Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the expected gains with the DDM 2.0 tune vs the Trifecta, assuming a completely stock GXP? No descriptions on possible gains for either tune.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I see you are in northern IL. I have had my 07 gxp for only 2 years now, but from what I have read, a custom tune is better than a box. You have an excellent tuner available to you at performanceautowerks. Dave Gilbert is a master at tuning these cars, and not that far from you. I would and did go with that option and am very pleased with the results. I too was just going to get a tune, but for me, the allure of even more power from a high flow cat was irresistible for the price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you are in northern IL. I have had my 07 gxp for only 2 years now, but from what I have read, a custom tune is better than a box. You have an excellent tuner available to you at performanceautowerks. Dave Gilbert is a master at tuning these cars, and not that far from you. I would and did go with that option and am very pleased with the results. I too was just going to get a tune, but for me, the allure of even more power from a high flow cat was irresistible for the price.
Thanks. I'm researching all my different options and once I know the DDM specs I'll compare and see where I'm at. I'm not looking for huge gains, just a little bit more kick in the pants. I've got a completely stock car and will probably keep it that way, but PAW is being carefully considered. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
but from what I have read, a custom tune is better than a box.
Trifecta is somewhat a custom tune is that they set the initial settings for any known mods to your engine and then after applying the tune you log data for 15 to 30 minutes including a couple of WOT pulls. You email the data log to them and they look it over for any needed corrections and send you a new tune if needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
From what I have read, the advantage of going with either DDM or Werks tune is they actually support their work long term. I have seen members who have had difficulty getting any support from Trifecta.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you want more power then a stock setup will provide, spend money on an IC, IC piping and HFC (about $1200), then get a custom tune. If I would have had the IC and HFC, I could have been dyno tuned to upwards of 320hp at the wheels. Instead I had to settle for 286hp. I have heard good and bad things about Trifecta, more bad lately as they've moved on to the next gen 2.0L from the ATS, Camaro, CTS and Buick Regal. Dave at DDM is awesome!!!! He's almost ALWAYS available to help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you want more power then a stock setup will provide, spend money on an IC, IC piping and HFC (about $1200), then get a custom tune. If I would have had the IC and HFC, I could have been dyno tuned to upwards of 320hp at the wheels. Instead I had to settle for 286hp. I have heard good and bad things about Trifecta, more bad lately as they've moved on to the next gen 2.0L from the ATS, Camaro, CTS and Buick Regal. Dave at DDM is awesome!!!! He's almost ALWAYS available to help.
I agree, But OP is in IL. and close to PAW. Still think that is the best sollution, even if he only goes with a tune and nothing else, he can count on support if he feels it's not working properly, plus even though PAW is using HPtuners, it is really a custom tune with Dave Gilbert's seat of the pants expertise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stay away from trifecta, things aren't the same since vince isn't around... I myself and many other had terrible experiences with them. Just an fyi. Try ddm works, dave and ivy are great!

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
If you have plans to mod the car further than just adding a tune, you may want to consider an HP Tuner based tune, given that there have been reports of slow response from Trifecta.

I have no experience with the DDM tune, but can tell you that the canned (i.e. plug and play with no further fine tuning) Trifecta tune is excellent.

Stock = 260 bhp
GMPP = 290 bhp
Trifecta = ~320 bhp

Suggest you look at this thread for basic tune info.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/lnf-mod-primer-60166/

I would expect the DDM tune to be comparable to the Trifecta. Dave is wise not to quote power figures - dyno readings vary all over the place, and almost all are chassis dyno results in whp then converted to theoretical engine dyno results in bhp, and not everyone uses the same conversion factor.

If you really want to know what your improvement is if you fit such a tune, it is mandatory to do a before and after run on the same dynamometer.

Most bang for your buck would be either Trifecta or DDM, plus a high flow CAT, and leave it at that.

My experience with modding may also be of interest - see http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have plans to mod the car further than just adding a tune, you may want to consider an HP Tuner based tune, given that there have been reports of slow response from Trifecta.

I have no experience with the DDM tune, but can tell you that the canned (i.e. plug and play with no further fine tuning) Trifecta tune is excellent.

Stock = 260 bhp
GMPP = 290 bhp
Trifecta = ~320 bhp

Suggest you look at this thread for basic tune info.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/lnf-mod-primer-60166/

I would expect the DDM tune to be comparable to the Trifecta. Dave is wise not to quote power figures - dyno readings vary all over the place, and almost all are chassis dyno results in whp then converted to theoretical engine dyno results in bhp, and not everyone uses the same conversion factor.

If you really want to know what your improvement is if you fit such a tune, it is mandatory to do a before and after run on the same dynamometer.

Most bang for your buck would be either Trifecta or DDM, plus a high flow CAT, and leave it at that.

My experience with modding may also be of interest - see http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/
Thank you, Wspohn, very informative. I understand not wanting to quote exact figures. I'd just like to compare tunes and analyze cost vs possible gains while understanding that nothing is exact. I'm not looking to wring every bit of hp out her. I just want a bit more that I know is available via tune without having to spend thousands on parts/engine mods. Basically, a safe tune that bumps hp/torque up. The only other mod I'm considering is the DDM backbone.

It just amazes me how much can be gotten out of this car that I love. I run around with vettes/camaro's and can get ahead in twisties and with a bump could get a little bit farther ahead of their V8's before they catch up. :smile2:

Thanks, again. This is the best forum in terms of knowledge and informed opinions.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Seriously consider the high flow CAT as well (Solo is the one I have experience with). Added power without any down side.

GXP Ultra High Flow Converter2007-2009 Pontiac GXP 2.0L Turbo - Solo Performance

On the chassis end, I'd go backbone and see if the stiffer chassis is noticeable to you. If it is, and you like what you feel, the next step is the Probeam and then the front brace, but frankly if you think this sort of mod will be to your liking, you could do far worse than to just get DDMs bundled price of $355 for all three and then it is done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seriously consider the high flow CAT as well (Solo is the one I have experience with). Added power without any down side.

GXP Ultra High Flow Converter2007-2009 Pontiac GXP 2.0L Turbo - Solo Performance

On the chassis end, I'd go backbone and see if the stiffer chassis is noticeable to you. If it is, and you like what you feel, the next step is the Probeam and then the front brace, but frankly if you think this sort of mod will be to your liking, you could do far worse than to just get DDMs bundled price of $355 for all three and then it is done.
I've definitely thought of the bundle. Lord, if I keep reading this forum, I'm going to end up with a 400 whp monster with every conceivable upgrade! Self control, self control...

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
ILSolsticelvr, I have a custom hptuner's tune from Dave at DDM, a solo high flow cat and methanol injection and I'm at a little over 300 whp. 320 something if I remember right but I don't have my dyno print out around right now to check. If you don't want to mess around with the Methanol you can still get right around 300 whp, but probably just a little less. The aftermarket inter-cooler and IC pipes are nice to have but not a must and really will do very little to increase hp on our cars with these limited mods. I've been very happy with my tune. No cel's and no drivability issues whatsoever. I do use premium gas from a top tier vendor always and have no fuel related problems. From what I have read it seems like Dave at Werk's could probably produce just as good of tune as DDM Dave but if I were you I would definitely think about the high flow cat and the custom hptuner's tune.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I've definitely thought of the bundle. Lord, if I keep reading this forum, I'm going to end up with a 400 whp monster with every conceivable upgrade! Self control, self control...
The more I read about tunes going wrong, wrong size tires, bad CATs, turbo issues, seat sensors etc, etc, I just want to wrap my 08GXP in bubble wrap and leave it for the Mecum sale. Naw, that would be no fun ... but my 2017 budget may consist only of spending $1k on new HP tires.:crying:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After much research, I ended up going with Performance Autowerks custom tune. Getting her done this Saturday. :smile2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts