Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have their cars:

Do your dash lights go on when you manually turn on your parking lights or headlights? Or do they only go on in the auto mode setting? In my GMC they light up when any setting is activated, including the fog lights. In the Sol only come on in when the auto function turns on the headlights. Is it only my car or does everyones act the same?????

·
Registered
479 Posts
PAS22 said:

Do your dash lights go on when you manually turn on your parking lights or headlights? Or do they only go on in the auto mode setting? In my GMC they light up when any setting is activated, including the fog lights. In the Sol only come on in when the auto function turns on the headlights. Is it only my car or does everyones act the same?????
Haven't noticed, I leave mine in " auto "

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have not noticed, however I have owned many new gm cars and trucks... Once you over ride the auto it should work everything... You might have the setting real low and are unable to see it in the day... I will check mine when I get home tonight and definatly let you know!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've been leaving mine in auto... figure its the American thing to do. I just wish the auto head lights would remember that I like to have my fogs on too.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I love the auto headlights. The only negative is when I get in my 65 Malibu and forget to turn on the headlights. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
PAS22,
I just read your post so I decided to check my car. I set the light switch to "headlights" BEFORE I inserted the key. As soon an the key was in the ignition, the dash lights came on at a low intensity. That was even before I turned the key to start the car. As soon as the car was started the dash light came up to full intensity. You might want to have your dealer check your lights. Good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Editguy said:
I love the auto headlights. The only negative is when I get in my 65 Malibu and forget to turn on the headlights. :lol:
:agree:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I switch mine to manual every morning at the base gate and the dash lights stay on.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Drex said:
I've been leaving mine in auto... figure its the American thing to do. I just wish the auto head lights would remember that I like to have my fogs on too.
Do you mean DRLs? Day Time Running Lamps and Fog Lamps are in the same cutout in the front fascia. DRLs should be on all the time, but foglights only durring snow or fog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dash lights act the same way. Only light up when headlights are in the auto position. Normally isn't a problem, but in an afternoon rain recently the sky turned dark but not dark enough to trigger the auto headlights. So I turned the headlights on manually and no dash lights!

#285, mysterious, ebony

·
Registered
33 Posts
need a TB to fix this one. Of all cars that I ever owned lets you control the dash lights when you are in a manual mode. This is one big oops.

Agree, this was very frustrating the first time you experience on a dreary day; you think you have a fuse or a control failure... Thanks to the forum it is been ack that we all have the same issue. GM Please get this resolved.

·
5,641 Posts
This is a common design function of some recent GM new models. Dash lights do not work in parade mode (manual lights on-day time). If you want dash lights in the rain and the auto lights do not turn on, just cover the light sensor with something. That is how we check function in shop.

Here is the actual answer from Pontiac from the new model prep guide:

Automatic Headlamp Control
The Solstice is equipped with an Automatic Lamp Control system which automatically turns the headlamps and other exterior lamps on at dusk or when necessary. The exterior lamps can also be operated manually. The I/P backlight is not integrated in the headlamp switch. The automatic lamp control system must determine if it's dark enough to turn I/P backlights on.

The Automatic Lamp Control system's light sensor is located on the top of the instrument panel. It is important to avoid placing any objects on or near the sensor, or covering up the sensor.

Important: In rainy weather, etc., the customer may comment that they manually turned on the headlamps; however, the I/P lights did not come one. It is important to note that the I/P backlight will only turn on when indicated by the Automatic Lamp Control's light sensor. This condition is not related to the headlamp switch function, BCM or I/P function. This is considered a normal condition and no parts should be replaced.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Great info, as always, SD. Don't know what we would do without all the good information our forum dealership people give us! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small Dealer said:
This is a common design function of some recent GM new models. Dash lights do not work in parade mode (manual lights on-day time). If you want dash lights in the rain and the auto light do not turn on, just cover the light sensor with something.

The Solstice is equipped with an Automatic Lamp Control system which automatically turns the headlamps and other exterior lamps on at dusk or when necessary. The exterior lamps can also be operated manually. The I/P backlight is not integrated in the headlamp switch. The automatic lamp control system must determine if it's dark enough to turn I/P backlights on.

The Automatic Lamp Control system's light sensor is located on the top of the instrument panel. It is important to avoid placing any objects on or near the sensor, or covering up the sensor.

Important: In rainy weather, etc., the customer may comment that they manually turned on the headlamps; however, the I/P lights did not come one. It is important to note that the I/P backlight will only turn on when indicated by the Automatic Lamp Control's light sensor. This condition is not related to the headlamp switch function, BCM or I/P function. This is considered a normal condition and no parts should be replaced.
Thanks Small Dealer. This must be a recent change because in the 04 GMC any activation of any of the exterior lights also turns on the dash lights. It is annoying on a cloudy/rainy day not to be able to activate the dash lights but I will simply try covering the sensor and see if they stay on.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Small Dealer said:
This is a common design function of some recent GM new models. Dash lights do not work in parade mode (manual lights on-day time). If you want dash lights in the rain and the auto lights do not turn on, just cover the light sensor with something. That is how we check function in shop.

Too bad this isn't one of the programmable features. Wonder if that's even possible with a BCM reflash? I guess that depends on whether or not the BCM knows you've turned the headlights/parking lamps on manually.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Looks like the aftermarket will have to come up with a color matched sensor cover for cloudy days :willy: :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
RTO said:
My dash lights act the same way. Only light up when headlights are in the auto position. Normally isn't a problem, but in an afternoon rain recently the sky turned dark but not dark enough to trigger the auto headlights. So I turned the headlights on manually and no dash lights!
No need to turn your headlights on manually when it rains, they automatically turn on when the wipers are on for 15 secs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dash light problem occured during a light rain with the wipers on for several minutes. Headlights didn't turn on automatically, so I manually turned them on. Previous GM cars turned the headlight/dash lights on after maybe a minute of wiper usage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
PAS22 said:

My car also does this!! Half the time you can hardly read the dash at all :willy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts