Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm sorta new to the forum. Owned my solstice since 2010 and absolutely love it. I've used the forum over the past 6 years or so to learn various tips and tricks. My car had many mods when I got it and I used the forum to determine what was done. Anyway, Thanks all for sharing!

Anybody have the DC Sports CSB2008 Gunmetal Carbon Steel Front Single Bar Strut Bar ? I cant find a single picture of one of these installed on a solstice? What is involved with the install? Thoughts? Reviews? Anybody? Again, thank you all for the previous posts!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do. I will see if I can get some pics of it installed tonight.

Just a heads up, it is extremely difficult to get in. I am very good with tools (do my own brakes, suspension, tune ups, etc) and it took me 3 separate attempts to get it in. Lots of sweat and scraped knuckles.

Do you have a N/A or GXP? I have a 2006 N/A and there are rigid fluid lines on the passenger side (behind the rad) that make it extremely difficult to maneuver into place.

I managed to get it in and it fits perfectly. It does make a difference in the reduction of flex in the front end. Seems more planted in the front end.

I will take some pics tonight and upload.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to take some pics last night.

I am not sure if it makes a difference on the GXP. Possibly the cooling lines are in a different spot on the GXP. When I post tonight I will show where my issues were for the install.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here are some pics. It is really hard to see. The bar resides between the rad fan and the front of the engine where the serpentine belt runs. Bolt holes/studs already exists so there is no drilling.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The DDM brace is a lot easier to install than this one.
The issue as mentioned is the lines that are by the driver side attached to the frame with this bar and also the one from WERKS.
The design of these 2 front bars are not as good as the straight design of the DDM Venom Brace.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LatinVenom,

Totally agree. I managed to get the DC sports bar from a local, private seller in Canada (via Kijiji). It was brand new and only $40 CDN.I couldn't pass it up.
However, I wouldn't pay full price for it because of the hassles of install. I would get the DDM brace (likely the entire brace bundle) if the DC sports bar wasn't so inexpensive for me!

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I understand you fully, just take your time with the install since it will be difficult.
One suggestion if you can raise the car safely, it may give you a better way to deal with the lines attached to the chassis and getting the bar in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Tygriff, I can see why it was difficult to install. And why there are no images. Thanks for the pics! Sounds like I should pass on the DC Sports bar. For the price on amazon anyway. Looks like a solid piece though. I did consider the venom brace with the package from DDM but it is hit or miss with in stock options. I bought the race backbone (not in stock with the package?) and the probeam. DDM got them to me fast too. I just couldn't swallow ordering all 3 separate and paying more to get it now. I HAD to have the race backbone because its cool looking. A serious piece of metal that is. I put a magnet to it I couldn't believe it was aluminum. Doing the install tomorrow. Along with back rotors/pads and pro beam. I've had the car for 6 years and over 40,000 mostly top down enjoyable miles. Anxious to put it on some familiar roads with the DDM parts.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Why do you say is hit or miss with the Venom Brace?. I do not understand why folks dismiss this brace if you want your chassis to be completely secure from front to back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Venom. I did not dismiss your brace. DDM did not have the race backbone available with the kit but it was available separately. I bought the race backbone (not in stock with the package?) and the probeam. DDM got them to me fast too. I WANTED the kit but it is never in stock with the race backbone. BUT THE RACE BACKBONE WAS IN [email protected]!!!?????!!!!!!!! A LITTLE CONFUSING. Make a long story short. I can have all the parts I chose (race backbone,probeam,venom brace) NOW (before the cold weather) if I PAY MORE. Somehow this just doesn't seem right? I work a parts counter myself (wholesale and retail at the same counter) and I know things like this happen. But that doesn't help the feeling of being duped. So I can install your brace on my car IF I want to pay more than everybody that got the kit. My own fault. I did't want to wait for the snow. I had to have it now. Otherwise I would of moved on to some other project, abandoned the gxp, and spent the money elsewhere. (Chrome is expensive too!) lol So, I will probably end up with your brace when I can swallow the 50 extra bucks with shipping. OR MAYBE NOT

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
They build the bundles periodically. They are desirable which is why they are not always in stock

I bought the ProBesm when it was the only brace. Then I bought the backbone a couple of years later when it was developed. I don't have the LV brace because it will not fit my converted car.

DDM is a small business. They stay in business by having good products and excellent customer support.

If you want the LV brace, I recommend you get one and enjoy it rather than be upset about price.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Well hopefully Ivy or Dave are looking at this thread and maybe try to make a deal that would help both the seller and buyer.
I know the shipping cost is the big issue here, maybe some one traveling from Canada to the US could help.
The other would be to go ahead and get the AC brace and have some help with the install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. Not a big deal. Sorry I said anything. Like I said before my own fault. I did get the brace and beam installed over the weekend along with rotors and pads all around. Only one problem. The center bolt that goes through the cross member was not long enough. only 2 or 3 threads on top. Easy enough to fix. Anybody else run into this? I didn't even have to loosen the exhaust for the race backbone! I could feel the difference just pulling it out of the driveway. Ready for a road trip!

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I had the same experience with improved performance. Love the braces.

I have installed about 10 sets and not had any issues with the through bolts.
Did you notice any difference in length of the center bolt? Was the factory beam deformed in any way?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No I didn't notice anything unusual or twisted with the cross member. Everything looked solid. I do not know the history of this car. I bought it early 2010 with 12,000 miles. ALOT of mods done. GM Dealer didn't know anything other than the previous owner lost his ass in real estate. The middle section of the cross beam is thicker or taller than the sides. Bolts were all the same. I thought that too. I had all kinds of thread on the sides. Holes are drilled straight. 11/32 overkill odd size. I used 21/64 included in the many sets I have sitting around worked perfectly. I probably own 500 or more drill bits and not 1 11/32 so I improvised. Drove it to work today. WOW. Wish I would of done this in 2010. More traction. Better off the line. And wow the car does have a suspension other than twist. I am unintentionally chirping new pilot super sports! DIFFERENT VEHICLE Feels more solid than the g6 coupe I drive daily. Yes, I also love the braces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts