Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=208758
This is from an English magazine. Do they still sell Daewoo in USA? Didn't they fold their tents a couple of years ago, just before Isusu stopped selling cars here?

Daewoo is planning its first-ever open-top two-seater for launch in early 2007. said:
Daewoo is planning its first-ever open-top two-seater for launch in early 2007. The sportscar is a Daewoo-designed version of GM’s new rear-drive Kappa platform, which will be the basis of a family of exciting sports cars. Pontiac will get the first model, the Solstice, on sale in the US in late 2006.

GM-Daewoo boss Nick Reilly is personally championing the Daewoo sports car, which he wants as a halo car to boost Daewoo’s image. He hinted at the idea of an image car at the Geneva show, but didn’t reveal the sports-car plan.

Power for the Daewoo two-seater is likely to come from the same 170bhp, 2.4-litre four-cylinder Ecotec engine planned for the Solstice, driving the rear wheels through a five-speed manual ’box.

In the more immediate future, Daewoo will be showing off two UK debuts at Motor Show Live: the Giugiaro-styled Lacetti Sport and the new Nubira Station Wagon (right). Powered by a modest 120bhp 1.8-litre engine, the Lacetti Sport will be a warm performance model. The Nubira Station Wagon shares a similar look, but will only be available with 1.6-litre power. Both go on UK sale in October.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'll believe that when I see it. Pretty hard-hitting reporting, huh? Did you notice the same article says the Solstice will be available in late 2006?

·
Registered
151 Posts
great, now every car maker is going to come out with a roadster :rolleyes

we'll just hope not, because the world doesn't need another 20,000 concept roadster.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Looks like GM may have decided that a Kappa roadster will be sold in Europe afterall, or at least the UK, and it will be badged a Daewoo. No big deal to me really. Is an American designed car with a GM corporate Ecotec engine built in Deleware in anyway really a Korean Daewoo? Nah. Its a re-badged Solstice for export markets. Since Daewoo is not sold on this side of the pond anymore (As Daewoo anyway, they are showing up as Chevy Aveo's and Suzuki Verona's) its not a big deal to me. I wonder what it will look like?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:lol: :glol: :rolleyes: :cryin: :glol: :lol: :glol: :lol: :glol:

I couldn't find a date... just a moment...

:glol:

There, had to wipe the tears from my eyes, LOL!

I couldn't find a date on the article. Are we sure this isn't an April Fool's joke? Remember, gminsidenews became FordInsideNews for a day...

Has the world gone Kappa Krazy!?! Next there will be (lame attempt at guessing names in parens):

A Lotus Kappa (Chapman Special K?)
An Opel Kappa (Blitz?)
A Saab Kappa (9-3R?)
A Holden Kappa (Blimey!)
Followed by:
A GM Shanghai Kappa (Dao?)
A Fiat Kappa (Guiglioberlinoletta?)
The new Hummer H4R Kappa
two Cadillac Kappas (DHR/FHR [drop-head and fixed-head roadster)
another Saturn Kappa (simply named the "Saturn R")
a Chevy Kappa (Corvettette, or maybe even the Chevetto?)
Don't forget the Buick Kappa (not even going there).
and the affiliated:
Toyota Kappa (Earthquake?)
Isuzu Kappa (Squirt?)

Maybe honda and BMW will even start buying them from GM and re-bagding...

·
Registered
151 Posts
the sad thing is that the "Saturn R", would probobly be the best name for theirs anyway.

personal opinion though. i think it would give it a more serious sound than the Saturn "Curve"

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman said:
There, had to wipe the tears from my eyes, LOL!

I couldn't find a date on the article. Are we sure this isn't an April Fool's joke? Remember, gminsidenews became FordInsideNews for a day...

Has the world gone Kappa Krazy!?! Next there will be (lame attempt at guessing names in parens):

A Lotus Kappa (Chapman Special?)
An Opel Kappa (Blitz?)
A Saab Kappa (9-3R?)
A Holden Kappa (Blimey!)
Followed by:
A GM Shanghai Kappa (Dao?)
A Fiat Kappa (Guiglioberlinoletta?)
The new Hummer H4R Kappa
two Cadillac Kappas (DHR/FHR [drop-head and fixed-head roadster)
another Saturn Kappa (simply named the "Saturn R")
a Chevy Kappa (Corvettette, or maybe even the Chevetto?)
Don't forget the Buick Kappa (not even going there).
and the affiliated:
Toyota Kappa (Earthquake?)
Isuzu Kappa (Squirt?)

Maybe honda and BMW will even start buying them from GM and re-bagding...
Very entertaining ! I'm holding out for the Hummer H4R Kappa! Thanks Solsticeman :yesnod

·
Registered
281 Posts
mceb said:
LOL...especially a Daewoo...when them it might be A 15K roadster :smash

dont count out the koreans. they have nowhere to go but up. they are already starting tp nip at the heels of the japanese automakers. after they rise to the level of everyone else, look for the chinese to come to our market.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Au contraire! My Hyundai Tiburon GT6 was made in Korea and it is the nicest, sweetest little sports car I have ever had! I love it. It's a 2003 (which I actually managed to get in April 2002). It is a six speed and has all the "bells and whistles." Great! Don't sell the Koreans short.

·
Registered
151 Posts
manxpilot said:
Au contraire! My Hyundai Tiburon GT6 was made in Korea and it is the nicest, sweetest little sports car I have ever had! I love it. It's a 2003 (which I actually managed to get in April 2002). It is a six speed and has all the "bells and whistles." Great! Don't sell the Koreans short.

i had one too, and loved every little part of it (not including the wear on the drivers side leather from getting in and out of such a low car) and the build quality was great aside from that. saying a korean car is a bad car is ignorant. they were tied with honda for reliability last year second only to toyota (hyundai)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bizz said:
dont count out the koreans. they have nowhere to go but up. they are already starting tp nip at the heels of the japanese automakers. after they rise to the level of everyone else, look for the chinese to come to our market.
:agree
The Koreans have made great strides in quality and reliability. They'er motivated and want to be a world contender. It also helps that many Korean cars get their engineering and components from Japanese sources.

I also agree that it won't be long before we see Chinese made cars here. They to are motivated to become world class and the rest of the world is helping them as fast as they can. We Americans love great values at Costco and Wal Mart and Chinese cars are just an extesion of that.

I'd love to see people driving more American cars, but the truth is we can only afford to make high profit margin or nitch cars here. The high volume low cost cars have to go to places like Korea and China. Even cars like the Ford Focus is made in Mexico. The Europeans are in the same boat as us. It costs alot to make cars in the US or Europe.

I'm excited though, The Solstice is the first new American car I've had in years! :cheers

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember reading at least two years ago that Mercedes had signed an agreement to build a plant in China to manufacture cars for the Asian market. Believe they were going to be the first joint venture company. They should have cars coming of the line any day now, if not already.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Remember reading at least two years ago that Mercedes had signed an agreement to build a plant in China to manufacture cars for the Asian market. Believe they were going to be the first joint venture company. They should have cars coming of the line any day now, if not already.
My understanding is that just about every major car company already does have operations in China, including Porsche. By default I think Mercedes already has operations there. If I recall correctly, Chrysler started a plant there to make Jeeps many years ago, so I'm assuming they still do. I might be wrong, maybe someone else is more up on on China production.

Can't blame the industry for going there, It has the potential to be by far the biggest car market in the world. The whole world should keep their eye on China, it's going to be a power house.

·
Registered
281 Posts
AeroDave said:
My understanding is that just about every major car company already does have operations in China, including Porsche. By default I think Mercedes already has operations there. If I recall correctly, Chrysler started a plant there to make Jeeps many years ago, so I'm assuming they still do. I might be wrong, maybe someone else is more up on on China production.

Can't blame the industry for going there, It has the potential to be by far the biggest car market in the world. The whole world should keep their eye on China, it's going to be a power house.
china will replace us as the dominant economic/world power. :(

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts