Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of late, I've developed a pretty annoying rattle from the dash. It happens when the concrete roadway has a slight washboard to it. It's not constant, so I'm not 100% sure exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like perhaps the tach/speedo surrounds. Anyone else have this? And if so, how did you find and fix it?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Of late, I've developed a pretty annoying rattle from the dash. It happens when the concrete roadway has a slight washboard to it. It's not constant, so I'm not 100% sure exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like perhaps the tach/speedo surrounds. Anyone else have this? And if so, how did you find and fix it?
I have something similar, but it comes and goes. Mine happens when you hit expansion joints in the roadway. I've never been able to locate it in the nine years I've had the car.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey Old_Sol,

Please let us know if you're able to figure out what's causing your dash to rattle as we can imagine how this may become frustrating. If you decide to take a technician at your dealership for a test drive so they can figure it out for you, we'd be happy to stay involved throughout the process.

Best,
Amber N.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
83 Posts
On my car it was the chrome trim ring around the gages, popped it off and noise went away. It's been off for a year and I just have not made the effort to reinstall but was thinking of some small pieces of felt aroung the perimeter.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Since my subwoofer blew a couple weeks ago, I noticed the GXP has the notorius rattle too. felt around here and there and never located it. replacement woofer arrived today so I think I'll fix it by way of METALLICA!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how do you remove those trim rings? From looking at them they're pretty fragile. Don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
They pull straight out from the dash. Just take your time and you'll get them out with no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Could be the little rubber tips on the inner cluster tunnel. Pull the chrome trim ring off, lower the steering wheel, and pull out the black instrument tunnel. You will see four little spikes on the tunnel piece that should have black rubber tips on them. Some of the rubber tips usually come off accidentally when the tunnel is removed and can cause the tunnel and trim ring to rattle if not replaced. Usually, these rubber pieces disappear into the dash when they come off and can't be found. Buy a piece of clear plastic tubing, about 1/8" or smaller, and push it onto the plastic spikes as far as it will go. Cut off the tubing so that it extends about 1/8" or 3/16" beyond the end of the plastic spikes. This will keep the tunnel from rattling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a Solstice last year. It is a 2006 with 59,000 miles on it. I still love it like I did the day I drove it home. I always liked it but I never realized it was such a magnet for others on the road :)! Anyways, one thing always bothered me and I could never figure out the problem until today! Yes, I have been suffering from the annoying dash rattle! I have combed this forum up and down and still could not find the answer. Today I decided to change my hood support rods because the were too weak to hold. After changing my hood supports my wife comes out and says "Hey, looks like this is loose.." She was pointing at the plastic shroud that is located under wipers. there is a rubber strip that meets the glass of the wind shield. Then it hit me! I went into the house to get a long length of felt. I inserted the felt strip (1" x 3') in between the glass and the rubber that meets the glass.

I took the Solstice on the road along with my wife and BINGO!! The rattle was gone!! It was so misleading because it sounded like it was an interior issue but all along, it was vibrations caused by a loose plastic shroud outside the windshield.

The symptom was constant before I found the issue. at lower speeds there was nothing. when I accelerate above 45mph it would start and suck all the fun out of my drive.

I am posting this in the hope that it helps others with the same problem I had. I was planning on taking the dash apart to investigate but I guess I will just buy the wife a purse or something as a "thank you".

·
Registered
693 Posts
just a tiny bit of clear silicone caulk on the tips of the chrome trim got rid of my rattle,but just a tiny bit is enough because sooner or later you will need to remove the trim...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts