones I have see on the microchip forum.Anyways great job ,love it will you be sharing the code as well.LOL

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't look like too many parts here a few diodes,maybe an op amp and a microprocessor ,a few caps and resistors..Nice layout as well,you must be pretty good at this sort of stuff,I was actually looking at using a LCD screen to show a bar graph ,your concept is much better.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, not a PIC, but an Atmel AVR micro, programmed in assembler. I have no problem sharing the code, but that was the easy part :). The physical construction was the hard bit!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Custom boost Gauge

All I can say is that you did a great job,like your design better than my concept.Looks very professional,I am sure people here will want you to build them the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice job. How did you determine the CAN bus message?

Nice job with the boost indicator.

I use PICs all the time - written in C. In your project, did you come across any descriptions of the GMLAN protocol? I'm interested in interfacing the CAN to a PIC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts