Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need a custom tune for a Werks WR-4 turbo I'm in the process of installing (Borg Warner 7163). I currently have the Trifecta "budget" tune, and had hoped to upgrade to a custom Trifecta tune. I contacted Trifecta and was told that Trifecta does not support the 7163. Pretty bummed out about this because they typically just charge the difference between your existing tune and the custom tune, but now I have to start over.

So I guess Trifecta is out, which leaves Werks and DDM (does DDM still do custom tunes?)
I know some have used HP Tuners, but that looks like too big of a learning curve for me to undertake and I don't know of any local shops with a good reputation that I would trust.
Can anyone recommend a good tuner in San Antonio, TX?
Or other options for a remote tune?

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
Call me crazy, but wouldn't a Werks tune be the first choice to go with a Werks turbo kit?

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call me crazy, but wouldn't a Werks tune be the first choice to go with a Werks turbo kit?
Seems like a no brainer, right?
But in reality, the kit is just a BW 7163, a Tial wastegate, and a high flow cat (which could all be purchased through a number of different vendors.) Its not as if Werks designed the turbo. I also have a DDM cai and charge pipes, so I actually have more DDM branded gear than Werks. Just hoping to get a recommendation for a quality tune at a decent price. Since Trifecta is out, my next preference would be to get it done locally, but there are no local tuners that I know of with experience with the Kappa platform.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used Matt at ZZP.
I had forgotten about ZZP. I'll add them to list list of options. How was it dealing with them- were they responsive? One of the reasons I'd want to do it locally is that I fear after the first tune (after they've been paid), the tuner may be less responsive to questions/ tuning adjustments. I could see it taking a loooong time to get my car dialed in where I want it.

At least you didn't call me crazy!
lol

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Dave from PAW is the only one that I'd trust for a tune. He responds lightning fast with a new tune after reviewing datalogs. He knows what he's doing. He doesnt just sell components for our cars, he's raced them and supported plenty of racers as well.

I had trifecta and moved to HP tuners from Dave after my new engine.

Edit - I just read your last response. Dave will NOT send you a tune and then ignore you. He's made at least 6 changes to mine (I've had troublesome issues) and responds quickly ALWAYS.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
Isn't "no brainer" worse? I mean "crazy" indicates a brain that doesn't function normally, but at least it's PRESENT! lol
Hmmm. I thought "no-brainer" referred to my statement. Are you saying that he was referring to me?
I might have to get offended, but first I'll have to figure out if I have been insulted, and then who is doing it!

Meanwhile I am dragging this thread totally off topic. My apologies.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
I will also go with Werks for the tune, and it is NOT a normal BW 7163 but a modified turbo from them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will also go with Werks for the tune, and it is NOT a normal BW 7163 but a modified turbo from them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the case is modified to fit the stock intake manifold right? Same turbo internals from what I understand, so it could be tuned just like any other 7163.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the case is modified to fit the stock intake manifold right? Same turbo internals from what I understand, so it could be tuned just like any other 7163.
The difference is that the Werks uses the external wastegate. Matt responds every day except weekends. He also will do additional tunes (configuration changes) for $40. I had him do the 6758 initially. Then the 7163 with opel injectors and upgraded HPFP, then the stock turbo on E54 and meth. I'm sure either will be fine but it is Dave's setup and he has more experience with it.

Paul

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
My car is dyno tuned by ZZP. Loved how helpful and knowledgable the entire staff...especially Matt....were.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Any good local tuner especially one that works on foreign cars should be able to help you .When I did my initial build ,before the turbo kit , I had a local tuner give me a tune . Gave him all the info on my mods / car , plugged it into his computer and did the tune .If you don't feel comfortable going this route I would give Dave at PAW a call he's good at what he does and knows the parameters of your set up .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those of you who have a custom tune by Werks or ZZP, did you have to pay for the tune AND buy/rent the HP tuner interface and multiple credits? Or is the HP tune just an option they have in addition to other tunes? Can't seem to get an answer just by looking at their websites.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I live in the 'D', so I drove over to have my car tuned. I got, at the time, a great deal. Now you can get the same deal. It's $200 to have a dyno tune done at their facility in Grand Rapids.

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
It is as you say no longer a T4 case, so it is different from an OEM BW7163, so either Dave from PAW or ZZP since they also make the same changes to the ones they sell for the Kappas.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Check with Evan Smith ESTUNED Home I think he splits his time between Tucson and San Antonio. He uses a road-based dyno system and will make at least half a dozen WOT pulls to make sure you are getting max safe power from your engine as well as excellent driveability. Not cheap, about 4 hours and $400.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts