Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been a really warm Fall so far and the Sol has still been going out but we got a couple of inches of lake effect snow on Monday and they salted the roads. The snow is gone and the temps are going to be in the 50's and 60's the next couple of days but I cant take her out cause of the salt on the roads UGH! For all those Southerners that are going to post their "whats snow" replies let me say now that I hate you all LOL.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Its been a really warm Fall so far and the Sol has still been going out but we got a couple of inches of lake effect snow on Monday and they salted the roads. The snow is gone and the temps are going to be in the 50's and 60's the next couple of days but I cant take her out cause of the salt on the roads UGH! For all those Southerns that are going to post their "whats snow" replies let me say now that I hate you all LOL.
What snow? what salt?? Naw just kiddin buddy... Our biggest problem is dump trucks on the highways. They not only spew rocks and pebbles, but also sand particles, which I think is worse than salt or snow... Bundle up amigo,,:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
That's why mine get's stored when I even think it's going to start snowing .I've lived in the Cleveland area most of my life and have seen what this crap does to cars ,when I was still working I would take my daily drivers to a good car wash at least once a week and they still rotted .Now you have the latest in anti ice technology brine which they use to coat the roads before a snow or ice storm it dries to a hard film on the underside of a car and just eats away at all the lines and undercarrige .I did a frame off on a truck I had some years ago that was in really nice shape and I could not believe the corrosion I had once I pulled the cab and trunk bed off .If you want to keep them nice up here you have to store them because "Rust Never Sleeps" with apologies to Neil Young

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Just wondering Rob do they use salt on the roads in Colorado ? I know in some states like Pennsylvania they used a mixture of cinders and sand (don't know if they still do ) .As for the Florida roads almost all that I have been on in the couple of times I have worked there were smooth as glass compared to the crater filled stuff we have here especially in the spring .Maybe not much as far as the scenery goes except for US 1 which runs along the ocean but there are still some nice areas in the state

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I happen to like it down here in Florida. The roads have an average crown IMO. I drive my Solstice all year long. The love bugs don't hurt the paint, I keep my cars waxed. I don't care for boiled peanuts. Rob, you should do a better job of proof reading.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Do you know what we call lake effect snow?

SNOW!

·
Registered
693 Posts
its true we dont have many big roads with corners here in florida.i do drive one back road with a few corners every day on the way to work.hit and killed a big raccoon with my honda,also an armadillo late one night going about 65.sounded like a cannon shot and i had to drive 10 miles before coming to a gas station to check the damage.hondas are tough,the damage consisted of a couple of paint chips on the lower bumper.it happened on one of the corners we dont have in florida and that freakin armadillo ran from one side to the other as i tried to get around him,then back into the middle ...

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
When we first moved to colorado they used lots of samd and salt. Now they use a lot of chemical spray. We dont see a lot of salt in the denver area. On I70 over the mountains they still use sand and salt

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks for bringing up this issue. I was going to buy one of these next spring but it looks like I better order one now while they are still in stock. Or better yet, call Karcher directly on Monday first to check if it is simply being discontinued or will be replaced with a new model.

The chemical road de-icers now in use do not rinse off with just a garden hose nozzle no matter how long you sit there and spray. I wish someone would develop a neutraliser/solvent for the stuff!

For use with Solstice, it looks like one would have to drive their car up on 4 small ramps made out of 12" sections of 2x8's so the washer can clear the chassis:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-2-642-561-0-Pressure-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00717LVGM[/ame]

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Says discontinued but Amazon shows 18 left in stock.

We were the proud recipients of 9 inches of snow last Saturday here in West Michigan. Wife canceled road coverage on the Solstice but I saw the forecast calling for sun and 49 on Wednesday and thought I'd take one last trip to work in it. I figured there was no need to salt the roads since it was going to melt anyway and as long as there was no salt on the roads . . .

But as we rolled out the driveway on Sunday I thought "Well, the first snow of the year, the first chance for road crews to collect overtime, and a month before Christmas they probably will . . ."

Yep. White residue on all the intersections.

Solstice remains garaged for the year now.

Intrigued by the washer though, nj. There are simpler and less expensive devices out there.

Amazon.com: 16" Undercarriage Cleaner, 4000 PSI: Automotive

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
"Necessary evil" might describe this salt, makes the roads safer but eats up the vehicles.
I have to worry about hitting monkeys...
A feral monkey hit and killed by a vehicle in Marion County was believed to have lived in Silver Springs State Park.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Greg Workman said Wednesday that sightings of monkeys in populated areas like Ocala is common.
The monkey was believed to be a rhesus macaque.
That species of monkey was introduced to Silver Springs in 1938 as part of a Jungle Cruise attraction.
The tour operator, Captain Toomey, populated an island in the river with a few monkeys. Eventually, they migrated to the nearby forests and created multiple colonies.
The Ocala Star-Banner reports the monkey was seen running through a parking lot and then later found dead off State Road 200

1 - 11 of 11 Posts