Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to make some upgrades to my 2.4 NA auto. It looks like these braces are a pretty cheap way to get better handling and feel out of the Sol. I see the Venom brace takes about 30 minutes to install, but I haven't seen how long it takes to install the backbone or probeam. Do you need special tools? How long does it generally take? Is this something a DIY person can do easily? If I wanted to install one thing at a time, like the venom brace one week, then wait till my next pay period before adding the probeam, then next period the backbone, would this make the car unstable for the road?

Thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Search is your friend, there are a few DIY instruction pictorials for all the parts either here, on the sister sky forum, on the kappaperformance forum.

Nothing at all wrong with adding additional stiffening piece by piece.

Basic tools (jack, jack stands, socket set, extensions, wrenches, etc).

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The probeam requires two holes be drilled through the rear cross member. It's easy but you need a good drill with the right size bit. Also goggles as the beam you will drill is full of expanded foam and will get into your eyes

The back bone is a matter of raising the car do you can get at the mounting bolts. It's a direct replacement for the factory brace. Just need a torque wrench.

Either job is very straight forward. Not complex at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks

thanks for the info. I just ordered the Venom Bar. I think next Ill replace the backbone. Does replacing the existing backbone make that much of a difference? I'm thinking of going with the race version.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Yes - it makes a huge (read: very discernible) difference. Not sure that going to the race version might be past the point of diminishing returns though. I have the mid-level one on mine. Interesting thing though, is that the race (with holes) weighs about the same as the mid-level one (thinner, but solid) - note: that statement is based on holding one in each hand - not scientific weighing :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good choice on upgrades , I havnt done them yet, but have been advised to by many on here for my next upgrades ! Please let me know (pm or post to all) on the differences you feel from the upgrades!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
My advise to folks here is to go at least 1st with the BackBone and then the ProBeam and Venom Brace.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The upgrades are well worth it...If you do them one at a time then go out and drive it's a lot of fun to feel the difference each one brings to the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am not the greatest DIY guy but I installed all three on my 2006 NA with very little difficulty. I would say all three took less than 2 1/2 hours to install. All you need is a decent set of sockets, (deep sockets help), ratcheting wrenches help, and a good drill bit for the probeam. I love how my car handles now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks y'all. I'll get it in Monday and will give y'all an update after I install it.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Yes - it makes a huge (read: very discernible) difference. Not sure that going to the race version might be past the point of diminishing returns though. I have the mid-level one on mine. Interesting thing though, is that the race (with holes) weighs about the same as the mid-level one (thinner, but solid) - note: that statement is based on holding one in each hand - not scientific weighing :)
The race is the middle one. It goes street, race, extreme

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
For what its worth, I have the street version on Punisher and it will easily pick up a wheel when crossing a steep driveway where previously it would not.

I have to agree with Soup. The street brace gets you 80% of the improvement at least and going for more is a personal decision.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep us posted on the install and the difference in ride. I am looking to do these mods myself, but the backbone is out of stock right now. I will probably do the front brace and rebar for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow both the Street and Race are now out of stock! They were in stock a few days ago!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ordered the cup holder and was going to order the backbone but as you said it is
out of stock. I was hoping to take advantage of the 10% discount they were offering for thanksgiving. :(

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Keep us posted on the install and the difference in ride. I am looking to do these mods myself, but the backbone is out of stock right now. I will probably do the front brace and rebar for now.
The ProBeam is a better fit to our car since it mimics the ZOK piece.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my install from DDM

Here is a picture of my Cross Bay Brace installed on my 2006 NA Solstice by DDM. I also have the 3/8 inch thick Back Bone Race Version and the rear Pro Beam installed. I did all three at one time along with the Valve Cover, Coil Cover, and power steering relocation earlier this week at DDMWorks. All the suspension mods helped out and I can tell a MAJOR difference in the handling of my car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought the backbone! Something called Extreme version 1 for only $144. 1/2 thick. There is an exteme 2 also but I've never head of them having these. I jumped on the extreme for only $144 + 10% off for cyber Monday!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just installed the Venom bar (no backbone or probeam installed yet) and wow I can tell a huge difference! It feels so much steadier and firmer! I always disliked the front end motion, but its great now! Huge gain for a little investment! I'm looking foward to getting the backbone in the next few days!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts