Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car was bought this way. Im assuming that it got damaged from opening and closing the top somehow. What is this piece called and is there anywhere I can buy it? Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
It's the tulip panel flap. This can happen when the actuating cable fails or more likely the clip fails. There are a number of posts on this issue.

It is very easy to swap out for a new one. Call crate engine depot and talk with Tom.

The hinge on the clip side is a friction fit. You can pull down on it and the flap will come out. Disconnect the cable, reverse the process to install the new one

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I had one that was damaged, not nearly as bad as yours are. I went to a Chevy dealer and they wanted $100 for one flap!!! I did a little sanding and repainting and all came out well. I did post an ad to try and buy one but had no responses.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's the tulip panel flap. This can happen when the actuating cable fails or more likely the clip fails. There are a number of posts on this issue.

It is very easy to swap out for a new one. Call crate engine depot and talk with Tom.

The hinge on the clip side is a friction fit. You can pull down on it and the flap will come out. Disconnect the cable, reverse the process to install the new one
so is it the actuating cable or clip that fails? I think I have this problem too. Just seeing if I can do this myself or if a dealer knows how to fix this.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
The clip is at the end of the cable (purple plastic piece in photo below). Take a look at yours to see what's bust.

If it IS the clip, there are suitable pieces available in a mixed blister pack at PepBoys (and probably other auto part places, or even Amazon) - Dorman #75474. Easy to clip on yourself.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks Rob! :thumbs:

After searching through those threads, I think I found my answer in this thread
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/silver-flap-not-flush-top-down-58954/

When I get my car out, I will try and see if this works. It seems like this should do it :yesnod:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I'm bringing the top back up, the flap is getting stuck. That's how mine got damaged. The clip on the driver side is broken the passenger is not.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well the left on the 06 just flopped off yesterday so I'm ordering a tulip flap and some clips. the bracket on the tulip is what broke on mine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Clip on my 06 broke this morning. Ordered some replacements from GMPartsDirect. In the mean time I found a rod clip in my junk jar. Used it for a temp fix. We'll see how long the parts take to get here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As I have also found out, these doors can be damaged if something in the frame is misaligned or broken. My car was purchased a couple of weeks ago with the known problem and the dealer wasn't any help, I did negotiate a drop in price of $500 to fix it myself with your help :). I digress, anyway my thread on the Saturn Sky site is what I mean. The plastic plate at the corner of the top that retains the canvas to the frame is broken. It also has the cables attached to it, these cables pull the canvas taught. When it doesn't, the frame shifts a bit and the tulip door is slow to retract when roof is opened up. The result, a frame striking the door and chipping it. This is another reason for door damage.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Where the top frame slides against the edge of the flap door, I wrapped it with the "soft, fuzzy" part of stick on industrial strength Velcro to hopefully stop any further damage to door edge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The clip is at the end of the cable (purple plastic piece in photo below). Take a look at yours to see what's bust.

Odd. I ordered the replacement bushings and they came in. The one on the drivers side (the one that broke) was red, as are the replacements. But the passenger side, like the one in this photo, are purple. Is there a right/left part # for these?

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
For some reason different lots are different colors. CW can tell us why. Mine are orange but I have seen pruple and red as well.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
For some reason different lots are different colors. CW can tell us why. Mine are orange but I have seen pruple and red as well.
Even I can answer that one, it's cost. The raw material cost is what determines the amount of profit on small, unseen, plastic parts, especially when color doesn't matter. A fair amount of the raw material is recycled trim from other manufactured pieces.

So, where color does not matter to the finished piece, the manufacturer is able to buy the least expensive raw and recycled materials to mix into the final piece.

This sometimes can produce really bizarre colored finished goods.

Now it's time for CW to pitch in . . . :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts