Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By holding a marketing ploy to generate interest in the vehicle, GM underestimated the sales they already had in their pocket.

As far as I can see, there was no use at all for the log in last night. The information we entered had no part in the process today, other than it was a further disqualification process.

So now GM has 1000 satisfied customers as opposed to how many unhappy possible customers?

From beginning to end I did not deal with anyone who knew the exact process for how this would go down. Even when I talked to the marketing department at Pontiac this morning, they did not know whether the first 1000 was dealer based or internet based.

Its pretty clear at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
The purpose of the website was to get valuable marketing info. Think of all the people that registered. Gives them some great statistics for forecasting.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
sebgib said:
By holding a marketing ploy to generate interest in the vehicle, GM underestimated the sales they already had in their pocket.

As far as I can see, there was no use at all for the log in last night. The information we entered had no part in the process today, other than it was a further disqualification process.

So now GM has 1000 satisfied customers as opposed to how many unhappy possible customers?

From beginning to end I did not deal with anyone who knew the exact process for how this would go down. Even when I talked to the marketing department at Pontiac this morning, they did not know whether the first 1000 was dealer based or internet based.

Its pretty clear at this point.
Having prospective buyers log in and register last night was a absolute must, how can you believe it was of little use. It presented the whole concept behind the program and laid out the rules. It was a prequalifier of eligibility. It captured a tremendous amount of infomation for Pontiac. And the infomation prefilled all the fields for todays order generation proccess saving tons of time and insuring total accuraccy.

And regardless of what was done, Pontiac was only going to be able to satisfy 1,000 people with the first 1,000 Solstices built. That hasn't changed.

And you keep posting you talked to the "marketing department", all you could have got was customer assistance call centers. They should have had access to the same infomation the dealers did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small Dealer said:
Having prospective buyers log in and register last night was a absolute must, how can you believe it was of little use. It presented the whole concept behind the program and laid out the rules. It was a prequalifier of eligibility. It captured a tremendous amount of infomation for Pontiac. And the infomation prefilled all the fields for todays order generation proccess saving tons of time and insuring total accuraccy.

And regardless of what was done, Pontiac was only going to be able to satisfy 1,000 people with the first 1,000 Solstices built. That hasn't changed.

And you keep posting you talked to the "marketing department", all you could have got was customer assistance call centers. They should have had access to the same infomation the dealers did.

And the information that the dealers knew was what exactly?

To my knowledge, according to Pontiacs telephone system, it connects you with marketing? So one would believe it would indeed be marketing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
GM should of be perpared for the server hit. That ticks me off and makes me pretty dissapointed.

Dealers still couldnt grasp the concept of what the EOP really was. I explained to them, but they didnt believe me until they got 0 of 5 EOP cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billabongi said:
GM should of be perpared for the server hit. That ticks me off and makes me pretty dissapointed.

Dealers still couldnt grasp the concept of what the EOP really was. I explained to them, but they didnt believe me until they got 0 of 5 EOP cars.

LOL

I know, even our dealer was telling me that they were guaranteed 5 cars. But if you read the dealer package it says 5 cars (maximum), it does not say minimum or a guarantee.

which is the point of my question, Is this internet based, or dealer based?

they are both opposite ends of the spectrum.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Second and only other applicant at where I was was a supplier and even if he got on wait list he would end up not EOP but regular.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
sebgib said:
It says that the other potential buyer was a GM Supplier and ineligible to place an EOP order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
GM screwed this whole thing up. For people who were waiting for this car for 2 or 3 years having deposits down for 3 or more months and not getting one is really a crock of s__t. I myself have been buying GM products since 57. Guess what never again. I will go out tomorrow and buy a s2000. GM will never get my money again.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
gtwhite said:
GM screwed this whole thing up. For people who were waiting for this car for 2 or 3 years having deposits down for 3 or more months and not getting one is really a crock of s__t. I myself have been buying GM products since 57. Guess what never again. I will go out tomorrow and buy a s2000. GM will never get my money again.
How did GM screw it up in your example? The dealer assumed that a normal ordering policy would be in place. Dealer accepted the deposit. The first word from GM about Solstice ordering on March 4th was this program. And even if this program didn't exsist, the 3 year waiting/3 months deposit buyer still wasn't guaranteed to get one of the first 1,000. If they were at the top of the dealer list, then they would get the first car the dealer got. Today if they didn't get an EOP car, then they are still at the top of the dealer's list and still going to get the first car the dealer gets. All today was about was a dash plaque, a toy, and a piece of paper. There are still 17,000 other fish in the sea to catch. Do you want to give up 47 years of trust in GM because of unmanaged expectations by the dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I'm talking about this apprentice crap to begin with. And how are the dealers suppose to get in when the servers go down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small Dealer said:
How did GM screw it up in your example? The dealer assumed that a normal ordering policy would be in place. Dealer accepted the deposit. The first word from GM about Solstice ordering on March 4th was this program. And even if this program didn't exsist, the 3 year waiting/3 months deposit buyer still wasn't guaranteed to get one of the first 1,000. If they were at the top of the dealer list, then they would get the first car the dealer got. Today if they didn't get an EOP car, then they are still at the top of the dealer's list and still going to get the first car the dealer gets. All today was about was a dash plaque, a toy, and a piece of paper. There are still 17,000 other fish in the sea to catch. Do you want to give up 47 years of trust in GM because of unmanaged expectations by the dealer?


ya know what. maybe he needs to vent and you need to just step off. go sell your opinion elsewhere, some of us here are a little let down still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
The only thing GM is guilty of is underestimating the load on the servers. The other problems members faced regarding dealers are just that, dealers faults, and to a lesser extent OUR faults for not educating our dealers.

Mine was not up to speed as I was, but did have the knowledge early yesterday morning to notify me that I could not order because my dad worked for GM.

GM didn't do anything wrong except build us (and North America) a car that the people want. They got this right, and people still bitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
gtwhite said:
GM screwed this whole thing up. For people who were waiting for this car for 2 or 3 years having deposits down for 3 or more months and not getting one is really a crock of s__t. I myself have been buying GM products since 57. Guess what never again. I will go out tomorrow and buy a s2000. GM will never get my money again.
This seems to be a point of view shared by more than a few here. Sould I point out that you can still buy a Solstice? Was the First 1000 production ever represented as anything other than a "gold rush" ordering system? With reports coming out now that the First 1000 probably won't be delivered until sometime near October, would you fell better if yoy got your non-First 1000 before then?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Small Dealer said:
It says that the other potential buyer was a GM Supplier and ineligible to place an EOP order.
Well, they could attempt to place the order but if they got in after I left it would be for waiting list. Nothing up until now would weed out any unqualified suppliers or employees. That process comes next, and I would not be surprised if they find a ton.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Josh said:
The only thing GM is guilty of is underestimating the load on the servers. The other problems members faced regarding dealers are just that, dealers faults, and to a lesser extent OUR faults for not educating our dealers.

Mine was not up to speed as I was, but did have the knowledge early yesterday morning to notify me that I could not order because my dad worked for GM.

GM didn't do anything wrong except build us (and North America) a car that the people want. They got this right, and people still bitch.
DOes anyone know for sure that ordering did not start earlier than posted? There was a claim of a verification BEFORE 2:00 PM somewhere on the east coast. And if the servers were down so continually how did some dealers get 6 or 7 entries submitted, when it took over 40 minutes to do one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
achieftain,

My dealer let me work the computer and I was checking the site since 1:15 pm EDT. It had a message saying that the system was not open yet. I saw the next screen at 1:58 pm EDT. (This was the screen where you put the salesman name in). I didn't get past this screen until about 2:20 pm EDT and couldn't get to the actual order system until about 2:32. My order went through at 2:34 and I placed a second order for the dealer at 2:37. The sales manager was working on another machine and got two more orders placed. The servers were timing out in the beginning, but once I got to the order screen at 2:32 it went smoothly and I could just keep clicking to the next screens no problem, so I agree with the idea that GM rebooted the server or "fixed" something so it just started working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
achieftain said:
DOes anyone know for sure that ordering did not start earlier than posted? There was a claim of a verification BEFORE 2:00 PM somewhere on the east coast. And if the servers were down so continually how did some dealers get 6 or 7 entries submitted, when it took over 40 minutes to do one.
I sat w/ my cell phone out (for time purposes,) starting at 1:45 EDT, and kept refreshing my screen as soon as it loaded. At appx. 2:02 Nextel time EDT, it went live at my location, and I am on a direct internet connetion (no-dial up.)

I believe the person that was in earlier was referring to EST, which IS different then EDT.

All that can really be done now, other than compain, etc., and believe me, I've already vented to the EOP HotLine about this fiasco, is wait. The verification wil be done over the next 2 days.

I called the Hotline this morning @ 8:30, and they said that they were confirming eligibility today and tomorrow. Monday, the weeding out should be complete. She did say that they have already weeded out a few, but it doesn't look like more than 4-5% will be dropped. SO, using math, if there are 4000 waitlisted as of yesterday afternoon, (before 5pm. Michigan Time, when the letter was posted,) I would say (completely my guess, nobody elses',) that if you got waitlisted before 3pm EDT, or Michigan time, you still have a decent shot. This is worse than waiting to unwrap the Red Ryder BB Gun on Xmas morning, but it's only another day.

To those of you who got in, congrats. To those who didn't, don't give up until Monday.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top