Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while driving to work today the lights on my instrument panel and dash board turned off all of a sudden, the gauges/dic still work but the lighting is gone everywhere except the mirror lights. I checked the fuses under the passenger footwell and they all seem fine, any idea what could be wrong?

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, the main supply to all those lights are common sourced from the BCM, so that must be OK if the gauge lights are working.

Exactly what is out? Steering wheel switches? Door switches? Hazard switch? A/C lights? Other dash switches? They all have different ground points, and I'm thinking a common ground has gone in your case (maybe).

Also, mess with the dimmer switch - turn it, tap it - I really doubt this is the cause (since other lights are lit) but may not hurt to try.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what is out? Steering wheel switches? Door switches? Hazard switch? A/C lights? Other dash switches? They all have different ground points, and I'm thinking a common ground has gone in your case (maybe).
Everything is gone, when i said the gauges work i meant the rpm/tach needles still move but they're not lit up. Checking the dimmer switch is a good idea since it controls the brightness of all the lights that went out, i'll check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My '07 does that now and then. Whoa! Hardly ever drive it at night though. Daytime click the DRLs off and the radio & DIC light up fine... Am thinking (hoping) it may be the battery as it is the original.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck with the dimmer switch, tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and still no lights. At least i'll have a good excuse in case im caught speeding "sorry about that officer but the lights on my speedo are gone, couldn't see how fast i was going".

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just for ****s and giggles, I'd try swapping out the ATM fuses just in case. I don't know how many times I've visually confirmed that a fuse was not blown, only to find that it was not continuous when plugged in, or intermittently connected when plugged in. My guess is some kind of crack that is just so small you can't really see it. Especially with ATM fuses.

If I remember correctly when I had my dimmer switch disconnected, I'm 99% sure if the dimmer switch isn't plugged in, the gauge lights default to full bright.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really sure, i do remember someone telling me my foglights we're flickering when i was doing autocross a few months ago and my right turn signal is still blinking faster than normal even after changing the fuse. But all of the bulbs are fine, perhaps a loose wire somewhere? Don't think this is over.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Not really sure, i do remember someone telling me my foglights we're flickering when i was doing autocross a few months ago and my right turn signal is still blinking faster than normal even after changing the fuse. But all of the bulbs are fine, perhaps a loose wire somewhere? Don't think this is over.
Hmm, that's not good. Good luck with that man. I hope it's not something like rodents and damaged harness wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts